The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reconfigured bedroom/mixing room so people don't have to sit on my bed anymore!
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Reconfigured bedroom/mixing room so people don't have to sit on my bed anymore!

So I'm not a professional audio engineer. At least, I have no real training other than doing this myself and watching, listening to, talking with engineers I've been in studios with and have become friends with. But I have recorded my band's albums and we have a small licensing/publishing contract and have gotten our tunes on TV/internet/ads/etc, which is pretty cool!

I have a 2 bedroom house and use one bedroom as a recording space, with the walk-in closet set up as a vocal/amp/acoustic booth. I track drums in my living room, which is really just one big room that has the kitchen and rest of house access so it sounds pretty decent. I mix and track some of my own vocals and acoustic in the other bedroom, which I sleep in. This is the third home I've lived in over the last 15 years or so I've been recording myself and my band and my friends' bands and even other bands. All those other times I've kept my mixing room as my bedroom. Most of those times we've recorded in the same room, or down the hall. Having doors separate me and the sound became a thing maybe 7 years ago, which has been nice. And all those other places, folks have had to sit on my bed behind me, in addition to chairs I'd drag in the room.

Well I wanted this place to be different! So I took my 12'x16'x8' bedroom and moved my bed into the corner, and set up a row of chairs and tables behind my mixing chair. Today I finally got my sound panels screwed into the studs in the wall instead of leaning against the wall and precariously sitting on end tables. It feels good to have a 'real' space for people to come and sit while recording and listening to their stuff!

Next, I hope to build rockwool bass traps and then hang one of two heavy lead curtains I have in the other bedroom's window, but I'm trying to think what's the best way to the curtain flush with the window while doing the least amount of drilling into the place...

Anyway I took a couple pics of my room from my mixing chair. Feels good to have it all set up! Also, a bag of 100 zip ties is so great. After these pics were taken I sorted out the wiring under my desk. The audio gear is fed by two cable snakes that are all plugged in (with zipties and stuff!) in the back. Can't wait to get my band and others in here this summer

I need to add more of my minitraps behind the speakers/monitor I believe. And I'd like to hang something from the ceiling one day too, because when I clap my hands in the chair I can hear lingering sound going back up the ceiling.

...I should have probably finished tidying up and put the chairs back behind me before I took these panoramic pics, ha. But I can fit 6 chairs behind/around me now and before it was a bed. Chairs and tables for their drinks, etc. seems much better:

In the other bedroom's closet, I record vocals/acoustic/put amps in there, what have you:

And then run a snake into the living room for the drums:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search