The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty? Studio Monitors
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

Man.
I was going to post some pictures of the halfassed studio that I built but I`m too embarassed now.
I got some work to do.
That`s really nice stuff Cajonezzz.

Kevin
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

We're in the process of finally treating the rooms. 703, Bass trapping.....etc.

We got the lounge done. We got the "B" control/iso/writing room operational , but it's been pretty much the junk room.

we've been lucky to be slammed since we opened the doors 5 months after starting to build(60% finished) and started taking work on to the stem the $$$$ hemmorage.

We'll be putting together a website by March and will have some nice photo's taken.
I'll try and snap a few pics with my dig camera and update this thread soon (I'm on the road now)

Viva Las Vegas!
Old 8th January 2004
Gear Addict

Criag good to hear your place is boomin' I'll have to visit sometime.

Tonio
Old 9th January 2004
Here for the gear

Cajonezzz,
Good to see your progress. I saw when you originaly posted the pictures, when you got the place. Things are looking great. I must say I am a bit envious. Good Luck in the New Year,
Luke
Old 9th January 2004
Gear Head

Very cool man - thanks for taking us along for the journey thus far! Turned out GREAT. Congrats!
Old 9th January 2004
Gear Nut

Probably one of the best and most entertaining threads I have read on this forum since I have been lurking around.

Well done and keep up the good work !
Old 9th January 2004
Gear Maniac

next thing you know, dude is in LV living it up.
Old 10th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe
next thing you know, dude is in LV living it up.
HAHA.

Now that you mention it here's a link to my three days in my most hated destination on earth.....

I now love Vegas because of......a kick ass place to mtn bike
Old 10th January 2004
Lives for gear

And, if anyone's interested, here's a few updated shots (very blurry 'cause the flash died on the camera) of the studio.

It's a pig sty, as we're in the middle the sh*t.
We're gonna get to the acoustic stuff this month. Removeable 703 panels, a drop ceiling in the corner of the live room (moveable) Tuning and Bass traping in the CR
A bunch of work to be done in the b room (midi and writing) got some new stff to get acclimated to....Motif, Gigasampler, Logic, and general busy work.

We need an intern.
Bad.

Anyhow thanks for the interest. We're blessed that we've been too busy to finish the place.

My big goal is to figure out how to get some natural light into the CR.....I'm looking into those Hi Zoot mirror skylights.....we're just blocks from the beach but rarely get out to see the light of day..
some really blurry shots.....tonite.
Old 10th January 2004
Lives for gear

very cool, man! It looks like a great place to go. Good luck with it :-D
Old 10th January 2004
Gear Maniac

Looks really nice!Is there acoustic treatment in the control room?Couldn't tell from the pics.
Chris
Old 10th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisaiken
Looks really nice!Is there acoustic treatment in the control room?Couldn't tell from the pics.
Chris
Not really, I mean besides some Persian carpets on the walls.

The wall treatment goes up this month.

3 and 4 inch 703 (with fabric) and bass traps ala Ethan Weiner. We may invest in some MINI traps as well just to be done with it.

there are floating 703 "clouds in the CR....amazing what just putting those up did.
It's been slow going to gt it to this point but the acouatic treatment/tweaks are numbr 1 on the list.
Old 12th January 2004
Gear Nut

Bump....

What's new man, any more pics...
Old 12th January 2004
Hey Craig, what exactly are the "clouds" you talked about?
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Hey Craig, what exactly are the "clouds" you talked about?
2 inch panels of ridgid 703 (about 3 ft by 6 ft I think) with material wrapped around (glued on)
they are suspended about a foot off the ceiling by chain and eye bolts. I'll try and snap a photo.

The clouds are meant to be a temp fix untill we can get panels ala Ethan Weiner's design up on the ceiling. But having had them up or a few months now, we're pretty happy with em. the first nite they went up in the CR (a dry wall nightmare) the difference was SO huge, it was a major ear adjustment. that kinda sold me on the idea of not rushing to treat the whole room. We've instead dicided to put a few things up.....give a listen, run some tones through and then just work for a bit to get used to the changes.

next week the majority of the CR will be done. I'm debating weather or not to purchase MINI Traps, or build bass traps for the CR. I'm not really feeling up to going into construction mode again.
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nelsons
Bump....

What's new man, any more pics...
I put up a link instead of clogging up Jules server....it's at:

Where are you in London? I'll be staying there for a month or so in August...]some newer blurry shots
Old 7th February 2004
Lives for gear

I got 9 out of 12 Minitraps up in the CR tonite.

Amazing difference. Lot's of clarity that wasn't there before, most noticeable when listening in the middle/back of the room.

This isn't surprising considering the drywall nitemare we started with.
I'll be DIY'ng a couple of 6ft x 4 ft 703 panels for the walls as well for early reflections.
Also going to be installing curtains that can be pulled over the CR window/Iso/ and gear closet doors to cut reflections when "going in deep" for a mix.

pics here. sorry so blurry, flash is dead.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288055363&idx=12
Old 7th February 2004
I'm in N4 area of London, we can hook up!

