The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread Channel Strip Plugins
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Which brand HVAC unit did you use? I currently have some that are kind of generic; I ordered two different brands, and both units were identical with different markings. I love them as far as function, but I do wish they were a little quieter.
Old 12th March 2009
Gear Maniac

It's a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, dual-zone split ductless HVAC/Heat-Pump. We got the 12,000 BTU unit for the Control Room and the 9,000 BTU unit for the iso-booth.

Mitsubishi Electric - Product Information for MXZ-2A20NA (09 + 12)

I saw that there are of bunch of companies that make these (LG, Sanyo, etc) and I asked WSDG why the Mitsubishi and they said because the Mr. Slim is the quietest they've found and they hold up well.

--> freddie
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Maniac

John Storyk was in town this weekend and he came by the studio to see how things are going. He seemed very happy with how it came out. I gave him a quick tutorial in how I record & mix a cappella music and I think he was really amazed at how it all comes together. It was really neat to meet him in person and hang out for a little while.

I got all the gear racked up this weekend too (see pics below) and we even got our new Bricasti M7 Reverb unit!! I'm crazy excited to try it out today!

There is a small issue with the custom fabric-wrapped absorber panels we had made for the front of the Control Room. It appears that some of them are a bit too tall (but like 1/4"). HUFF is supposed to come back today to cut those down a bit so they will fit. Then we can get them in place and put up the cove lights behind them tomorrow.

The Modex Plates arrived on Friday! A 325lb crate arrived (the crate itself was pretty serious) and a buddy of mine was able to help me get the plates out of there. They're sitting in the hallway right now until I can figure out how to mount them on the ceiling. Should be up this week though.
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0387.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0388.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0389.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0390.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0392.jpg  

VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0394.jpg  
Old 20th March 2009
Gear Maniac

So I finally got the big 52″ LCD working properly. I had some problems related to the 70ft HDMI cable that is necessary to get the video from the computer in the Machine-Closet up to the front of the Control Room. Apparently, it was a bad extension cable that was causing sync problems. I got a new, shorter extension today and it did the charm! The picture looks excellent on the LCD now!

I already had to tracking sessions with Brown Sugar this week and will be spending the entire weekend tracking then gentlemen of Fundamentally Sound again (2nd out of 3 weekends). This is now MUCH more comfortable than the temporary studio space I’ve been using for the past six months.

Everything is definitely setup enough to record parts, but we’re still not finished with the construction! I still have to get the big Modex Plates mounted to the ceiling, mount the ceiling clouds below the Modex Plates, secure the fabric-wrapped panels to the front-wall, hang the clouds in the Iso-Booth, hang all the track lights from the clouds, and put in the floor molding/trim. It will be another couple weeks until all of that is really finished. Then we’ll have the real professional photos taken, do the press release, and have the Grand Opening Party!!!

--> freddie
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0397.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0398.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0399.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0400.jpg  
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

What's goin on with vocomotion?
Old 6th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Things are still moving along. It's that last 10% that will always get ya. I've been tracking so much in the new studio that I haven't been able to get the last stuff done. Next week, though, I'll get the Modex Plates put up on the ceiling, clouds/lights in the booth installed, and the floor trim put in.

We've had a bunch of problems with the NoiseBarriers door. Mostly small things (primer smudges, then they fixed the primer and made it look worse, lots of metal "burrs" around the screwholes, etc). They're coming by tomorrow to take the door out and paint it back at the factory (nice black) and then reinstall it next Monday.

--> freddie
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

Hi,

Congrats on your beautiful place and original ideas, and thank you for sharing.

if I may ask... what's the experience of working with such a big LCD? I know a studio who's hesitating to go this way, and I figured it could be a bit awkward to use a large screen quite far form your sitting position. Mostly, I imagined that focusing on a plane at a considerable distance from your eyes, with no "depth of field" beneath it, could be a little tiresome after a long day of tedious editing. I gather you gotta be quite busy heh, but I'd appreciate if you could share a little feedback on that (rare) kind of setup. Thanx!
Old 6th April 2009
Gear Maniac

So far, I really love the 52" LCD. It's not very far from me, like 3ft and at eye-level. I don't have it high up. That drives me nuts when people do that. I did have to adjust the backlight brightness, from the default setting, to be dimmer so I don't burn out my retinas!!

