The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks!..............your dad and uncle did a fantastic job!..........everyone who came to the site said they'd never seen such high quality, precise work..............I'm very lucky that Niels choose to put his best guys on the job!

I'll burn the photos for you on a DVD.
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

The stainless steel on the outside has been finished, cleaned and oiled.

And the fabrics guys have started doing their thing.

Old 15th December 2008
Gear Maniac

the outside steelfinish looks very cool!
i can't wait to see the finished room inside.

i love your project an the docomentation
cheers
Mika
Old 15th December 2008
Here for the gear

Hi Darius,

Congratiulations with your almost finished mastering room thumbsup
Your room looks truly amazing (thanks to your Belgian/Netherlands design/construction team).
This is the best studio construction tread so far.
Thank you for taking the time to make very nice pictures and post them with some background info

I would very much like to see/hear your new room when you would organize a "gearsltuz tour"

The waiting is almost over man, but the result is stunning!

Groetjes,
Davy (Belgium)
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
The stainless steel on the outside has been finished, cleaned and oiled.

Make sure you don't press the wrong button when in there. You might end up in a different universe!

Looking great Darius!

Alistair
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Guys, thanks!

Yes, it either looks like a time machine or an airport toilet LOL!
Old 16th December 2008
jdg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guys, thanks!

Yes, it either looks like a time machine or an airport toilet LOL!
sometimes those are the same thing depending on the airport!
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
sometimes those are the same thing depending on the airport!

Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

You can call it "Timemachine Mastering" or "Space Traveling Mastering" It looks like a spaceship/timemachine. Damn nice looking Darius!
Keep the photo's coming!
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Is that stainless steel inside the studio too? Interesting.

Looking very, very cool.
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

This is UNBELIEVABLE ...

standing ovations to Tom & Darius

* 100000³³³³³³³³
Old 17th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
Is that stainless steel inside the studio too? Interesting.

Looking very, very cool.
Yes, interesting

To make the long story short:

Darius's room is a « Front to Back Room » and it is in it's philosophy very, very close to a non-environment design – which Tom Hidley introduced in the early 80s.

In fact, FTB rooms are based on the non-environment design ideas – which IMHO are the best rooms. FTB just adds a few twists and variations in the design.

The principle of the design (energy build up in the front) in fact imposes the front wall to be reflective at most frequencies (though the front wall is carefully engineered to allow some lower freq to partially go through, and be trapped there).

This may seem odd at first, but it is normal and a very important part of the design. These rooms are in a way « hemi-anechoic » rooms - some sort of inverted LEDE. The speakers also behave very much as if they were flush mounted.

If any of you are coming to the "Studio Warming", I'll be happy to answer more questions about the design...

Old 17th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quick question. How did you determine where the skylines go?

BTW very impressed.

Glenn
Old 17th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Quick question. How did you determine where the skylines go?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3609840-post118.html

Quote:
BTW very impressed.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn
Old 17th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
That totally explains something that happened with one of our customers. We put a cloud over top (the same way you did) but found placing some diffusion (our d1s) just over top of the mix chair opened up the mix quite a bit (much more broad but focused) . thumbsup

BTW we are opened up a office/plant in January in the UK. Next time I make it over to Europe we should hook up for a coffee.

Glenn
Old 17th December 2008

Quote:
That totally explains something that happened with one of our customers. We put a cloud over top (the same way you did) but found placing some diffusion (our d1s) just over top of the mix chair opened up the mix quite a bit (much more broad but focused) . thumbsup
Yes - it has a lot to do with how the brain works (HRTF). And a little goes a long way too...

Quote:
BTW we are opened up a office/plant in January in the UK. Next time I make it over to Europe we should hook up for a coffee.

Glenn
You're most welcomed to drop by - the offices are in Brussels, Belgium. I expect it will last a bit longer than a coffee though...
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Glenn
I had the pleasure of working at a new facility in the late '90's. Chips Davis was the designer. He spec'd skylines over the mix position for the very same reason.

