The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Improve Mix Room + Add a Live Room
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Improve Mix Room + Add a Live Room

Aloha - I've been wanting to get the acoustics in my mix room right for years. I actually have been predominantly mixing on Sonarworks calibrated headphones because my mixes translate better than when I mix on my speakers.

I started working with Jeff Hedback 2 years ago to help me come up with a plan. He was awesome to work with and, understanding my needs and scope, came up with a great plan for me.

Then my wife recommended that we should also expand into the garage and add a live room (yes, I have the best wife in the world.) So I contacted Jeff again and he helped me to design a Live Room. My wife and I were willing to sacrifice the entire garage, but Jeff ended up coming with a plan that fit our budget that uses half of the garage for the live room.

A couple of months ago an investor manifested who loaned me money to start building. It's slow going because I'm building it myself, and with people who are willing to help me for free, or occasionally I'll pay someone like $20 an hour.

I'm in Hawaii, and the first thing I discovered is that it's incredibly difficult to get OC703 fiberglass panels and Rockwool panels. I found ONE HVAC company on Oahu, called Admor HVAC through whom I could order the materials.

The cost of shipping these products to the Big Island is incredibly expensive.

This is what my mix room looked like before construction begins
Attached Thumbnails
Improve Mix Room + Add a Live Room-img_6930.jpg   Improve Mix Room + Add a Live Room-img_6931.jpg  
Old 18th June 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Nice! Good luck to you moving forward. I know from recent personal experience that building your own studio is a labor of love for sure. And I have an amazing wife as well, so you're super double fortunate there!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search