The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio/Room Treatment in a basement, Placement & Fiberglass Questions
Old 9th January 2008
Here for the gear

Post Studio/Room Treatment in a basement, Placement & Fiberglass Questions

Hello !

Actually i try to treat my studioroom because i have lots of standing waves, ringing and the typical reverb for an

untreated room. i rode a lot from ethan winers site and his realtraps.com site. very good informations, i'm even not finished with reading. it's a lot !

i'm working about 3 years now in this room and i only treated the room with some foam sculpts on the front, the

right sidewall and ceiling. i used two different foam pyramide-sculpt absorber.

the white 500mmx500mmx50mm mpk studiowall-absorbers
some technical details i found about these in the internet:

and some black absorber-mats with smaller pyramids than the white absorbers, seems to be cheap manufactured (imprecise length-cut)

maybe i can use them for absorbing the early reflections together with a basstrap on the side wall. what do you think ?

i also have 4 auralex bass absorbers: LENRD Bass Traps - Low frequency sound control products from Auralex Acoustics.

they don't really help treating the bass and are far to expensive, or maybe i don't have enough pieces of them.

does anyone can give me advice where and/or how i could use them after the right treatment with fiberglass basstraps ?

here are some facts and pictures of my room for a roughly overview:

Length: 4.93 meters
Width: 3.74 meters
Height: 2.24 meters

all walls, except one, are stone with plaster.
one length-wall is wood, the other is stone, the ceilling is also wood.

2 doors

2 windows
this is the window on the left sidewall

this is the window behind the big mattress on the rearwall

i already measured the 38% position from the frontwall, speakerposition and sweetspot - actually this is only

important for the acoustic response measurments with etf and room optimizier, no ? before i start with this, is it

better my speakers standing in the ideal triangle position with my 38% sweetspot ?

i'd like to measure this more precisely later when the room treatment is done.

what kind of bass treatment would you recommend for this room ?

i thought about one basstrap on the rear door and maybe one on the doorcorner, two on the front-corners. i could move the cabinet to another place if this makes sense.

what about the ceiling ?

i visited a store who sells fiberglass plates.

they had the thermolan tp-kd 430 60mm, 80mm, 100mm & 120mm

Knauf Insulation Thermolan TP-KD 430

they seem to be ok ... or may should i try others with more density ? money isn't that huge problem (at the moment !)

actually i don't know how i will set the basstraps on the walls and corners. 1 thick fiberglasspanel or 2

middle-thick fiberglasspanels with space between them ? or even more ? is it more effective ?

i will visit two other stores tomorrow and check what they have.

sorry for my incorrect english, but i hope you get my points ! if not, ask

thank you !

marc
Old 10th January 2008
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg View Post
i rode a lot from ethan winers site and his realtraps.com site. very good informations, i'm even not finished with reading. it's a lot !
Most of my articles on the RealTraps site are useful for you too, but if your plan it to make your own bass traps you'll do well to read my Acoustics FAQ:

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

As you'll read there, you need thicker material than you have now for bass frequencies.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search