Last edited by andsonic; 17th December 2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 18th December 2008
Lives for gear

The end is approaching!

Or is it just a beginning?!

Old 18th December 2008
Lives for gear

I know how much those diffusers cost, good to see they double up as a place to store your drinks heh

Herwig
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

Looking incredible!
Old 19th December 2008
Gear Guru

World Class!!!! I am glad I was not the guy cutting all that wood for the skylines!!!
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

The fabric chaps are finished - there only needs to be a bit of finishing around the diffusers, which will be done after Xmas.

It looks amazing and the guys did a fantastic job........it's hard to see in the photos, but these guys are normally furniture upholsterers - it has a quality, slightly padded, furniture feel/look to it.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not 100% sure i'm going to keep these lights..........the original plan was to dim them to about half, but (i found out today) at half dim they start to give off a high pitched hum (even though the actual dimmer is outside the room)

Although it would be perfectly acceptable in anything other then a mastering room, in this room there is no other noise except what's coming from your own body, so it's noticable.

To run them at full will require having the airco running all the time, which is not good.

But anyway, for now it's ok and something to take care of in 2009

EDIT: I've just realized i can swap out the 45watt for 30watt lamps, which hopefully solves the problem

Old 19th December 2008
MaG
Here for the gear

There is still one Pic. missing........................ where Darius is beating up the guy who put his Coke on the Diffuser.
So Darius, please upload the missing Pic.
Ok and now serious. This is the absolute best Studio building Documantion i have ever seen. Thank you so much for your invested time to keep us all up-to-date. Would love to see it and much more to here it. So if there is a chance i would appreciate it. Good luck and good business.
MaG (sorry for my english, it´s basic)
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

OK
You get my vote for "coolest control room lighting". Is this a control room or an operating theatre?
Old 19th December 2008
Gear Maniac

AWS!!!!!

A Studio with a climbing wall inside ???
This is the best idea to give your ears a break, i had ever seen in my live!
When i ever plan to visit your studio, now the main reason is the climbing wall

cheers
Mika
Old 20th December 2008

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure i'm going to keep these lights..........the original plan was to dim them to about half, but (i found out today) at half dim they start to give off a high pitched hum (even though the actual dimmer is outside the room)

Although it would be perfectly acceptable in anything other then a mastering room, in this room there is no other noise except what's coming from your own body, so it's noticable.
I don't think what we heard is the dimmer - it's a noise-less one, and is outside. What we heard is the actual vibration in the Halogen lamp filaments. That's the problem with them now and then.

Talking about low room noise floor...

The noise is really faint, I couldn't hear it when breathing in or out.

Try with the lower watts model, but I'm not sure it will solve the bulb-self-noise problem.
Old 20th December 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe use a circuit that switches out 1,2 or 3 bulbs of the 4 instead of dimming? That way you've got some control over room lighting levels without having to deal with the hum.

Did you try different manufacturers for the Halogen bulbs yet (do you say bulbs to these things anyway?)? There may be differences on how the filament is produced or at least how it's fixed inside the bulb!?
Old 20th December 2008

Just to make sure it's clear: there is no problem with the electrical system nor the dimmer. The whole system is 100% and dead quiet/clean, no Hum.

So the problem is within the type of halogen bulbs used... Which vibrates.
Old 20th December 2008
Lives for gear

Indeed, as Thomas points out, it's the halogen lamps themselves.

When not dimmed, they're ok..........so i'll try the 30watt versions.
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

I will ask my dad a great industrial electro designer and technical doctor/engineer (he maked allot of banks, hospitals in the netherlands and france) If he knows something. We have here in my parents house a special setup for the dimmed lights (normal and halogeen mixed in 1control group...)
There is always the LED option open if nothing will work. But those are expencieve one's with nice good warm color.
Keep you updated.
Nice Xmess and happy newyear!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search