The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty? Studio Monitors
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
dual 18 inch lcd's, (and articulated arms)
I've been trying to figure out what to use for articulated lcd arms. What do you have? Where'd ya get 'em? gotta picture of the computer rig setup yet?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Sweet! Very inspiring thread!!! You'll love the Crane Song, btw! Nice choice with the 122 and e47 also.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
I've been trying to figure out what to use for articulated lcd arms. What do you have? Where'd ya get 'em? gotta picture of the computer rig setup yet?
Paul, I don't have the arms yet but in doing a Google search for "monitor arms" I hit the motherload....I'm looking at, and have talked to the very professional folks at http://www.lcdmonitorarm.com
these arms are a little spendy compared to the consumer stuff (fellowes ,Kensington) but if you poke around you'll see theres tons of stuff available.

Make sure you know what kind of bracket is on your brand of monitor (VESA?) and check the compatability charts for it.
I'll Post a pic as we get things up and running.
craig
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

excelent thread ... keep it coming.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Paul, the link I gave you to the monitor arms was incorrect.....I've got to get to the studio computer to dig up the link tho the correct company.The place I spoke of makes really industrial quality stuff with far more variety. I'll try and dig it up and post. They looked to be the best build by far.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Paul, here's the correct link for the monitor arms
http://www.custom-products.com/arms2.shtml

there looked to be some cool stuff at the original link as well.....good hunting, let me know what you find.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Lookin GREAT....wish i coulda wired it fer ya......sometimes i 'miss' my ugly old urei 813's.....sigh...........
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

so close.....

We're knee deep in wiring. the 35o feet of 12 pair we ordered came up only 10 feet short!! Gear is ordered, and the really gnarly stuff ( wall treatment,bass traps, painting) begins this week. All the rooms are wired for headphones,guitar and speaker cable sends, and mic lines. A new double wide outboard gear rack has been negotiated for and is being built.

Hopefully we've built a CR with geometry that is workable through some creative application of treatments (or get the sawsaw out and start again)

thankfully we've got 3 different album projects in line to start when we get the place running.
oh, and the desk is an omniraxx ( unusable rack spaces up top and overpriced, I'll definately build something custom down the line) the top shelf was broken in the heat of construction passion so the top piece is now 10 feet of oak1 inch that was left over from a friends staircase job. I've also traded some playing/time for the live room floor which will be a 12x14 rectngle of Ash. We've decided to leave the rest concrete (painted) and throw rugs till we sus out the room treatment needed.
the "b" room or edit room will wait for another month or som till we get rolling.
more pics to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-cr2.jpg  
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

and
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-crone.jpg  
Old 19th March 2003
Man, your studio is looking good!!!!! Congrats!!!
Who designed your room?
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

really basic floor plan for the Recording org guys that may drop by..... New Pics to follow
Sorry not more pro looking CAD type stuff......
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-floorplan-clean.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

ok....here's an update.....if yer interested
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-console-closetdoor.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

and....
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-cr-ceiling.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

........ this is the tough part .....wall treatment and wheather or not to drop in some ceiling .....It'll probably be some "clouds" with diffusion and lights punched in. We'll probably hang something from the beam in roughly the same shape as the console. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-ceiling-.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

and the view 3 blocks away yesterday ( and about 80 degrees)
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-view.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2003
Are you located in a Bagdad suburb?

Old 3rd April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
really basic floor plan for the Recording org guys that may drop by..... New Pics to follow
Sorry not more pro looking CAD type stuff......
Your floor plan reminds me - I'd like to have a floor plan of my studio - who should I call to get one drawn, and how much should I expect to pay?
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Dave, if you can find one, there are often college ( and sometimes even high school) drafting students who do this sort of thing on the cheap.. I had some as buits made for about 100 bucks for a facility here in town..

As allways just be sure abotu who is in the room!
Old 3rd April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Dave, if you can find one, there are often college ( and sometimes even high school) drafting students who do this sort of thing on the cheap.. I had some as buits made for about 100 bucks for a facility here in town..
Excellent plan! I'll try to remember if I know any college kids...
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

LOL that is the tough bit!
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Are you located in a Bagdad suburb?

