The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what are these wires in my studio????
Old 11th February 2008

what are these wires in my studio????

Maybe a dumb question and an obivious one, but I would like to make sure . I bought this studio. and the previous studio owner took the xlr plate out in the vocal booth and live room. dont know why, anyway im left with some wires, my guess they are line in and headphone but i would like some opinions if anyone cares to add to it, thanks
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Nut

Well, the multi lead and the brown/greyis to the left are all balanced audio cables, the light grey one with blue lettering looks like it could be an CAT-5 network cable, but it could also be another multi-lead audio cable...
I'd guess that the multi were wired to carry mic signals OUT of the studio, the other pair is either two balanced mono signals feeding a headphone amp in the live room, OR two unbalanced stereo line signals to the headphone amp, OR two ready-amplified headphone feeds from the CR.
OR.. OR..
You'll need to follow the cables to figure out where they lead (hehe), and then determine their use.
The thing is, a cable is like a stretch of road, you can transport anything on it so there's no "right" answer to you question. If the seller removed the equipment at the other end of the cable then it's nothing but a cable, if there's equipment connected - then that equipment tells you what the previous owner used the cable for.
Do you wanna use them the same way ? Only you can tell.

Good luck.
Old 11th February 2008

thanks, anyone else, also, do you know where i can get an xlr panel, is that what you call it
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

You can get a custom made panel from ProCo.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Cableing and XLR panel

Hello Hawg, ,,deda,, here and I agree with K Bartos on the cableing. I think for sure thats cat-5 which is what Furman uses for all of their headphone system remotes, copy and paste this " Furman HDS6/HR6 Headphone Distribution System from zZounds.com! " to see the Furman mid-range system thats damn cool in my book for the money. I have 2 of these systems and every one in the live room has their own mixer to tweak. The cat-5 (ethernet cable) is daisy chained between the remotes so its pretty simple. UNLESS you only have 1 cat-5, the Furman system needs 2 which comes with the remotes 1 grey and 1 blue, color is not a issue, cat-5 is cat-5. The photo appears to have another cat-5 that is near the pvc pipe running behind and hidden by the insulation then about 1" reappering at the lower right hand corner of the cut pine, yes this is a pine board, but you can't see the end of that cable. My question to you is are there 2 cat-5 cables? If so I bet its from a Furman HDS6/HR6 Headphone monitoring system. You can add a breakout box and run numerous remotes each with 2 headphone jacks. You can get these systems on Ebay and I've seen them on Gearslutz as well and very reasonable. If you only have one you can ducktape to your single and pull a pair through the chase, maybe meaning if theres enough room, but my guess is theres 2 already.
As to your second question theres a lot of vendors that will make custom XLR panels for you with a snake of your length and choice of any number of termanations, trs for patchbay, bare wires for soldering or punchblock patchbays, XLR to console or micpreamps, Elco or 25 pin D-sub connecters(8 channel) or even have them install XLR females on the live room side, determine the wall thickness and install XLR males on the control room side. My point being its not just a XLR wall box your needing, you also have a HUGE decision on how many XLR's you want, how long of a snake you need and what types of termination's you'll need in the control room. If you are into soldering you'll save a lot of money by building your own. You can buy blank panels and install your own XLR's and some TRS's and a Furman headphone distribution center. I have somewhere a couple of XLR panels with XLR's installed that came from a Neve setup I'll see if I can find them, harder than it sounds, I've been here 18 years and have stuff I need all the time but can't find it due to my packrat ways and 8 & 1/2 acres of barns and other outbuildings but I will look.
One more question what is the PVC pipe and where does it go? I'm guessing it is a chase for wiring and has nothing to do with the plumbing. I'm sure it's not because sewer gas would already be a problem. Hopes this helps and if want pm me your email and we'll chat off the forum, regards ,,deda,,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search