The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Alien Hug?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. E. View Post
... the hexagons should turn out just like this preview:
In the progress of putting more and more finished hexagons on the walls. The geometry of the pics is slightly off due to iPhone's panorama-mode.
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-113-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-114-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-115-hexagons.jpg  
Old 8th October 2019
EOG
Here for the gear
Alien Hug?!
Old 9th October 2019
Wow! I like the delineation of the intimate mixing position and the largeness of the room. Congratulations G. E. and Lewitt; really inspiring and original.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

65 of 68

Getting closer ... took some DSLR pics today.

The more modules went up the more the lights and shadows caused additional texture on the modules.
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-117-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-118-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-116-hexagons.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-119-hexagons.jpg  

Last edited by G. E.; 14th October 2019 at 08:01 PM..
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Getting closer ... took some DSLR pics today.

The more modules went up the more the lights and shadows caused additional texture on the modules.
Inspiring creativity on display here!

Bravo!

Until you post some MLS measurements of the room, we will assume that the acoustic effectiveness matches the visual.
Old 15th October 2019
EOG
Here for the gear
Stunning!
What speakers do they use? Looks like Visaton AL drivers.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobob View Post
... Until you post some MLS measurements of the room, we will assume that the acoustic effectiveness matches the visual.
Most if the time I use "periodic noise" in ARTA. There's an MLS option too, so lets check it out next time.

BTW: With the current amount of total absorption the results for reverb times get more and more invalid using one directional speaker (it's not what the norm asks for anyway). From what I can estimate from the latest informal measurements done with 40 hexagons installed we're right on track (shown values are supposed to be lower than a measurement with an omnidirectional source).
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-120-t20-40hexagons-octave.gif   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-121-t20-40hexagons-octave.gif  

Last edited by G. E.; 16th October 2019 at 01:48 PM..
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Current Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOG View Post
... What speakers do they use? Looks like Visaton AL drivers.
The final decision about the speakers has not been made yet. On the latest pics above you see speakers by Haigner.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Freelancing Is a Brave Act

Seth Godin's recent article "Freelancing is a brave act" seems to sum up quite perfectly what I have been trying to say since I began this thread.

"... Better clients demand more, pay more and talk about your work. Better clients make it easier for you to level up, and better clients challenge you to dig deeper and do what you’re capable of. ..." —Seth Godin

Thanks to LEWITT for being that better client to me and thanks for the kind words on this project to all of you!
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Inhouse Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Wow! I like the delineation of the intimate mixing position and the largeness of the room. Congratulations G. E. and Lewitt; really inspiring and original.
Thanks, feels good to read words that express understanding. Kudos to LEWITT inhouse designer and brand manger Sandra and product designer Gernot for their vision!
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-122-hexagons.jpg  
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hexagonal Skyline Diffusorbers in the Making

The fake (mobile) back wall for the control room area consists of three gobos equipped with hexagonal skyline diffusorbers facing the engineer.

112m [~367'] of raw hexagonal oak strips made by Yspertaler Wohnkultur are on the way to Vienna for finishing and assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-123-skyline-gobos.jpg  

Last edited by G. E.; 18th October 2019 at 04:26 PM..
Old 5th December 2019
EOG
Here for the gear
Any news?
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Wow, this is an awesome thread, highly appreciated!!!

Quote:
To use some corner floor space I came up with what I like to call Enhanced Porous Absorbers ... think of it as a straddling VPR-like construction without exactly being a VPR. I used 2,0m^2 [~22sf] steel per side, sandwiched in 10cm [~4"] polyester absorbent, covered with 4,4m^2 [~47sf] of 5cm polyester absorbent and fabric.

All that gives some really broad absorption as you can see in the T20 diagram:
If I may ask: This is
- wall : 10 cm absorber : steel plate : 5 cm absorber
or
- wall :10 cm absorber: steel plate : 10 cm absorber : 5 cm absorber?

Thanks!

Last edited by Hannes_F; 11th December 2019 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Enhanced Porous Absorber?

.. double post ..
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

EPA Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
... If I may ask: This is
- wall : 10 cm absorber : steel plate : 5 cm absorber
or
- wall :10 cm absorber: steel plate : 10 cm absorber : 5 cm absorber? ...
The latter: Steel sandwiched between two 10cm absorbers. Done carefully it's basically freestanding on its own and doesn't need too much further framing.
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Hexagonal Skyline Diffusorber Gobos

In the process of manufacturing three kind of "hexagonal skyline diffusorber gobos" with BAD-panel like hexagonal back-panels. They're gonna be heavy, I calculated a weight of slightly over 90kg [~198lbs] each.
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-125-skyline-gobos.jpg   LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-126-skyline-gobos.jpg  
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

So these are two-sided for changing the acoustics from mixing to tracking/performing?
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

QSF Gobo Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
So these are two-sided for changing the acoustics from mixing to tracking/performing?
They have different acoustic properties in the front and the back to offer flexible application in this multi-purpose room. For example you could form a Quick Sound Field setup (well, kind of).
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-127-skyline-gobos.jpg  
Old 20th December 2019
Here for the gear

Regarding the BAD panels

Hello Gernot, Have been following your progress since the very beginning of the thread, and it's enough to say that you're an inspiration.

But i have some questions regarding the BAD panels.
1- Do they affect the performance of the EPA's in any way, assuming the panels lies in front of them?
2- All the hexagons type of panels are indeed BAD panels? the front face of the panels are metal of Wood?
3- Is it required that the absorbent inside de Panels touches the front (perforated) side of the panel?
4- the LED's are behind each panel or inside of them? (some light coming out of the holes would be baddass)

Again, This project has helped me in many of ways, thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 21st December 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Very interesting build-out. I've not seen one like this before. A lot of work obviously went into this.
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exprymer View Post
... i have some questions regarding the BAD panels. ...
Quote:
1- Do they affect the performance of the EPA's in any way, assuming the panels lies in front of them?
A typical BAD panel with a hole area somewhere at 40% to 70% won't affect an EPA below lets say 200Hz (or even higher).

Quote:
2- All the hexagons type of panels are indeed BAD panels? the front face of the panels are metal of Wood?
Not all heagons are BAD panels, see the Milestone ... all the fronts are fabric covered HDF.

Quote:
3- Is it required that the absorbent inside de Panels touches the front (perforated) side of the panel?
It makes sense to use all the volume behind the perforated panel.

Quote:
4- the LED's are behind each panel or inside of them? (some light coming out of the holes would be baddass)
The LEDs are outside the panels.

I did some backlit-panels a year ago (see below).
Attached Thumbnails
LEWITT Headquarters Studio Build-lewitt-hq-studio-build-128-3rdparty-led-variant.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search