The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New commercial build in Denver
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
New commercial build in Denver

Ok, time to start the official build thread. This is a consolidated thread, I'm going to update these posts over the next month or so until we get caught up with realtime, but the actual project started about a year and a half ago.

A little backstory, I've personally been doing music in one way or another full time for about 20 years now, the whole time building up my old studio from a booth in the corner of a studio type apartment into a busy full time room with multiple engineers working out of it.

Here are a couple shots of the old studio, getting ready to start tracking drums for a killer band named Eminence Ensemble-

Here is Jadakiss in the booth-

And a shot of the current (soon to be old) control room-

It's been a great spot to work and grow the business, but with a lot of things going on in the space it's been time to move for a while now. My wife also has a very small single chair hair salon and also has been looking to move her business into a bigger space, so we began to hunt 5-6 years ago for place for both.

Our first plan started to come into focus when we got this little house next to a brand new park. The house had commercial zoning, which we changed to mixed use, which would allow us to build on the rest of the 13,000sf lot for both the salon and studio. This wasn't something we were going to be able to afford right away, so we AirBnB'd the house and saved for a few years-

Meanwhile Denver really exploded and construction of projects here became nuts. After speaking to handful a builders, we started to realize that we were either going to have to save a lot more, take a lot of debt, or look at other options. We also realized that we would likely be creating a whole building that would fit our needs very specifically, and wouldn't likely have very good resale value. Right about that time this place across the street from the house came for sale-

After checking it out, it had a >11' clear height to the bottom of 2' tall I-joists, the space is a clear span, 3400 sf, 17 parking spaces and would be something that we could get both of our businesses into. We talked it over and while it was going to be a challenge, we realized that this was going to be the best option for us. So we closed on the loan, got the keys and dove in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
The first step was demo-

This is what it looked like. Before we got it, it was a quilting shop. So they had a bunch of retail for quilting, and some rooms where they taught quilting lessons.

I got a demo permit and started knocking down walls. My initial plan was to keep the old bathrooms, but after getting more into it, I realized that we were going to have to cut up the slab and redo the plumbing for the salon anyway, I might as well move everything around. At that time I thought I would be doing a quick studio build (whatever that is). After getting further into it, I realized that with everything it takes- Architect and MEP+structural engineers, plus all the time you have to wait for them and then wait for the city, it made more sense to move things around and get the most from the space.

Walls coming down-

At this point I was trying to save some of the drop ceiling

Eventually it all came out-

Then the old ductwork

It was right around this time when I got one guy on the job more or less full time. Before then I was doing 40+ hrs a week in the studio and 40+ working on the new building...

Some things I didn't get pics of, we did a spray foam insulation inside the Mansard Roof, this was for both thermal and sound isolation. It's all steel framing with plywood decking and you could see daylight and feel wind blowing in. The building was put up in the early 80s, so there wasn't a lot of insulation. Ultimately the whole place was gutted.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

super cool! Lived in Denver for about 15 years. Hope this all works out for you.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Next up a whole bunch of paint. CMU really soaks up paint, also while we were at it I figured it would be a good idea to do killz on the ceiling and the joists for water/mold protection. I think all together it was around 70 gallons of paint with 4-5 coats on the CMU walls- first I used up all the old paints that came with the building and then killz.

We also rented this skid steer and built a fence in the backyard of the house as well as the backyard of the building. Around 240' feet of fence in total. We're going to live in the house there and being on the park we found that far too many people though our backyard was part of the park (or just a good place to let their dogs poop!).

Here is the backyard of the studio, this is going to be a little patio area with some corrugated polycarbonate and clear MLV gazebo/solarium along with some big grow-op sized carbon scrubbers to make the ahem *green* room. Also Cody painted the CMU walls on the outside a darker color. With this wall being south facing, and all the deciduous trees and plants to the south of that, the solarium will offer significant passive solar gain. I will use an evaporative cooler for it in the summer, and use the positive pressure from that to push through the can filters.

I got 2 more pairs of radian 951pb compression drivers with the truxtant 4" beryllium diaphragms. That's what I call a tweeter! About 10lbs for just the motor assembly. These bad boys can do the top 5 octaves as good as anything I've heard. The waveguides they will be used with are the ones in the back which are SEOS24's.

