The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th November 2008
  #151
Lives for gear
 
LeMauce's Avatar
Darius, sorry dat ik je weer lastig val. Kan ik je ergens op bereiken (email?) om alvast wat meer informatie te weten komen (prijs per album etc en met welk materiaal je werkt). Ik heb 2 albums hier in parijs al bijna klaar liggen voor mastering en afwerking (maar geen deadline)
alvast bedankt en verder veel succes met de bouw.
Old 13th November 2008
  #152
Gear Addict
 
mischa janisch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Hi Mischa,

I asked the contractor when he'd be finished, but all i got was a long, demonic laugh with lots of reverb!
Oops - are you sure your room's RT60 time is speced within ITU limits?
Old 14th November 2008
  #153
Gear Maniac
 

Sorry if this has been asked before (This thread is long!), but what's the absorption/insulation material you are using. Doesn't look like either mineral or glass stuff to me.

A studio to envy!

Cheers
Old 14th November 2008
  #155
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

Seriously though, there should be around a week to go on the main build, but still quite a lot of things to be done after that, like wood on floor, fabric on the walls etc - but the end seems to be in sight!







Old 14th November 2008
  #156
Gear Maniac
 
mikahanau's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post

Do you have any absorbtion coefficent datas for this material?
I can't find something similar on their website:

http://www.homatherm.com/fileadmin/m..._flexcl_de.pdf.
Is it the simple isoflex CL ?
Looks like a very dead room at the moment.. waiting for see the wall and celling finish

I love this thread, thanks for sharing with us

cheers
Mika
Old 14th November 2008
  #157
Moderator
 
Northward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikahanau View Post
Looks like a very dead room at the moment.. waiting for see the wall and celling finish
It will be on the dead side, but not 'very' dead - just dry room.

Over 16m² of diffusion in total, plus the FTB design, hard floor = not dead. Reverb time should be very balanced over the full spectrum in there.

Cheers!
Old 18th November 2008
  #158
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

heh

Old 18th November 2008
  #159
Gear Maniac
 

Looking at those diffusers got me thinking.

The blocks are inside an open box. Wouldn't they be more effective if they had no box and were mounted on the wall/ceiling surface?
Old 18th November 2008
  #160
Moderator
 
Northward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhum View Post
Looking at those diffusers got me thinking.

The blocks are inside an open box. Wouldn't they be more effective if they had no box and were mounted on the wall/ceiling surface?
2 years of development of the pattern which those are based on told us that they should be inside the box because they are more effective this way.

One of the obvious reasons is that edge sections loose a lot of the well efficiency if not in the box...
Old 19th November 2008
  #161
Lives for gear
 
judah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Thomas, would you please explain what advantages Homatherm has compared to rockwool and other similar stuff? Is it just an ecological issue or is there something more goin on? It looks interesting....
Old 19th November 2008
  #162
Moderator
 
Northward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by judah View Post
Thomas, would you please explain what advantages Homatherm has compared to rockwool and other similar stuff? Is it just an ecological issue or is there something more goin on? It looks interesting....
- Density / surface impedance are ideal,
- Excellent acoustic performances, superior to rockwool of equivalent density and thickness,
- Green product, all made of recycled paper cellulose
- Not irritating for the workers,
- Easy to install
- Fire resistant (this thing simply won't burn although it's paper based!)

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to provide any specific data we have about the product as the measurements we have are private and shared between the few companies who paid for them.

On the website (in german) you can find absorption figures for 4cm thick panels, which should give you a good idea of the performance of the product in thicker bats (we use 10 cm or 12 cm layers).

If you have a reseller near you, I suggest you try it!
Old 19th November 2008
  #163
Lives for gear
 
judah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
- Density / surface impedance are ideal,
- Excellent acoustic performances, superior to rockwool of equivalent density and thickness,
- Green product, all made of recycled paper cellulose
- Not irritating for the workers,
- Easy to install
- Fire resistant (this thing simply won't burn although it's paper based!)

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to provide any specific data we have about the product as the measurements we have are private and shared between the few companies who paid for them.

On the website (in german) you can find absorption figures for 4cm thick panels, which should give you a good idea of the performance of the product in thicker bats (we use 10 cm or 12 cm layers).

If you have a reseller near you, I suggest you try it!
Thanks Thomas for the fast and detailed answer. I'll surely look into it. Rockwool is really a pain in the ass to use.
Old 19th November 2008
  #164
Gear Maniac
 

Some Homatherm info...
HOMATHERM flexCL Cellulose Insulation Batts | Construction Resources

Now to find UK prices and resellers...
Old 20th November 2008
  #165
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

Doin' some testing:





Old 20th November 2008
  #166
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

I see you guys are using some nice "test" speakers

looks good Darius and Tom - I'm envious as usual

Jo
Old 23rd November 2008
  #167
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Doin' some testing:
What are the initial results?

