The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Office Space" - The Project Studio
Old 11th January 2008
"Office Space" - The Project Studio

I am about to get started buidling this project studio for our use at the office. Here is the room as it now exists. It has Industrial carpeted floors, drop-tiled ceiling and gypsum walls painted in a nice, airy cloud motif. W/E

Pics to show building materials. Typical office.
Old 11th January 2008
More to post soon
Old 11th January 2008
Here is my planned design, so far. I have read around including Ethan’s and Glenn’s sites and I don’t think I retained it all but I did learn a bit and appreciate the chance to bounce things off people here.

The Room is:
12x10x8

I will track acoustic and vox in the room.
I will be monitoring at low volumes.

In the diagram:
  • Red – Bass Traps
  • Green – Auralex 2x2’s (Including 2 overhead)
  • Black – Desk
  • White – PC
  • Gray – Monitors on stands
  • Brown – Door
I plan to use my 8 Lenards along the ceiling on the sides.

Bass Trap Notes:
  • All 4” deep
  • Corners – 2’ wide, 8’ high
  • Front and Back – 4’ wide, 4’ high
  • Will construct according to plans using lumber and fiberglass
Trap by door needs to be portable unless I can get help swapping the way the door is hung and put it on the outside of the jam.

Questions:
  • Does the bass trapping look sufficient?
  • I have 24 2x2 Auralex squares. Am I good using them on the reflection points?
  • Can I do more with the remaining Auralex squares?
  • Will it do more good, when Auralex is used, to double them tongue and groove style to make them SOLID 2x2’s with no ribs? I don’t know the benefit of the ribs, if any?

ALL input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11th January 2008
I realize this is low tech but i was just messing around doing a clap test and identified a nasty resonoance in the airduct... and I mean a nasty little buzz.

Can anyone offer an option or two? Is a vent change in order?

Thanks again
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Can anyone offer an option or two?
That all looks fine. You'll do well to have more bass traps in wall-ceiling and optionally wall-floor corners, but mostly it looks like you have the concepts down.

--Ethan
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Guru

I agree with Ethan. Maybe think about going floor to ceiling in each corner with bass traps.

Glenn
Old 11th January 2008
sorry i didn't explain it well but the corner traps are planned @ 2'wide x 4"deep x 8'high. That is the ceiling hieght. I will shave an inch or too for fit.

What about the use of foam on reflection points? doubled up or single pieces?

will lenards help at all or do they make better couch filling?
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
What about the use of foam on reflection points? doubled up or single pieces?
Foam is okay for that if it's at least 2 inches thick.

Quote:
will lenards help at all or do they make better couch filling?
LENRDS are made of decent material, they're just too small to be effective at the lowest frequencies.

--Ethan
Old 12th January 2008
Lives for gear

A buzz in the duct HOPEFULLY is a matter of a loose screw or a loose louver. If it's in the duct itself, then further investigation will be required.

Bryan
Old 13th January 2008
Thanks all for the kind advice!!!

...and especially to you Bryan for speaking with me. Your kindness in giving me some time and advice surely has put me at ease. I have enough info and the confidence to follow through at this point.

I will post with my progress, hopefully before too long.

I did, however, score a bit this weekend. I got a great deal on a pair of HS80M's. I was so relieved. After visiting GC and hearing the budget monitors, I was quite depressed. Now the world is a good place again. heh

Next will be an RME ADI-2. Following that, I will begin building the traps and outfitting the room. Pics to follow.

Rob
Old 27th January 2008
Step one, clean out the offending room and paint it in a blue gray neutral color that will nicely contrast the foam products and bass traps.

whew, thank God the clouds are gone.

Still have to paint around the baseboards. I'm just glad to make a dent, finally.
Old 4th February 2008
Well, slowly but surely...

I haven't built my traps yet but went ahead and hung all my auralex stuff (temporarily) with T-pins. At least I can play and test and work with the new mics and converter.

I also haven't gotten my Monitor stands, a flat screen or my Audiofire.

Being out of the fold for a couple of years, it felt real nice to sit, listen and do a few tests.

By, the way, the guitar is a cheapie but really shocked me. I bought it, planning to give it away but it sounded decently even in tone and I'm working with it on mics and have to admit... not too shabby. (my former was a taylor 710CE)

Also, I'm working with the CAD trion series and for the money, they seem to do real well and have a decent feature set.

Traps are next and then reworking the Auralex.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search