What are you coming over for?

Holliday?

Go ahead and post the pix up here!

We are getting a bigger server soon, dont sweat it!

This is one of the best threads on Gearslutz!

Old 7th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I'm in N4 area of London, we can hook up!

What are you coming over for?

Holliday?

Holiday and some on the job training. My friend has a smallish post facility and I hope to spend some time with him learning a few of the ropes.

My wife Annie has always wanted to spend more than a week in London and try to do some playing (she's a violinist) and studying with the folks there.
If she has her way we'll be living there. She loves it. ( I'm having a hard time selling her on the idea of rural Mtn. living ala Colorado/Montana )
As of now the plan is late august. Probably stay for a month in London, doing a few smallish trips to do the tourist thing (Paris for her, mtn biking in Wales for me)
and then a week in Portugal and back to London for a week.

Love to hook up with any Gslutz while there!

Btw Jules, are players making a living in the same way there as they do here in so. cal? By that I mean gigs....casuals, clubs, sessions? What's the scene for live music? Healthy?

Here's a couple pics of the room with Ethans traps put up.
Oh, and I got a call from the engineer this morning just raving about how "clear" the room sounded, and how ambient noise was much less...
A great investment I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-trapsgeardoor-s.jpg  
Old 7th February 2004
Lives for gear

traps by the main window.There will be another Minitrap put up above the console on the wall, probably at the corner, we've got to rent a scaffolding to do that though. I'll put a thick velvet theatre curtain that can be pulled on the window and the glass doors to the small ISO and the gear closet:
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-traps-window.jpg  
Old 7th February 2004
Lives for gear

and by the iso, you can see the traps in the corner. One is straddling the corner horizontally and one vertically. It's amazing at even moderate volumes, when you put your hands on the corner traps how much energy they are absorbing. You can feel them vibrating . The room now has 9 traps installed. I think that 3 more (up in high corners) will be where we stop.
What a pleasure to be able to walk ten feet back in the room and still be able to hear details and a relatively balanced mix....it was pure mush before.
I'm stoked that I'll be able to leave the beautiful wood floor exposed with no throw rugs. I like the bit of "liveness" that's left. Never really liked the super dead CR that you could hear your blood circulating in.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-trapsiso-s.jpg  
Old 7th February 2004
TML
Lives for gear

cajonezzz-
Sweet setup. Are you using that crest xr-20 (if it is one) for phones or summing or both? Thanks
Tim
Old 8th February 2004
Here for the gear

looks good man. appears you got a cool vibe going on there. i think lighting and feel is almost as important to creativity as the gear you equip the studio with.
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by TML
cajonezzz-
Sweet setup. Are you using that crest xr-20 (if it is one) for phones or summing or both? Thanks
Tim
It's a Midas Venice 160. We use it for summing multi mics to PT, tracking (cool on drums!) xtra eq after other mic pre's, and as a rehearsal board feeding wedges in the live room.
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mordecai
looks good man. appears you got a cool vibe going on there. i think lighting and feel is almost as important to creativity as the gear you equip the studio with.
Thanks. I agree. I just wish it could all come together with a snap of the fingers. There is so much yet to be done to dial things in throughout the studio. Vibe things, trim painting, details. It's just one of those ongoing things like a home I suppose. I'm trying not to stress about that kinka stuff anymore. I try to remember to just sit sometimes an appreciate that we've gotten this far and have a nice space to work in. And enough work comming in to keep the doors open.
Old 8th February 2004
Jax
Lives for gear

cajo -

Damn! Wish I'd gone with the black minitraps! They look KILLER. Plus you don't have to think about clean hands when installing them...

O well. I might eventually replace the white ones with black and put the white in the live room.

Hey, and the sound...

What did I tell you?
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

very nice ! good job ...

& tons of jobs , good luck ! heh
Old 9th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
I'm stoked that I'll be able to leave the beautiful wood floor exposed with no throw rugs. I like the bit of "liveness" that's left. Never really liked the super dead CR that you could hear your blood circulating in. [/B]

From what I`ve read and experianced rugs really don`t have a function in recording other than keeping a kick drum from sliding all over the floor.
They only absorb high frequencies and that tends to offset the room in some bad ways.
If you put rugs down you have to compensate for it by adding a lot of low freq absorption and when your done with that you`ve got a very dead bad sounding room usually.

By leaving the hardwood and adding some traps and some of the 703 stuff you were talking about I bet your room is going to sound sweet.

The funny thing is everybodies first sound absorber is either rug or egg crate stuff or something to that effect.
Kind of like everybodies first Mackie.
It does in a pinch but there is much better ways of doing things.

Your studio looks awesome man!

Kevin
Old 1st May 2004
Lives for gear

new build out of b room voc booth

We need to be able to have a functional Vocal booth while another tracking session is happening in the A room....so we decided to build it into the b room..so far it looks to be pretty bomb proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-v-booth.jpg  
Old 1st May 2004
Lives for gear

and another
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-vbooth-2.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search