Terrific build
Old 23rd November 2008
  #168
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

Thanks!

First impressions during the testing on Thursday were very good. As i walked around the room, i was amazed at how the level of bass didn't peak and dip as you experience in most rooms, but stayed very even. I was also very happy that the sound at the back (where the clients will sit) was also extremely good - no bass boost like you'd normally expect there - presumably because the back isn't really the back! - there's a massive bass track extending behind more then a meter (1.6 meters at the sides!)

Stereo image was razor sharp....the sense of depth and space on a Ruben Gonzalez CD was uncanny and we were both amazed....the room is still a bit too dry, but the side diffusers still need to go in as well as the furniture.

Isolation was as expected.......there was a large lorry parked right outside with it's engine running, but we didn't hear (feel) it at all inside the studio.

I'm looking forward to getting my big B&W's in there!
Old 24th November 2008
  #169
Here for the gear
 
Cortez's Avatar
 

Wow!

Hey Darius!

It looks absolutely stunning! I'll be looking forward to hearing my first mixes mastered by you in there!

See you soon!

Erik...

www.studiosilvester.nl
-
Old 25th November 2008
  #170
Lives for gear
 
Gie-Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Thanks!
I was also very happy that the sound at the back (where the clients will sit) was also extremely good - no bass boost like you'd normally expect there - presumably because the back isn't really the back! - there's a massive bass track extending behind more then a meter (1.6 meters at the sides!)
That's good to hear
Old 25th November 2008
  #171
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

Erik, G, looking forward to showing you guys the new place!

Internal building work is completed, oak floor should go down tomorrow. Trying to set a date for the uphosterer to do the internal fabrics.................still some suprises to come!

More pics tomorrow
Old 26th November 2008
  #172
Gear Head
 

Darius,

Next time you do some tests, could you possibly save a couple of sweeps at various spots? I'd love to get the feel of it via Altiverb!

Also it would be a great idea to email Aram from Audio Ease, I believe he is not far from you guys. There is also a basic tutorial/video on how to do it on their website. I am not assuming that you don't know how it's done.

To tell you the truth, you never have enough impulse responses.

I'd definitely do the capture before (now) and after - when everything is in place.

I hope you like my ideas.

Me I like your room
Old 26th November 2008
  #173
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

The oak floor goes down in couple of hours!









Work begins to mount the stainless steel plate that will cover the outside of the studio.




Old 26th November 2008
  #174
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

Amazing Darius!

Will be great to see all the fabric go up .

Regards,
Dirk
Old 26th November 2008
  #175
Lives for gear
 
Darius van H's Avatar
 

Dirk, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing is... View Post
Darius,

Next time you do some tests, could you possibly save a couple of sweeps at various spots? I'd love to get the feel of it via Altiverb!

Hi the thing is.......i think the point of a plug like Altiverb is that it captures the sonic character of interesting spaces, whereas a mastering room is purposefully designed to be sonically uninteresting!
Old 26th November 2008
  #176
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Dirk, thanks!




Hi the thing is.......i think the point of a plug like Altiverb is that it captures the sonic character of interesting spaces, whereas a mastering room is purposefully designed to be sonically uninteresting!
Darius,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I find your room interesting. As a matter of fact, very interesting!

If you browse through the Altiverb library, you will find all sorts of impulse responses, including control rooms, car interiors etc...

I think your room is a good candidate.
Old 26th November 2008
  #177
Lives for gear
 
Cameron Johnson's Avatar
 

Darius,

You are my hero...more so in fact. You are my idol, as of today. That room is GORGEOUS! No other word describes it. I can't wait to hear the tunes coming from within.thumbsup
Old 27th November 2008
  #178
Gear Head
 
Mike Vale's Avatar
 

I'm comming.... dfegad heh

Simply WoW

Mike
Old 27th November 2008
  #179
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
It's looking phenomenal. Such attention to detail...should last 100 years.
Old 27th November 2008
  #180
Gear Maniac
 

I just want to say thanks for posting this "construction diary". Seeing a professional studio build in such detail is highly enlightening for folks like me who are dealing with more meagre builds. Its just great to see how the bigger budgets are spent!

Most generous of you to share.

I'm sure it wont harm your studio marketing/promotion, but whatever the benefit is to you, it is most deserved.

Just wanted to say cheers.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Clueless / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
1772
vocomotion / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
126
Jules / So much gear, so little time
60
mischa janisch / Mastering forum
0
Herman Munster / Studio building / acoustics
16

Forum Jump
Forum Jump