The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New commercial build in Denver
Old 15th January 2020
Ok so moving on-

One thing is we have had a lot of snow through the fall here...which is pretty cool because I have Olaf (Frozen obsessed daughter got to name the ATV) here to help me out-

Luckily enough nicer weather to get some work done. Boom truck came and they removed the old RTU and put the new equipment on the roof. 2 4 ton heat pumps, 1 one tone ac compressor for the studio, and one 5 ton AC compressor for the salon-

Out with the old-

In with the new-

I had to beef up the curb on the roof with some framing to support the split heat pumps. This job really kicked my ass. At this point it's jut Nick and I soldering on and Nick is afraid of heights so he pushed the material about halfway up the ladder and I pulled up from there to the roof. I wanted it to be really stable because they can blow around in the wind and the linesets can wiggle out of the fittings so I used two layers of 3/4 OSB. Ooff.

Here's the old curb with the old unit off-

Framing and the first layer of OSB going on-

[IMG]https://e1tknq.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mIu-zCvR-gE-i-IXsXMQ4hGJfyvfxrT1JLQ48nIkSzqsHXbzS9lgcMZN_CtkieW7HcxGXT5QQJpmvmddi7AAzYCxxMPji_ufSbgzTkzDjhn9gZb2***TcNnLbLBZ4g4KDYdTSUXNb-jZdWPjhEBf7a5kZdHUho_gD2vuUubogsMnVEsXzJeniesB_WXl08j8RntQXj1sPGCG_1jo2ukU0ng?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none[/IMG]

Two layers and the cap metal on-

Stands and the 1 ton ac for the computer closet-

And the big boys up there. After being super sore from doing the curb, the Hvac guys 'forgot' to mention that only this one guy, Eric, was coming to install these. So the two of us had to get these up on the stands. It's one trend I don't love on this project is that when the sub contractors find out I've done most of this work they pawn more work off on me. At this point I'd rather just do it, the negative energy and stress of arguing is far worse. Anway we got it done, these suckers are 250lbs each. Good thing Eric is an Ox. The other guys forgot to take that 1 ton compressor up with the crane and he just threw it on his shoulder and carried it up the ladder.

We got the clouds hung up. These are ultra secure up there. The main load is on some Sammy's that are anchored into the joists, and then all thread coming all the way through the cloud with nuts and fender washers on the bottom. In addition to that there are some hooks on the top framing of the clouds with turnbuckles. The inner framing is all held together with carriage bolts, so either the upper or lower framing, the sammy's and allthread or the hooks and turnbuckles could easily support the whole weight.

I finished out these subs, they are dual opposed, so there is another driver on the other side. These are using medium priced Dayton drivers, but I'm pretty impressed with them...right now I just have one sub per room, in the long run I'll build either two more of these, or move up to some higher end drivers and build 6 so all the systems are stereo subs. But I could be happy with the performance of these guys for sure.

The first measurement is the mdat above. Really pleased with the decay times and overall response. I'll ultimately play with some pressure based absorbers to see if I can tighten up the LF further, but the bass resolution in here is really good.

Also this was the first point where I got to really test the isolation between rooms. The results are excellent, better than I had expected. Now that I found my actual meter I'll retest, but with the phone app I had 105dB @ 25hz at the sub, and on the other side of the wall in the big room only about 60dB. In practice the system in the control room can be set loud, and the bass in the big room is below the threshold of hearing.

We also finished out the last of the framing in the salon. I'd never built a curved wall before. A bit time consuming but it came out nicely.

Also got the chance to setup some actual drums in here, which is very exciting because not only do they sound amazing (clips coming soon), but also the isolation, both room to room and room to outside is awesome. There will be no problems tracking drums in the big room and vocals for a different project in the next room, and no issues recording drums/bands at any hour of the night.

Most importantly this little rockstar loves the setup-

[IMG]https://gfq9tw.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mrALgK0BaQqtHK_wFeb_6RRL1ek7uCo6kipyKui3JFoPv4ouPjmtLrlB_HTNj_bGWMPvuB021_wgrGWh5JV18PFJPEcEbmjve1DV50WD1Hq6c8N000X7wmCu00VmfTD1sxc84YGjYQv3I6jJrO3FjSWjkqYfLROcy3FQ8IewcEIG***xtF4xGXjHrXwJqBsG7WAeb9KCJ38O963xPqXE9Fg?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none[/IMG]
Old 15th January 2020
Impressed by your work. Canโ€™t wait to see the completion. Iโ€™m in Colorado so Iโ€™m rooting for your success.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Great job! I feel your pain regarding sub contractors...
Old 15th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Great job! I feel your pain regarding sub contractors...
In two to three weeks I won't have anyone else to depend on except for myself and my direct help. This is going to be such a huge weight off of my shoulders! Ironic because there will still literally be a lot of weight on my shoulders- but the endless rescheduling and not doing as much as they said that day and on and on and on becomes exhausting!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

@ RyanC -- these rooms are absolutely beautiful, I'm loving seeing how this is all coming together. If my group ever has a day off when we roll through central CO I would love to come see the place in person. It looks like an incredible resource for that excellent community of musicians!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Also hoping you do well. We are in Denver now, and getting any contractor worth a damn to show up and actually do work is near impossible in this town. I thought it was just me.