Meanwhile business is good at the current studio, Bubba Sparxxx came in for a session...super nice guy. I'm very thankful to have a place that works well while being able to build a better one.-

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
The next step is building desks, gobos, big poly's for the ceilings, and other slatted panels. Doing this while architect and MEP phase is taking way longer than it should. If you ever hire an architect- make sure to get one who is also a drafter. Ours wasn't and he had one leave for greener pastures in the middle of the process and it added a lot of time to that phase.

Anyway, here we are cutting the acacia butcher block countertop for the desks, these are on a 3-leg motorized height adjustable frame. There is an 88 key controller on some heavy duty drawer slides that pulls out from underneath, and on top there will be a sliding tray for a control surface. This way the control surface can be pulled up front when needed, but can also be pushed back when desk space is needed.

While the desk is fairly large as a reflection source, at 18" deep it will only reflect about ~750hz and up. Because the speakers are controlled/constant directivity types they will be positioned so that 750hz will not reach the desk.

Here it is with the keyboard-

Some dual-opposed subs, I will use long all thread to mount the drivers so that they are mechanically coupled. The advantage to that is they are force cancelling, so there is no direct flanking energy. These will be using relatively inexpensive dayton reference drivers and will likely be upgrade later on.

Here are a bunch of panels and boxes being built. We reused the insulation that was in the building...all of it. Pretty amazing that an entire 1980's buildings worth of insulation goes into just these. This is about 1/3rd of them.

So much dacron...really just getting started with it too-

4 big polys for the ceilings of the recording rooms. They don't really look like it in the pic, but these are 8' x 8'. The frames here got painted black and the luan plywood stained cherry and then a couple coats of polyurethane.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Here it is with the keyboard-

What keyboard drawer is that? I've been trying to find something for an 88 weighted, but can't seem to find that sort of thing.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
What keyboard drawer is that? I've been trying to find something for an 88 weighted, but can't seem to find that sort of thing.
I built them from aluminum 1.5" angle and extra heavy duty drawer slides. The aluminum can be cut with a regular carbide blade on a miter saw. Then I used bolts in the corners along with JB weld. Super sturdy because of the extra heavy duty drawer slides (the ones I have are rated for 400lbs I think, accuride. Pricey but worth it for this).
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Congrats on the new build Ryan! Are you doing some/most of the construction yourself? Can't wait to see what you do with that massive space!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Congrats on the new build Ryan! Are you doing some/most of the construction yourself? Can't wait to see what you do with that massive space!
Thanks man (it's Tuvial right?). Yeah, I've got help but doing everything I can. We should catch up at some point... Still really busy with this project but I should be done mid to late summer. I'd love to come see your place as well.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Ryan, it is great to see the studio build behind one of the most helpful people on the forum! I do hope all goes well and according to plan, even if not always according to the timetable. We'd love to see how your wife's salon also turns out as you are sharing the building.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Ryan, it is great to see the studio build behind one of the most helpful people on the forum! I do hope all goes well and according to plan, even if not always according to the timetable. We'd love to see how your wife's salon also turns out as you are sharing the building.
Thanks Starlight! I've learned so much from the community here so try to do as best as I can to return the favor. I followed your build quite a bit too and appreciate all the help you've brought to the forum.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Here are some more shots of building various panels and absorber boxes-

Frame for some gobos-

Side panels with lights inside-

And with slats-

3 gobos, these are using these casters that can drop the whole gobo (with rubber sill mat on the bottom) to the floor-

And with some slats going on-

Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Those gobos with the slats and the ones with the internal lights look sweet! Cool design!
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Those gobos with the slats and the ones with the internal lights look sweet! Cool design!
Thanks man. One thing I've learned in this era is to have good lighting for video in the studio. People are always shooting for actual videos or social media etc. A lot of face level and even ground level uplighting prevents shadows on the face and is really important for people with darker skin. I've seen way too many IG videos in the old studio where you can't even see the artists face...

The studio mains that I've made also have much tighter directivity than really any product on the market, which is great for not having as many early reflections to treat, but has the nice side effect of making cell phone videos sound surprisingly decent.

It may seem like a small thing, but if IG videos from the studio have a relatively decent production quality- it represents the whole studio well and takes better advantage of the free advertising.

I'm using those side panels with the lights in them now in my sort of test space slash 2nd room and they work great- really light up everyone's faces.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search