The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
"In both it is appropriate"

It's a new approach to design, although based on proven concepts. So there aren't so many around yet. Since it's very difficult to upgrade older designs to FTB scheme, you need a "ground-up" build. And those don't show up every week...
Give me a couple of years and I'll contact you for one

Quote:
One last thing: beware when visiting a "LEDE" room, as a lot of them that claim to be LEDE aren't properly implemented. And those are pretty bad.
Could you elaborate on this (e.g. common 'mistakes' made in the design or implementation thereof)?

Quote:
As long as it's not too thick - and has a decent permeability, you're good to go. I systematically use furniture grade (high-end) fabric because it will resist install, years of use & shoulder rubbing, is easy to clean and... is fire rated. The latter being very important. This type of fabric is quite thicker compared to other "normal" types.

Be sure to use a proper sub-layer though (Dacron in our case, see picture)
It sounds like my cotton will do the job just fine, it too has a furniture grade feel to it (though I will have to treat it to be flame ******ant).

Regarding the Dacron; Is it used for a better finish or are there other things that come into play? I'll be using FlexCL (thanks to you) covered with fabric (front and rear basstraps+side walls).

I have more questions but these will be sent to you directly. I've hijacked the thread plenty
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnHardware View Post
I have more questions but these will be sent to you directly. I've hijacked the thread plenty
or start a new thread and we all learn from the conversation
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
or start a new thread and we all learn from the conversation
I would if I could but it's more a business inquiry type of deal .

If there is anything more I would like to ask publicly I'll make sure you get the link .
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Head

Hoi Darius,

I just read the whole thread, and I really should be asleep right now! man, congrats on the build.. It looks really great!

Groetjes uit Amsterdam West..

Robbert
Old 2nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Here's some photos of my new Hexateq Studio 700 monoblock power amps (Hypex):

Old 2nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Veeery nice
Old 5th June 2009
R_O
Gear Head

very cool
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Thanks!

I have the feeling i am going to hear them very soon
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Question

Hey, where did all the pictures go (excluding the amp ones....)?!?!?!
Old 9th July 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

there are construction photos on darius' site.
Amsterdam Mastering Construction
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
there are construction photos on darius' site.
Amsterdam Mastering Construction
I know thanks. I was just wondering where the pics here went. I liked the bigger pictures better.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks!

Wow nice piece of engineering... how is the sound?
quit interested to have them too to be honest....
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry about the disappearance of the pictures.

It'll take a few days to sort out.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry about the disappearance of the pictures.

It'll take a few days to sort out.
No problem Darius. Thanks.
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
heh

I took that photo myself with the 10 second timer..........i wonder if anyone can spot the deliberate mistake.
Is your mouse on your left-hand side? Or are you an ambi-mouser?

Also, gorgeous space - not just the room, but the whole area; the lounge, climbing wall, etc. But the room (both the exterior and the interior) are PHENOMENAL looking, and I'm sure the sound is glorious.

The guys who did the work clearly were experienced veterans with experience in high-end precision projects, and the attention to detail shows.
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear Head

Look at which Hexateq amps (and the room where they reside) are on the home page of the Hexateq website:

Old 2nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Walker View Post
Is your mouse on your left-hand side? Or are you an ambi-mouser?

Also, gorgeous space - not just the room, but the whole area; the lounge, climbing wall, etc. But the room (both the exterior and the interior) are PHENOMENAL looking, and I'm sure the sound is glorious.

The guys who did the work clearly were experienced veterans with experience in high-end precision projects, and the attention to detail shows.
I'm left handed.

Thanks for the nice comments!

The guys who did the work were AMAZING!..........these guys are 60 & 61 years old and their experience and old-school work ethic really showed!

....................and they work WORLDWIDE: J. van der Marel BV
Old 15th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Amazing mastering room
Old 14th October 2009
Here for the gear

Wow Darius, this looks really amazing.

Just about to finish an album, still looking for a nice place to master (and a place to work heh).

Now I found one....

Tot snel..
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats. Impeccable attention to detail, workmanship and craftwork.

Inspiring.

(I wonder if you can find that quality of contractor in California?)

Darwin
Old 28th October 2009
Here for the gear

This looks great thumbsup, I just stumbled upon this thread right now and had no idea of this mastering studio so close to home (I'm based out of the south-east part of Amsterdam).
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

beautiful.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

I read the first half of the thread then skimmed the second half so if this has already been discussed I apologize.

Does anyone wanna guess how much has been invested in this business? I don´t expect Darius to answer because it is sorta private stufftutt, but that does not mean we can´t guess right?

So.... anyone want to make the first guess? I have no idea at all what it would cost and I bet the gear alone is worth a staggering amount
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonvega View Post
I read the first half of the thread then skimmed the second half so if this has already been discussed I apologize.

Does anyone wanna guess how much has been invested in this business? I don´t expect Darius to answer because it is sorta private stufftutt, but that does not mean we can´t guess right?

So.... anyone want to make the first guess? I have no idea at all what it would cost and I bet the gear alone is worth a staggering amount
I know what the construction budget was (don't ask. I don't think it's my place to tell) so I'm also interested in what people think this will cost you. Gear is easy, Google will tell you that. What's your (total sum) guess?
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Maniac

This is an amazing thread. Thank you for sharing your studio build!
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnHardware View Post
I am wondering what you think the biggest flaw/flaws is/are of (a) LEDE room(s).
I've spent time in three LEDE rooms, one of them that I built by piecing together info in the pre-Internet days. All three of them had good qualities in terms of being analytical, but none were particularly accurate in my opinion. In my own LEDE room, I modified the diffusion, absorption and trapping components continuously for about four years before deciding that it just wasn't going to get any better.

Most of the experienced listeners that came to my LEDE room were initially impressed, then later typically thought that the room was on the dry side. I think the imaging and apparent room size/ambient signature was what struck people initially, then later, the dryness would be more obvious. By the time I was ready to abandon the concept, I'd added enough "live" to the "dead" end, it was no longer dead!
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Mastering Table

@ Darius van H
where you got this nice table from? ..i looking my self for the mastering table in Berlin/Germany.
Thanx
J
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Nut

I revisit this thread every few months just to look at the pictures!
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

after looking at this thread so many times.....i have been having dreams of skyline diffusers in my sleep
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Addict

Just read this thread. Now I'm figuring out what organs I can live without to sell on the black market.

I'm also really curious about that front wall, does it generate much in the way of early reflections back toward the listening position coming in the same direction as the speakers? I kind of got the impression that the idea was that it wouldn't. I might wind up burning my brain from the inside out trying to figure this one out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search