The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy
Old 6th January 2019
Here for the gear

Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy

Hi all,
it's my first post here on GS, so i think i should introduce myself.
My name is Alessandro Pasini, I'm an italian architect in my mid 30's. I ever since had a strong passion for music, i played for years as touring musician, engineered records, built tube gear with my own brand, etc

So this passion led me to specializing in acoustic design and after some years of work i decided it's time to post some diaries of recording studios i designed and built over the years.

I'm starting with the most recent completed project that is called "Attitude Studio". It's based in Milano and run by Andrea Rock, an italian radio DJ for Virgin Radio and musician.

The studio design and construction was quite challenging since it sits in the basement of a residential building of the 1930s, which suffer from poor isolation (original slab to residential apartment provided just only Rw = 42 dB) and limited height (305 cm). The basement is also full of building's plumbing that can be a nightmare for isolation

The studio comprises one control room, one recording room, one iso booth, a lobby, bathroom, a small office and an archive space.

Here are some images of the basement just before construction start.
Attached Thumbnails
Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20171221_171313_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20171221_171350_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20171221_171501_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20171221_171441_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20171221_171457_hi.jpg  

Old 6th January 2019
Here for the gear

Update 1 - Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy

The presence of load bearing walls allover the place (it's a basement) hardly limited the layout options.

The only accesses is from a concrete staircase that couldn't be moved.
After some thinking we decided together with the client to set recording room in the largest possible place, which led to a more functional and rational layout as well.

The work was carried out along a three and a half months span, and involved the following phases:
  • stripout of old electrical, plumbing, flooring, false ceiling,
  • excavation to gain height for the live room
  • interception and diversion of existing building plumbing
  • construction of a new crawl space to get rid of humidity
  • construction of isoaltion floor with discrete pads and concrete pour
  • construction of self loading wallsand ceiling
  • installation of MEP elements
  • contruction of internal acoustic treatement

Here are some shot of the demolition phase as well as a general plan of the studio.

Please note the huge amount of plumbing coming/ going to upfloor apartments, an isolation nightmare!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_general-plan.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180510_104619_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180510_103556_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180507_145841_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180503_102722_hi.jpg  

Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180503_102159_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180503_102309_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180503_102117_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-img_20180503_102155_hi.jpg  
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Update 2 - Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy

Here's the progress as far as box in box construction:

iso pad, then pipes for wiring, mineralwool, plywood then concrete.
Attached Thumbnails
Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2adesign_building-1-6-.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2adesign_building-2-6-.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2adesign_building-3-6-.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2adesign_building-4-6-.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2adesign_building-5-6-.jpg  

Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2adesign_building-6-6-.jpg  
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

Studio completed - Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy

So, here it is the studio completed!
Attached Thumbnails
Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2a_control_web.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2a_-21_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2a_-12_hi.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2a_-15.jpg   Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2a_-11_hi-1-.jpg  

Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude-studio-05.jpg  
Old 8th September 2019
Hi Alessandro! Welcome to Gearslutz

Thanks for sharing your build; looks great. I like the mint green.

Best, Arthur

PS sorry I missed the first post earlier...you've been busy with the build. It looks awesome.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Great finish, looks awesome! I really like the furniture design - gives some great insparation for my console upgrade...

Regards,
Dirk
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

These aren’t actual pics Computer renderings? Doesn’t look real
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Maniac

fantastic build
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

I am interested in that special mirror cloud effect
Attached Thumbnails
Attitude Studio - New recording studio in Milan / Italy-attitude_p2a_-15fake.jpg  
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

HI SNoggin, these are actual pictures of the completd studio, they look exactly as per our project ;-)
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hi ohmnoise, the mirror are a system we developed for this project, to enhance the illusion of height ho the room, excpecially in contrast with the black ceilings. It also serves to double the apparent height of the wooden truss.
and they are sound absorbing ;-)
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Alessandro,

I found out about your designs online a couple of months ago. They are the most refreshing, slick looking studio designs I’ve seen in a long while. Please post the other builds on here too!

What were dimensions of the original room?
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2A Design View Post
HI SNoggin, these are actual pictures of the completd studio, they look exactly as per our project ;-)

Wow ok then .
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks man! Being architects (with a solid acoustic background) , we always try to design spaces that are comfrotable, stylysh and well designed under every aspect, thus including acoustics, lighting, ergonomy and general look.

i'm preparing the posts for the other studios as well.

As far as attitude dimension's, the rough one are as follow:
control was 4.70x5.6x3.15
recording was 6.8x4.8x3.3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search