The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build
Old 7th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. E. View Post
I've used both WLG031, WLG034, WLG039 mineral wool and WLG035 polyester absorbent.
to get it right: so wlg035 for the metal panel absorbers? and the mineral wool for the rest of the the room? this room looks stunning.
Old 7th August 2020 | Show parent
EOG
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi, I've posted all kinds of diffusor-pics in the "DIY Diffusors to the Max"-thread over the years. Enjoy!
Well aware, great thread. And THX³ for sketchup files!
Old 9th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Right or Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrecords View Post
to get it right: so wlg035 for the metal panel absorbers? and the mineral wool for the rest of the the room? this room looks stunning.
Hi, I want to be clear about this: one kind of absorbent or absorber type is not any better or worse than the other per se. First we have to be clear what we want to achieve. Sorry, therefor the answer to your question is neither a simple yes nor no. Your decision depends on technical qualities, price, convenience, availability, space requirements, etc. ... you name it. It's an individual decision every time. Personally I use polyester absorbents quite a lot especially for their convenience when they are combined with metal sheets.
Old 11th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi, I want to be clear about this: one kind of absorbent or absorber type is not any better or worse than the other per se. First we have to be clear what we want to achieve. Sorry, therefor the answer to your question is neither a simple yes nor no. Your decision depends on technical qualities, price, convenience, availability, space requirements, etc. ... you name it. It's an individual decision every time. Personally I use polyester absorbents quite a lot especially for their convenience when they are combined with metal sheets.

Interesting that you pointed that out, G.E.
I imagine one main reason for the use of WLG035 is the natural support it offers to the plate, is it? Can i safely assume a Mineralwool with similar GFR could offer the same performance or is there another parameter i'm missing?

Thanks for the answers!
Old 12th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

VPR Puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exprymer View Post
... I imagine one main reason for the use of WLG035 is the natural support it offers to the plate, is it? Can i safely assume a Mineralwool with similar GFR could offer the same performance or is there another parameter i'm missing? ...
Thinking of all the different qualities of mineral wool I doubt that it is safe to assume that GFR alone indicates similar (mechanical) properties and results. On the other hand as far as I know VPRs have already been built with mineral wool but not by me.

May I point you to some older posts from 2011 that are clearly connected to the multiple ways VPRs work:
Old 12th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Learning a little more everyday

Quote:
Thinking of all the different qualities of mineral wool I doubt that it is safe to assume that GFR alone indicates similar (mechanical) properties and results. On the other hand as far as I know VPRs have already been built with mineral wool but not by me.
I see. Well, i'd like to present a project i've done using the knowledge of EPAs you've shared throughout the years on Gearslutz, here or in Private, if you have the time. All the data it's in a Thread here.

A feedback from you regarding the final result and construction of them would be really important for me. Let me know if you have the time!

Started following the Social media of Lewitt studios just to watch they put their Room to good use. haha
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exprymer View Post
I see. Well, i'd like to present a project i've done using the knowledge of EPAs you've shared throughout the years on Gearslutz, here or in Private, if you have the time. All the data it's in a Thread here.

A feedback from you regarding the final result and construction of them would be really important for me. Let me know if you have the time! ...
Sorry, no. I don't give this kind of advice/answer on forums, never, neither publicly nor private. Everyone who has ever PMed me knows this. Its better for both parties!

Please, let's stick to the name and the purpose of this thread for the convenience of reading.

Last edited by G. E.; 13th August 2020 at 05:27 PM..
Old 15th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Stunning work, thanks for sharing.

What is the thickness of the HDF BAD panels that you use?
Old 15th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Panel Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb_87 View Post
Stunning work, thanks for sharing.

What is the thickness of the HDF BAD panels that you use?
Thanks! All in all with the fabric the panels are 87mm [~3.43"] thick with 50mm [~2"] absorbent and a mean distance of about 250mm [~10"] to the wall.
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks! All in all with the fabric the panels are 87mm [~3.43"] thick with 50mm [~2"] absorbent and a mean distance of about 250mm [~10"] to the wall.
Cool, thanks for this! And what thickness HDF do you use?
Lives for gear

Reflecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb_87 View Post
Cool, thanks for this! And what thickness HDF do you use?
As thin as possible to make it more lightweight without loosing the structural integrity of the module (depends on the construction, hole diameter and the mounting load). Usually 3mm to 12mm [~1/8" to ½"] of reflective material get it done.
Gear Nut

Quote:
As thin as possible to make it more lightweight without loosing the structural integrity of the module (depends on the construction, hole diameter and the mounting load). Usually 3mm to 12mm [~1/8" to ½"] of reflective material get it done.
Perfect, thank you for your generous info
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just a few more questions, I hope you don't mind...

How do BAD panels perform in general if used at first reflection points on the side wall?

what if they are used on the face of the angled walls between the side walls and loudspeaker front wall as part of a RFZ? Will the diffusion redirect reflections at the listener's ears that would otherwise miss the listener's ears if the BAD panels were not there?

And would you recommend them to cover thick absorption on the rear wall behind the listener?
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Panels Getting Varnished

Moving four carefully CNC'd panels to the workshop where they are going to get varnished in dark grey. I heard MDF is a beast when it comes to lacquer so its going to be an interesting ride. Next batch will probably be black coloured MDF from the start which should make it much easier to varnish (the holes won't need any colour).

These panels will cover the frames right in front of the A/C outlet on the upper right corner.
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-131-hexagons.jpg  
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

MDF PITA

Quote:
... I heard MDF is a beast when it comes to lacquer so its going to be an interesting ride ...
As supposed quite a PITA, came out nicely anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-132-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-133-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-134-hexagons.jpg  
📝 Reply