The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manifold Recording - Studio Construction Thread Condenser Microphones
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

This is what I call a studio construction from the START!!!!! heh
Old 17th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post

This is a great thread.

But for a second I thought you had started building a very badly designed and built holiday resort complex.. until I realized I misunderstood the scale of the photo.... a lot..

I was like.. dude, where is the beach?
Old 19th February 2008
Lives for gear

Shop diagrams completed

*Phew*

I just finished 22 pages @ 36" by 24" of shop diagrams for the masons, plus a schedule listing every block in every wall, by size, type, material, etc. Talk about a detail-oriented project!

Here are images of the shop diagrams for the western wall of the Music Room, inside and outside:

By my count there will be approximately 15,000 blocks at screed or above, plus another 1,000 below. If stacked end to end, they would stretch for four miles. For more info, you can read my latest blog posting.

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Restore image links
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Week 7 photos up on blog...

Here are two of the photos now posted to the blog:

The masons are off to a good start--good people, good plans, good tools, and a great design. The complexity of the masonry plan was the contractor's greatest fear, but it seems that so far, although it is quite complex, we have a good handle on it.

My focus will be shifting from cement to wiring as we prepare for the pouring of the slab. Our basic wiring panel will have 64 discrete jacks (XLR, BNC, RJ-45, etc), and with 10 panels, that's 640 wires just flowing from the panels to the patchbays! Figure another 640 wires from the patchbays to the equipment, plus a few hundred wires here or there for connections not expressed in the patchbays and I figure we've got a wiring plan that will have more than 1500 wires! But that's a post for another week...

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: fixed typo; restore image links
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Heck - you're a more patient person than I am!

I would've already started putting a console desk together, and placing it where it will goes in the new building!

Old 1st March 2008
Lives for gear

New photos plus a wiring diagram

I posted some new photos to my blog, plus I added a draft wiring conduit plan that shows where we're planning to run $21K worth of cables (just raw wire):

Enjoy!

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: restore image links
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

Wiring plan nailed

Updated my blog with photos showing the strings and nails we put into the ground to guide the plumbers as they lay the PVC pipes.

More photos on the blog.

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: restore image links
Old 18th March 2008
Lives for gear

Kewl beans!
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

More photos...conduits about half way done

I posted two new weekly updates with detailed photos. Here's a shot showing half the conduits that will ultimately be going into the audio machine room:

Yo!

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: update image links
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

What is the diameter of the conduit?

Thanks for the update!
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farout View Post
What is the diameter of the conduit?
4" PVC.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

... and whoever said size doesn't count?

Old 31st March 2008
Gear maniac

Looking great Michael! I can´t believe I missed this thread up to this point, going right on my subscription list now
Old 12th April 2008
Lives for gear

Rain delays and complexity

Rain has slowed the construction crew, and the complexity of the wiring plan didn't help, either. We had to do a lot of engineering around the footings that I had not anticipated (because I didn't put the footing outlines into my wiring diagrams before I started drawing conduits). Nevertheless, our talented craftspeople have worked around the problems, and we're just about done with the technical conduits. Here's a picture of a few of the many fat pipes coming into the audio equipment room:

Many more photos on the blog...

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: restore image links
Old 12th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm keeping my comments to Gearslutz to avoid confusion.

Fantastic build and thanks for sharing the experience with us here and on your blog.

Andre
Old 12th April 2008
Lives for gear

this is going to be sick as **** (kewl) please give us more
Old 15th April 2008
Gear interested

What a setting!!!

How much land is it on?

Are you installing PV panels for your energy needs? (Sorry if that has been posted elsewhere and I missed it)
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

Studio on 17 acres

Old 17th April 2008
Gear interested

17 Acres....WOW!!!!!! Forget solar panels, build a solar furnace and supply the whole States electricity

What a great, inspirational setting to record in. Are there going to be any residential buildings/log cabins for bands to stay over in?
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Bed and Breakfast on site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetris View Post
17 Acres....WOW!!!!!! Forget solar panels, build a solar furnace and supply the whole States electricity

What a great, inspirational setting to record in. Are there going to be any residential buildings/log cabins for bands to stay over in?
Already there:

Quote:
Up the hill lies the Windsong Bed, Breakfast, and Retreat Center. Windsong features a beautiful Meadow Room (34'x36' floating plywood floor, 1,224 sq ft, 50 people max capacity), a rustic Sun Room with an adjoining and equally large and rustic sun deck (16'x48' total, ~700 sq ft usable), a kitchen, three additional "living rooms", and three upstairs bedrooms, the largest of which is configured to sleep 6 in bunk beds (or 8 in a pinch). Windsong can be booked through the studio to provide additional facilities for workshops, catering, client accomodations, or it can provide additional services and amenities to further enhance the studio experience: Yoga classes, meditation rooms, holistic health therapy, etc.
Excerpted from the studio page...Here's a photo from the blog that shows the house in the background:

Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Website Construction Progress

I'm happy to report that construction in the virtual world is also progressing. The old website was definitely Plain Vanilla. The new one is Crème brûlée.
Old 18th April 2008
Gear maniac

Your new website is... delicious! heh
Very clean, a real pleasure to surf on!
Old 19th April 2008
Lives for gear

Gravel is in (partially)

Half the gravel that's been sitting at the construction site has now been conveyed to the foundation. This means that ground level is now minus 8" instead of minus 2'.

Lots more photos on the blog.

Last edited by Clueless; 26th February 2011 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: restore image links
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

Electrical conduits mostly in

I posted a new series of construction photos to my blog showing the latest progress: electrical conduits:

Will we pour the slab by the end of the month? Stay tuned!
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

Have no fear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTempest View Post
This project is amazing, but if I was you I would have built it in this pre existing structure. ^_^

Seriously though, never tear that thing down. I like shacks like that, ultimate history. I hate when they tear them down around here.
We have no plans to tear it down. On the other hand, we have no plans to keep it standing, either. If all goes according to plan, it will collapse under its own weight some time next spring.
Then we will remove/recycle the materials and enjoy our beautiful site.
Old 11th May 2008
Lives for gear

Just crossed the $200K spending mark...

...and the clean power conduits are now all out of the ground. More info on the blog.

Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Good lawd!!!!
Old 23rd May 2008
PDC
Lives for gear

Did you hire an acoustician or a consultant? The layout makes me nervous for you.
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Did you hire an acoustician or a consultant? The layout makes me nervous for you.
I hired Wes Lachot. What part of it makes you nervous? Have you had a bad experience in any space like this one?
Old 24th May 2008
PDC
Lives for gear

Your floor plan doesn't look like something he has done traditionally.

The symetry of your tracking room is what gets me. Maybe it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't think that a guy would want so many angles and across from each other like that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search