Just about.....I'm .located in the town where a large number of Marines are stationed.....down town is very quiet these days. This was one of 3 days of beatutiful sunsets that accompanied the Santa Ana winds (dry hot weather)
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

count down ....

Hello to those that are interested....tonite we had the pleasure of buttoning up the patch bay after a month of laying cable and soldering. a couple of quik fixes to the bay, an addition of a Midas Venice,Mytek,Dac-1, lucid distro, new computer,drives ,Mix++ (that had a bad core card....dammit) and new lcd screens ( with really freakin cool arms for the monitors that will help my aged eyes..)
We actually take a session tommorow morning, just pre production and a scratch vocal, so no sweat.
We'll start building bass traps ala Ethan Winer's plans next week(as well as the mid and high traps....
the live room will be a work in progress.....717 sq. feet with concrete floors that we're gonna strip and probably paint black. we'll do a fair amount of convertable treatment to three of the walls....It'll be pretty unique (thanks M wagener)
we tracked some stuff the other nite as soon as all the lines we're checked. Drums, Piano, and solo Violin.
the room sounds killer....live as hell but really nice tones for a big drywall and concrete space....we feel really encouraged about the whole thing as a start point.
4 months in today....that's one month later than predicted....coulda been worse huh? there's still a ****load of finish work...not to mention a whole other room (the b room/edit/iso room) and it's respective gear(2nd PT rig,midi junk, 5.1 mini setup, shelves,storage etc.), the lounge (which is the temp area for tools and crap) and the bathroom......Of course the first order of biz is to get some positive cash flow(and learn how to use the new gear)

Here's a pic of me getting some nose time with the new monitor, trying to remember how to use PT after 4 months of being a construction worker.....
The monitor arm in the pic comes from a company that I can't say enough about. SERIOUS build quality, and really wonderful folks....:
http://www.custom-products.com/arms2.shtml
Thanks for looking in, I'll post a couple pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-craigcantsee.jpg  
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

the big iso with new Ash floor.....it'll be a great drum room as well12x 13 with 14 ft ceiling at tallest (slopeing) will put the base board in tommorow. I think this (and the machine closet are my favorite rooms. Im pushing for a leather chair and reading lamp for this room.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-piano.jpg  
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

view from center of live room looking at the big Iso (piano room) then the vocal booth (big enough for a be-bop kit)
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-iso-s.jpg  
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

and a view from the middle of the room at the CR window, then right to the hallway (sound lock and machine closet protrudes into this hall) then the "edit room" window. The edit room is 12x14, floated floor with tie lines to the CR patch bay, e net, digital this that and the other...It can also be used as a third Iso.....oh and thats "interns" (actually just paid ****ty, really fired up young engineer/producers to be ) Chris and Jared. these guys have done the lions share of the soldering. They became pals at Berklee's MPE program and contrary to the stories I've heard about guys that come out of "recording school" these guys are f$%# amazing. I've been impressed with their "studio legs" thus far, we're lucky to have 'em.

Tonite was the first time we've actually all stepped back and taken in the whole thing, and it really feels cool. Really weird to walk into a room and look around but actually be seeing every nail, every phase of the construction in your minds eye. I'm starting to get ramped up about making music again.
thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-crandedit.jpg  
Old 15th April 2003
Rock on man keep the reports coming, we all feel like your studio Uncles (& Aunties) as we have watched it grow up!

Baby steps this wek eh?

Old 17th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Dude I (as always) have tons of questions for you, i'll PM you later. Gotta dig the machine closet!
It looks great, really great, motivates me even more to start my own once i find a house (which should be a few weeks from now).
Keep us posted.

RaGe
Old 8th January 2004
Gear Maniac

Just wondering how this all turned out....
Chris
Old 8th January 2004
...from the ashes!
Old 8th January 2004
Yeah! Waz new man!?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search