The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Darius
what kind of aircon are you guys using?

Looks killer

Jo
Old 5th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
Hey Darius
what kind of aircon are you guys using?

Looks killer

Jo
Hey Jo,

It's an AEROVAL - CLIMAVITAL reversible monobloc system based on a 5kW Toshiba pump, built by a company in southern France. I use that system most of the time because it has a very small footprint, is easy to install (no pressurized copper tubes, i.e monobloc), and it is dead quiet for a 5kW system. The noise level is so low on the studio side of the ducts, that often we cannot even measure it. The machine itself produces under 50dB R(w) at full power - so it doesn't require a too heavily treated or distant central airco room. It is slightly modified to meet our strict noise level requirements.

In multirooms facilites, it's a good system too since you can basically have one per room and save quite a bit on the electric bill by being able to turn on the Airco only where it is needed. So in short, it makes things easier.
Old 8th October 2008
Lives for gear

There is no progress this week as the ceiling hangers haven't arrived. Should come in on Friday or Monday, after which work can recommence.
Old 9th October 2008
what about balanced power?

Hi Darius,

Are you going to add a cabinet for balanced power? Or maybe two (one for the analog gear and one for the digital gear?).
something like this: Wall Cabiniet Balanced Power Systems

Sander

-------------------------
The Saint of Sound I stereo and surround mastering I The Netherlands

Last edited by sandertje; 9th October 2008 at 01:06 AM..
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandertje View Post
Hi Darius,

Are you going to add a cabinet for balanced power? Or maybe two (one for the analog gear and one for the digital gear?).
something like this: Wall Cabiniet Balanced Power Systems

Sander

-------------------------
The Saint of Sound I stereo and surround mastering I The Netherlands
Hi Sander,

There's a big expensive electrical something being installed, but i don't know the details!
Old 10th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Darius,
Don't save on electrical cables (i am sure you already have something cool in mind), even if it sounds esoteric, I find it makes a huge difference.
Old 11th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Guy,

I have to admit, my knowledge about electrics is very limited, so i've left the decisions about specifications and materials to the studio designer and a professional electrician!
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

The last materials arrived on tuesday and work started again yesterday.

I'll get over there on saturday to take some new pictures.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

progress..................

Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

a bit more progress:

Old 19th October 2008
Looking good Darius.
Old 20th October 2008
Outstanding! thumbsup
Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 20th October 2008
Gear Addict

That looks amazing Darius! Can't wait to see the place up and running! thumbsup
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Addict

Very cool... its becomin "heimelig"... heh
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Lazy, good for nothing.....

Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Much respect for the hard work you're puting in this place, looks fab!

Now go serve those guys in the last pic some coffee...
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

yea this looks really great

congrats and keep posting these nice pics
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks!

A bit more progress:

Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Magnificent !
Old 24th October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
Magnificent !
Stupendous!
Old 24th October 2008
Gear Nut

I'm trying to count the total layers on those side walls now, please help me out.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Darius, ziet er nu al veelbelovend uit! Mooi room design ook! Veel succes met de verder opbouw en installatie. Als ik ooit weer een mix/opname project doe in nederland probeer ik eens langs te komen. Even koekeloeren

Succes!
Mauce, Paris V2 studio
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Mauce, thanks, hope to see you in the new place!

Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Old 29th October 2008
Wow, I didn't expect the difusors would be hanging at the ceiling. It sure looks great!

I'm still very interested what you guys are using for getting balanced power. Are you using 2kW trafo's and who is making them?
Old 29th October 2008

Quote:
Wow, I didn't expect the difusors would be hanging at the ceiling. It sure looks great!
Thank you!

Only 4 of them are - and you will see in the next week that another structure comes around them... The other 8 are in the back wall in front of the bass trap systems.

Quote:
I'm still very interested what you guys are using for getting balanced power. Are you using 2kW trafo's and who is making them?
We are using a professional electrician and common sense...
Old 29th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Thank you!

Only 4 of them are - and you will see in the next week that another structure comes around them...
Can´t wait to see what will happen!

Are the diffusors on the ceiling on the first reflection points?
Old 29th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques Beraques View Post
Are the diffusors on the ceiling on the first reflection points?
Yes and... no. First reflections are only a part of the equation but it's not only that. It's also about optimizing the diffused field over the sweet spot, so their placement is such that the engineer (Darius) will hear even less the specific speaker location - the ceiling virtually disappears.

This is estimated by using probabilities / models of the distributed diffusion. From that and E.R. we extract what their best placement is, what is the optimum amount of diffusion needed and the theoritical bandwidth needed. We then adapt the size and depth (sometimes the pattern too) of the standard diffusor design to fit these requirements. Darius's diffusor gained a few centimeters in all directions compared to the original design we use as a basis.
Old 29th October 2008
Gear Head

Hi there...

looking great, but these are not acoustic hangers right? We have exactly the same here in our country and they are not acoustic.

Cheers.

M.
Old 29th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vale View Post
Hi there...

looking great, but these are not acoustic hangers right? We have exactly the same here in our country and they are not acoustic.

Cheers.

M.
Well, actually, they are.

If you look closer, you will see that black polymer stripe in between the two plates, which is used as a decoupling material, interfacing between the hanger itself and the rail clip system. See the red arrow.

The hanger goes through the top metal plate (without touching it) to the bottom metal plate (pointed by green arrow) to which it is fixed. It is facing downwards. The top metal plate (blue arrow) clips into the rail system from over the bottom one. Therefore, this way the load of the ceiling is indeed put on the polymer which rests on the bottom plate (green arrow): it's decoupling.

BUT those are not as efficient as Sylomer or spring based systems. And for a good reason: because it is simply not needed. Darius's studio is a bunker design (self-standing massive box in a box design), whose only surface which is in contact with the rest of the building is the bottom of the 30cm thick concrete sub-structure (see first pages).

This concrete sub-structure is interfaced / separated from the building's original concrete slab by a decoupling polymer, calculated to provide an effective decoupling frequency of just under... 10Hz. The ceiling is hanged from the outer shell which rests solely on this decoupled sub-structure.

Which means that the whole studio cannot be subject to external parasite vibrations - including the ceiling. So, no theoritical need for particular 'acoustic' ceiling hangers, but to be thourough, we still put those - which are already providing way more than we actually need.

EDIT: actually the model used is the version interfacing between upper rail and lower rail network. So, same as if with only a single rail network - but they are not interfacing with the hangers themselves but with the first rail network (top one, same-same though, see second picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread-ceiling_4b.jpg   Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread-ceiling_3b.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search