The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty? Studio Monitors
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

looking sown the CR wall at the computer closet. Door out of the CR and down to the lounge (actually through the door and across will put you in "b" CR , our editing and pre production space)
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-cr.jpg  
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

It's looking really good!

If you can afford two layers of sheet rock . . . it's a big sound stopper! Density and mass are the important things for stopping sound. Make sure you put the seams in different places . . . IF you can afford the second layer. We did tongue and groove ply with silicone in all seams, roofing tar paper to reflect sound, sound stop w/ silicone, 2 layers of thick ass rock. Actually there may have been another layer of ply before any rock. And silicone'd the **** out of ANY and all cracks.

I'm sure you know all this . . . Anyway . . . it looks real good! I'm sure you are going to enjoy it!

Good Luck . . if I can help in any way at all . . . just drop a line.
Old 24th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Very cool to see a studio being born!
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Man oh man ... the task seems humongous but it must be so gratifying to see the studio take form slowly but surely.

Please keep up posted
Old 27th January 2003
Here for the gear

Craig, if you need any computer help, please let me know. I do unix sysadmin for both small and large companies(my day job is sr sysadmin for qualcomm)

either way, i'd love to swing by and take a look at how things
are going. Oh, if you need signage for cheap(design at least, can't
speak to printing costs, except I know a very good dye sub place
that will cut me good deals)(my wife is a graphic designer in training, so we don't really charge much. same goes for web development, i've been doing web work for almost(shudder) 10 years.)

[email protected] || [email protected]

thanks!
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

5 1/2 weeks in....here's the CR floor

The finished floor started going down yesterday, I spent the weekend doing the trough/conduit runs in the subfloor.
Really lucking out on this as the hardwood floors are being done for trade of studio time.(the floor guy has a band that i sub for and needs a new demo)\

same will go or the producers desk/outboard racks. trading time for his wifes demo.

Now if we could find someone with a B3.....wanna make a record?
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-floor-sm.jpg  
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

and the vocal booth floor......this will probably have bamboo as the finish flloor. The joists in the CR and Iso rooms are 2x7 on auralex rubber feet. Heavy inslulation between the joists.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-iso-sm.jpg  
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

You ready to kill people yet?

I remember being at the stage you are and thinking . . . . . .

"I don't want to hear one more frikkin' nail gun or look at one more construction guy. If I ever see another hardware store, I will puke on the floor by the cash register. I don't give a **** about any trendy frikkin' trim or trendy sponge painting schemes that are being pitched at me. I want to get my gear in here and start recording and you ****ers are holding me up!"

If you haven't got there yet . . . you will. I think at some point, it may be legal to hold a nail gun to a construction guy's head and pull the trigger. TRY not to do it . . . . it WILL be over soon. HOPEFULLY!

btw . .it's looking good.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
You ready to kill people yet?

If you haven't got there yet . . . you will. I think at some point, it may be legal to hold a nail gun to a construction guy's head and pull the trigger. TRY not to do it . . . . it WILL be over soon. HOPEFULLY!

I don't think that'll happen.....well maybe with the ELECTRICIAN
grudge

I'd be super happy if we could make noise by march.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Bamboo floors are such a cool idea for a vocal booth. Good call!
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Knox, I just looked at your studio.....you definately qualify as Gearslut.
is that a Cranesong Trakker in the one rack? How do you like it?
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

I hate to admit . . . those are old pictures. The racks are filled with bigger and better now! So I'm not even sure what you are talking about as far as the pictures. I need to take some new shots and post them on my web page.

I have a Hedd unit but not a Trakker . . . as you know though . . . you always hear good things about them, but no . . I don't own one.

BTW . . . I think we were building for 5 months. We had to tear down what was here for the first week, maybe two.

In the end . . . . I was WAY over budget and I needed to get to work before I went out of business before I even opened. Past clients were no longer waiting for me and were booking time elsewhere and I was losing new work from possible new clients. So I was pissed.

Toward the end, I didn't want to hear anyone's **** (construction workers and their excuses) . . . . I just wanted them finished and out.

I will say this though . . . I love this place. In the end, I got just what I was looking for. It's great! Funky, has a great vibe . . . sounds incredible. You want to make music here . . not a Coke commercial. I have never liked those places. This is by far not my first studio, but I dig it the most of the ones I have had.