I've got another display on its way (32" LCD) and it will mount on the same LCD below the 52". That'll be used to display a video-feed from the ISO Booth (during tracking) and for plug-in windows during mixing.

I did 20hours of tracking this weekend and the same two weekends ago. No problems really. I just need to look away periodically to let my eyes rest a little.

--> freddie
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Freddie, in the high-end home theatre world, they have a unit they refer to as a "bias light", which is a somewhat dim lamp with a flood type pattern that is designed to slightly illuminate the wall behind your LCD screens.
It's nothing fancy, and can be anything that will uplight your wall when placed on the floor. I used a $10.00 fixture

Having tried this out on my 50" at home, I can tell you that it works amazingly well for relieving strain on the eyes in a somewhat dim viewing room!

(the premise around this is that if you're turning down the brightness on your screen due to eye strain, you actually need to have your eyes iris close down more than it is......the light on the wall fools your iris into thinking things are much brighter than they are, closing it down, reducing eye strain, and making the actual screen much easier and more comfortable to view at its normal brightness level).
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Interesting! I'll check into that!

I found this:
CinemaQuestv2.0

I wonder if that would help...

Thanks so much for the tip!!! My eyes will thank you...

--> freddie
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Good find!
Joe Kane was the grandaddy of this "bias light" idea.

6500K is an awfully white light though......almost blue. The comfort of such a white/blue light would probably depend on the color of your walls.
The blue blood home theatre types paint their walls (or at least the wall behind the screen) a neutral grey, so 6500K color temperature might not be too harsh...........with white walls though, I could see it being a bit uncomfortable.
I suspect the extremely high color temperature on this custom fixture is more an effort to give deep blacks and saturated colors when viewing movies......probably not a concern for looking at waveforms and plug-ins

I might try the bias light concept with something a little cheaper (like a desk lamp with a normal bulb in it) first, and see it if works for you.

(I've got a normal incandescent lamp in mine, around 3500K.....and I find it most comfortable).
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Maniac

We finally got the Modex Plates installed on the ceiling this past weekend. Modex Plates are made by RPG and are designed to do a very large amount of bass trapping (absorption) in a relatively small amount of space. They're made of steel and contain an absorbing material inside as well.

We have three plates in the Control Room, two Type 2 and one Type 1. The Type 2 plates absorb 35hz-100hz (weighs 85lbs) and the Type 1 absorbs 50hz-500hz (weighs 70lbs). Since they're mounted on the ceiling, they're a bit difficult to get up there (being so heavy). It took three of us to really get them up there, two to climb ladders holding it, and one to screw it into place on the mounting brackets.

I can definitely hear the difference in the room, and it's starting to tighten up the bottom end nicely now. We also finally mounted the front-wall absorber panels and installed the cove lighting behind the front panels. It's a bit hard to see in the pics below, but the corners of the room are now lit up.

Next up: The ceiling clouds get mounted just below the Modex Plates and then the track lights mount in between the clouds. Hopefully, we'll be able to get those up this week.

--> freddie
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0471.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0473.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0474.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0475.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0476.jpg  

VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0478.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0480.jpg  
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Maniac

We had the first session in the studio last night using my new Arrangement Display idea. Pretty much, since I started recording a cappella, eleven years ago, I’ve had issues with singers using music in the booth. A cappella arrangements can be fairly complex and the singers often need to follow along with their part as they record. Music stands are a pain in the butt, plus the sound of page turns drives me nuts!

In the new studio, I’ve setup an Arrangement Display LCD that is positioned right near the mic. The group provides me with PDF files of the arrangements (they all have them made already anyways) and we pull up the PDF of the song they’re singing. The singer holds a tiny remote control that allows them to silently click forward/back through the pages of the arrrangement. Beautiful!

The session last night went flawlessly with the new Arrangement Display. The singers liked that the music is now larger than a regular sheet of paper too!

--> freddie
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0502.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0503.jpg  
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

Great thread!!

