The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Nut

WOW!!!!!!!!

nothing more to say, becausemy mouth waters sooooo much!
It´s sheer lunacy!! Damn good work!
Old 23rd February 2009

Hi Darius,
congratulations on your finished control room, it looks very impressive. Your room has got similar colour scheme like my studio

You used to have two empty racks from Sterling consoles in early pictures but I can´t see them on final photos. Do you plan some gear upgrade and their later addition?
http://www.wisseloordmastering.com/a...irst_setup.jpg

Enjoy your new mastering room and I hope you have many satisfied international customers!
Old 24th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIRI PASKA View Post
Enjoy your new mastering room and I hope you have many satisfied international customers!
Jiri, just curious, how do you like the Far speakers?
Old 26th February 2009
Here for the gear

amazing work. i bet this thing did cost a fortune. i hope it makes the difference :D
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

@ Jiri: Thanks .............re: the sterling consoles.......i used those in the old studio, but decided to slim down and simplify the new room in terms of gear / furniture.

@ Skeptics

Here's the final photos after tweaking:

Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Absolutely stunning Darius, have fun!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Maniac

What a shame that studio door doesn't open like they do on Star Trek.
Old 26th February 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

quick question: how do u access the machine room?
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
quick question: how do u access the machine room?
No machine room!...........the thing is, my setup is really simple. Just one computer with 2 soundcards. So the cable duct goes from the desk under the floor, under the sofa at the back to the outside, where the computer is. Also outside is the Avocet (click click click - no thanks!).
Old 26th February 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

simple is the best!

you have a server onsite too? thats in diff room probably, cat 5/6 cables are easy to run.
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Also outside is the Avocet (click click click - no thanks!).
sorry if this is a dumb question... what's an Avocet?
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Maniac

a bird...............
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhum View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question... what's an Avocet?
Crane Song Website

Awesome monitor controller.
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Wow.
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
you have a server onsite too? thats in diff room probably, cat 5/6 cables are easy to run.
I don't have a dedicated server, just a yousendit pro account...........i always found ftp'ing with clients a chore, whereas anyone can use yousendit. Who knows, maybe in the future, but with a download of 1gb taking around 10 minutes, it's no priorty. The only disadvantage with yousendit is that the links self-destruct after 14 days, so i get a few requests to re-upload.
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only disadvantage with yousendit is that the links self-destruct after 14 days, so i get a few requests to re-upload.
You can change the expiration date if you go to sent items. : )
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

True, only, i send and receive so much stuff that i'm scared to change this option, lest my "space" becomes full.
Old 1st March 2009
Here for the gear

Looks amazing Darius, bet it sounds great!
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Great work! I'll think twice in the future about starting a mastering studio in The Netherlands heh
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Incredible job Darius !!!!
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Love to hear the full story on acoustics + planning,
hopefully I´ll have the time to join Guy, when he´s here in april, I´d love to see/hear it in person!!

Cheers Tom
Old 11th March 2009
2 soundcards?

Hi Darius,

2 soundcards? Does it work with running one card on 48 khz and the other on 44 kHz, so you can do an 'analog sample rate conversion'?

Thursday, Pier Durk and I will do the second 'which is the best mastring amp' test. Is it OK that we drop by that day (and maybe bring a amp?):

Sander van der Heide » Amp heaven
Old 11th March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandertje View Post
2 soundcards? Does it work with running one card on 48 khz and the other on 44 kHz, so you can do an 'analog sample rate conversion'?
It works with any sample rate - Comming from 2 different computers for PB and capture we've switched to one computer running 2 RME cards here about one year ago. Much better in terms of ergonomics...
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Sander,

On Thursday i've got an attended album mastering, then at around 17:30 Richard from Hexateq is bringing my new amps: Hexateq Studio 700's, which are based around Hypex 700 watt amps (monoblocks). If you want you can borrow them for a few days for your test, after which you can also borrow my Vincent 600 watt amps which are also very good.

re: Soundcards..........what Mischa said!

Mischa, which RME's are you using?.............at the moment i'm using one RME (AES32) & one Lynx (AES16e), but i'd rather use two RME's!
Old 11th March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Sander,

On Thursday i've got an attended album mastering, then at around 17:30 Richard from Hexateq is bringing my new amps: Hexateq Studio 700's, which are based around Hypex 700 watt amps. If you want you can borrow them for a few days for your test, after which you can also borrow my Vincent 600 watt amps which are also very good.

re: Soundcards..........what mischa said!

Mischa, which RME's are you using?.............at the moment i'm using one RME (AES32) & one Lynx (AES16e), but i'd rather use two RME's!
At the moment it's the AES 32 (PCI) and an older Digi96(?) - the one with the Stereo AES inputs - but we have another AES 32 (PCIe) which will be replaced with a MADI card in the PostPro Studio. We might put this in the Mastering computer and try a 3 card Setup (I have a Pinguin Metering SW that hasn't been used for years, because it won't share cards - you have to close the capturing DAW to use it...). We'll see if they behave...
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

OK!

I also have a couple of old digi96PAD cards but they didn't work with the AES32.........i'll try again when i have time (maybe a mobo issue).

By the way, i don't think it'll work to use two AES32's, as Sequoia will see them as one soundcard (with double in/outputs)!
Old 11th March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
OK!

I also have a couple of old digi96PAD cards but they didn't work with the AES32.........i'll try again when i have time (maybe a mobo issue).

By the way, i don't think it'll work to use two AES32's, as Sequoia will see them as one soundcard (with double in/outputs)!
Haven't thought about that... Maybe there is a workaround using different drivers for each card? ASIO/WDM. But it's not a big deal - I haven't been using Pinguin for many years, it would be nice to have, but it's no essential.
Old 12th March 2009
Quote:
OK!

Is it possible to open Sequoia twice with separate samplerates? I know Pyramix can't open twice, so maybe a simple program like Audition will do.
Old 12th March 2009
Quote:
Hi Sander,

On Thursday i've got an attended album mastering, then at around 17:30 Richard from Hexateq is bringing my new amps: Hexateq Studio 700's, which are based around Hypex 700 watt amps (monoblocks). If you want you can borrow them for a few days for your test, after which you can also borrow my Vincent 600 watt amps which are also very good.
That would be great! I can pick them up any time and also would like to hear them at your place. Let me know what you think of them. Richard also asked me if I wanted to give them a go.

Did you already try Classé on the B&W's?
Old 12th March 2009
Engagement Manager

hi Darius
i have that copy of T-racks you asked for
do you want me to drop it off and show you how to get it set up?
hehhehheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search