Plus, the designer did a great job with the math. It seems you will be happy with yours too in the end. Something about working with the construction guys like you are doing and I did that makes you proud as **** of it.

I wish you the best with it. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

easy on dem 'lectrishuns now....hopefully ya got one that knows something about studios ....so have we heard what you're going to stock this store with? recording format...console....outboard...etc etc?......
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

We're basically moving our old studio to a bigger spot.

It's Pro Tools Mix3 and a Mix + for the edit / overdub / programming room
control 24

monitors (for now ) Ns 10's, mackies, and some ugly ass UREI bigs (for the live room)

outboard is very lean....but we hope to add: 1 distressor,1 purple mc77, a couple of line six pieces, \

we have: Massive Passive, Avalon 737, Isa 110, TC M5000 (two engines) various little Lexicon boxes, MOFX, Dbx 166's,
and the mobile rack of pre's includes Vintec 1272, UA 2610, Millenia 8 ch, Langevine two channel vocal, Aphex 207, Presonus dynamics

My main concern is being able to budget 8 channels of good conversion (we have 888's) and it's looking like the Myteks and or HEDD (ass two channels of overdub/sweetheart conversion)
I'm smiten by the ADAM s3a's but the budget is lookin lean so they may have to wait.
Also like to pick up a couple more mics...oh and a Lucid gen96 to clock the main rig.
Also on the list is an upgrade to 16 ch headphone system (we've got the Furman 6 ) but that will have to wait as well.....I'll cable in anticipation of it.
I've been reading so much about the PT mix buss and following tales of the Dangerous 2 buss....love to be able to try it. I heard the Demo at AES, but just can't quite justify the purchase before say ...convertors. I dunno.
All the cabeling is new, Canare or Mogami....haven't decided
Equitech Balanced power will feed the CR. ($$ for something you can't twist knobs on)
I just wanna make some music for god's sake. I fell into engineering by default....the gear aquisition thing is fun....but could be better if we had some $$$$$......but as my friend says "ya gotta pimp what cha got".....my mantra.
(end of whining)

All gear suggestions appreciated.
Old 1st February 2003
Here for the gear

Thumbs up Wookie

Hey there. Love your studio story. Congratulations. I'm about to do it myself.

Is that wookie a bouvier? I had one for 12 years and he was the best guy ever, named Ornette. We're about to get a 7 week old bouv pup.

Did you know that George Lucas has or had a bouvier and that wookies were actually based on his bouv- but he didn't publicize it because he didn't want them to become insanely popular- like dalmatians.

Anyway, I wish you success. Looks awesome.
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Also on the list is an upgrade to 16 ch headphone system (we've got the Furman 6 ) but that will have to wait as well.....I'll cable in anticipation of it.

All gear suggestions appreciated.
hey, you may want to check out this...

http://aviominc.com/Products/products1.html

I have the 16 chanel furman system, and it works really well, and is built very solid, but these guys are set to give them a run it seems, and it is cheaper even.. ( yay smething is not more expensive for a change..)

check it out!
Old 1st February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
hey, you may want to check out this...

http://aviominc.com/Products/products1.html

I have the 16 chanel furman system, and it works really well, and is built very solid, but these guys are set to give them a run it seems, and it is cheaper even.. ( yay smething is not more expensive for a change..)

check it out!
Looks like a very useful couple of boxes, but is it really cheaper than the Furman?? That thing would run me @ $1100!! I remember atticus bringing this up when I was thinking of selling my Ghost, and I already had the Oz HM6 which is $300 a pop per 6 channels w/effects submixes and direct inputs in addition to the headphone input. Works really well even though it's analog...
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Wookie

Quote:
Originally posted by reno x
Is that wookie a bouvier? I had one for 12 years and he was the best guy ever, named Ornette. We're about to get a 7 week old bouv pup.
I guess you are talking to me . . . actually he is a Giant Schnauzer that had stepped in nuclear waste, so his hair had imploded in the picture you saw. (of course . . I'm joking)