Question in regards to the AC... With "MrSlim" in the control room, what's in the iso booth for AC? Maybe I overlooked that somewhere on this thread but I can 't find it....
Old 24th May 2009
Gear Maniac

The Mr Slim is a dual-zone system, so we have one 12,000 BTU unit in the Control Room and a 9,000 BTU unit in the Iso Booth. They both connect to one outdoor unit right outside the studio, next to the building.

--> freddie
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocomotion View Post
The Mr Slim is a dual-zone system, so we have one 12,000 BTU unit in the Control Room and a 9,000 BTU unit in the Iso Booth. They both connect to one outdoor unit right outside the studio, next to the building.

--> freddie
Oh, so those two shots of the AC unit were different units! I thought they were shots of the same unit! heh

How are the specs? Can you have them running in the booth while recording or must you turn it off?
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Maniac

The units are REALLY quiet! I have to look at the LED on it sometimes to tell if it's running because I can't hear it. The heat is totally silent...the AC has a tiny bit of fan noise, but it's realllly low (definitely lower than a Mac or PC). I can run the AC in the booth while recording, no problem. If it's a particularly quiet song that we're tracking, I might run the AC for a while before the client gets there and shut it off while they sing, jusssst to be sure.

--> freddie
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocomotion View Post
The units are REALLY quiet! I have to look at the LED on it sometimes to tell if it's running because I can't hear it. The heat is totally silent...the AC has a tiny bit of fan noise, but it's realllly low (definitely lower than a Mac or PC). I can run the AC in the booth while recording, no problem. If it's a particularly quiet song that we're tracking, I might run the AC for a while before the client gets there and shut it off while they sing, jusssst to be sure.

--> freddie
Wow, that's very interesting seeing that your standard for noise level would be higher than most since you're dealing with a capella music....

Thanks for the info on this thread! This studio construction subforum has been the only forum I've been visiting daily... heh
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

What up wid it?
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Maniac

We had our final inspection with the Village a couple weeks ago and passed! So that means we get our Certificate of Occupancy (blah blah) and can do business in the space.

We also got the ceiling treatment install in the front of the CR (see pic) and had a photographer buddy come by last Friday to take some nice shots. I'll post them here as soon as I get them!

The other pic attached is of Squatsie, our studio mascot.

--> freddie
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-dsc_0288.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-cr.jpg  
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Did you have to use any equalizer in the monitoring chain?

I have a few friends with John Storyk designed rooms that look very similar to yours and theirs had some sort of equalizer to 'tune' the room.

Just wondering what this since this seems to be a very interesting subject these days (with KRK's offering, and other brands offering tweakability in their monitors)....
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Maniac

No EQ on my monitors...

Just out from Aurora16 -> Avocet -> Focal Twins

--> freddie
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Photographer just sent me one photo to see (attached). He said there are things he wants to do differently, so we're going to re-shoot this weekend.

But it does look pretty cool, heh.

--> freddie
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-studio1.jpg  
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Maniac

We just installed a nice little alarm system (from Home Security for Safe City Living | SimpliSafe Home Security) and learned an interesting thing...the room is so soundproof, that you can't really hear the alarm going off inside!!! UH OH! Good thing it's a centrally monitored alarm system!

--> freddie
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
He said there are things he wants to do differently, so we're going to re-shoot this weekend.
You can maybee hide the monitor powercables for the foto shooting!?

I like pics without cables, a little more

I love the style your studio looks know.
Very simple and minmal

Have fun in the room

cheers
Mika
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Yeah, we're going to take those cables out for the real shoot this weekend. A couple of those cables are actually supposed to run in the front platform conduit, but I never ran them. I should do that, eh?

--> freddie
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Latest pics...

--> freddie
Attached Thumbnails
VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-_dsc6828.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-_dsc6859.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-rack2009-09.jpg   VOCOMOTION - A Cappella Studio - Construction Thread-_dsc6821-version-2.jpg  
Old 1st October 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

the plexi desk is a trip.
the fingerprints bothering you on it?
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks! Yeah, the clear desk is awesome. It is a pain to keep compleeetely clean though. You can even see in that one pic, shot from low angle, the sides of the desk aren't completely clean. Happens...still awesome!

--> freddie
Old 2nd October 2009
jdg
Lives for gear

love it!
i think a "textured" sand blasted plexi desk would work great too!

looks like the avocet is just floating there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search