Where is the new space? Sorry if you said already...
Old 16th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
Also hoping you do well. We are in Denver now, and getting any contractor worth a damn to show up and actually do work is near impossible in this town. I thought it was just me.

Where is the new space? Sorry if you said already...
Yeah man, 10+ years of the construction housing boom has them all spoiled rotten. I have a great plumber if you need one though...

We're right by the old lakeside amusement park off of i70 and Sheridan, just west of there.
Old 16th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
@ RyanC -- these rooms are absolutely beautiful, I'm loving seeing how this is all coming together. If my group ever has a day off when we roll through central CO I would love to come see the place in person. It looks like an incredible resource for that excellent community of musicians!
Thanks! Yeah absolutely, let me know when you're in town.
Old 17th March 2020
Just thought I would post a quick update, have been super busy lately because about two weeks ago we passed all our final inspections and are official in here.

Still a lot of work to do to get everything completely setup, but everything is up and working.

Here is some video of the first band I had in, also my first client experience using the Dante setup, which is super easy to use. We recorded 6 songs, did some minimal overdubs and all the mixing in one day. Super happy with the sound that I'm getting in here, both tracking wise and the control rooms. Especially considering how quickly this was done (they shot video for all 6 songs too).

What was really great is we were still able to run a vocal session for a rapper in the other rooms while doing this. Now if we can just get through the coronapocalypse...

Salon is still moving along, a little more drywall and electrical and we will be at the point of only having finish work. Kindof crappy timing though. My wife currently has a one room space (just her and one client at a time) that she rents and with everything going on that might actually be better than getting the bigger salon done. Crappy situation with all this, but life will go on...
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Beautiful build man. Congrats!
Old 30th May 2020
Little update now that I finally got a good camera (a7iii, sigma 24-70 f2.8), and have more of the lighting sorted. We're all up and running, and have actually been crazy busy through all this. "Media Services" we're exempted during the business closures, and we also have been very selective with clients, limiting people and so on.

I still have a lot of work to do, the 2nd booth is full of junk that I need to sell and get sorted, the video system between the rooms is functional for now (and works great) but I need to get it setup so it's easier to patch between different setups, also need to mount some more screens for the video above the daw hdtvs...and I need to figure out a better personal headphone mixing system. I'm hoping focusrite updates the ipad app for the Red 8Pre's so I can use that. Also getting a 3rd workstation setup for the big room, need to setup the speakers in there and get rid of some of the bass traps that we didn't end up using.

But it's been great, everything is sounding amazing, we've got some really exciting sync leads in the works and it feels like a lot of positive motion. I feel a little guilty that everything is going so well with the state of the world...The salon is coming along as well, should be done in a few months which will be a huge relief.

Here are some pics-

Front Control room

Booth 1 (attached to front CR)

Big room

Big room from the door (Yes, I'm a Josephson junkie)

Rear control room (I've been loving Studio One lately)

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

That is fuuuuggin gorgeous, man. Those Josephsons in that room are gonna make for some beautiful sounds. Now you just need some killing musicians!
Old 30th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
That is fuuuuggin gorgeous, man. Those Josephsons in that room are gonna make for some beautiful sounds. Now you just need some killing musicians!
Well, get up here man...I got a freezer full of food, a bbq and one of the nicer futon beds!

Yeah, it is kindof a drag to have minimal band activity right now, but one of my main goals with this being done is to get back to writing/production work. I have a client that's booked me out until sept at least in the rear studio doing exactly that...It's probably not really your style, but I'm really excited about the direction/momentum with this project- we have some publishers really excited and are in for some big sync pitches already.

There are actually some acoustic drums in there! I played everything but the drums, and we all wrote the topline together. This is actually just one variation of this song that we're testing on YT right now.

I can't wait till it's more practical to have more bands and more varied action overall in here though. That said, I have older parents and my daughter spends a lot of time with them. All the people working on this project are being very careful and I feel super lucky to be busy, making a living, making music and reasonably safe...
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

That track sounds great! I actually love a lot of electronic stuff, despite my incorrigible jazz/fusion background, and I've accidentally ended up writing a bunch of tunes for my band by trying to teach myself how to make house and drum'n'bass tracks. That's pretty much how our first two albums got written...
๐Ÿ“ Reply