Here he is with his coat stripped down. He is a great guy with a great personality . . . but don't screw around with me or the studio. Especially me. Very protective, but also a lot of fun. I trained him to bite anyone in the crotch that requests Auto Tune.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-lukasonguard2.jpg  
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Looks like a very useful couple of boxes, but is it really cheaper than the Furman?? That thing would run me @ $1100!! I remember atticus bringing this up when I was thinking of selling my Ghost, and I already had the Oz HM6 which is $300 a pop per 6 channels w/effects submixes and direct inputs in addition to the headphone input. Works really well even though it's analog...
IIRC, it is about 100 more for the head unit, and about 100 less per remote than the furman.. plus you get recallable settings ( not sure how useful that would be for ya, but live it would rock...)
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey cajonezzz! What's up? Any new developments? You must be extremely busy so keep groovin man! And pics, we want pics!!! heh
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe
Hey cajonezzz! What's up? Any new developments? You must be extremely busy so keep groovin man! And pics, we want pics!!! heh
It's as if time has slowed....the finish work, coordinating the "crew" and stepping all over each other trying to get **** done. I just wanna record.

CR floor is in but not sanded and finished (that'll be after paint.....) and the electrician has really dropped the ball. Problem with getting guys to do side work is they ALWAYS get way layed by the day job. (too tired to come in etc.)
thankfully, theres plenty to keep us busy in the mean time.

got the patch bay sketched out, cable and pwr ordered (thanks Nathan!) and that's a load off.

I'm pushing to hire a consultant to help with the CR at least, but we'll probably end up setting up and giving a listen and treating accordingly.

Dealing with the ceiling is another tough one, I'll try and snap some pics. Love to get some advice from others.

the good news is there are at least 3 projects lined up to start as soon as we're up and running.
I stand back and look at the room and can't imagine being ready to roll by march. Thinking positive. sleeping little. (pics to follow)
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

commin along...

Got the surface mount electrical in , painting the CR today and tommorow.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-crpainted1.jpg  
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

that's the CR above, here's another view from the engineer position through the two iso's.
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-crpainted-2-.jpg  
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
IIRC, it is about 100 more for the head unit, and about 100 less per remote than the furman.. plus you get recallable settings ( not sure how useful that would be for ya, but live it would rock...)
I met the Aviom rep at a show at Parsons Audio in Boston. Their booth was right next to ours. I have never been more impressed with the functionality of a product in that category. It is kind of pricy but when you factor in the time savings I really think that it's worth it.

BTW, the studio looks great!!!
Old 19th February 2003
Good to get the update!

Looking good!

Old 19th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
got the patch bay sketched out, cable and pwr ordered (thanks Nathan!) and that's a load off.
You're welcome!! The place looks like it's coming along great!

Quote:
I stand back and look at the room and can't imagine being ready to roll by march. Thinking positive. sleeping little. (pics to follow)

Aaaaah Sleeep!?

Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

Come on man, keep it rollin! Looking pretty good so far! heh
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Maniac

On the headphone cue system....

http://www.macmidimusic.com/level.itml/icOid/1267

It's new.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Getting real close...

Been a while since I've updated the pics (if ya care) We've been plugging right along mainly in the "b" control and live rooms. the floor in the CR is pictured here after being sealed and sanded this week. ( the very un California Rain had slowed that portion down.....what nervegrggt)

the views are from the mid back of the CR, with the first being the main door out to the hall and the computer and "noisey ****" closet to the right (theres a glass door that goes on the closet)

Holes in the floor are for double wide outboard gear racks being built now (theres another couple drum traks for trade )

the color is a brick red/ mustard (kinda fast food to look at now but with the furniture and wall treatment it'll be pretty cool we hope) and the ceiling will have dropped in "clouds" ala Ethan Weiner's real traps designs...
The floor is Brazilian cherry and Red Oak....that ought to trade out for another ...6 drum traks???
Gear decided on as upgrade so far: Isa 110, Joe meek sc2, Distressor, Purple audio comp, Cranesong Spider, a few mics (not sure yet but probably another R 122, and an E47) and I'm still trying to make a case for the ADAM s3a's.
On permenant "floating loan" from our truck will be a Ua 2610,Vintech1272, 8ch of Millenia pres.

also a new apple DP867, Granite Digital hotswap bay(for the b room) dual 18 inch lcd's, (and articulated arms) and a big ****ty amp for our big ugly UREI 813's for the live room playback....DI's of a few flavours (suggestions needed!) and a tuner (looking at the Peterson virtual strobe) plus new stands cables.....
and in the next 2 months....hopefully... a two inch machine to occupy the wall next to the "Pro Tools" closet.

heh
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-cr-window.jpg  
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

the "noisey closet"
Attached Thumbnails
Here she is in all her glory....new studio, ain't she purty?-cr-closet.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search