The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design

Hello everyone,

I have decided to open this thread, because I know how interesting this stuff is, especially if you are planning or building a studio yourself.

I will post pictures of the process from beginning to end here.

Story:
Several years ago I acquired a property in Vienna.
It came with an old building which was about 70 years old.
The idea was to build there someday a modern house with an extraordinary studio.

After interacting with several studio designers, my choice fell on Wes Lachot.

The planning for the house was made by an architect in Vienna.
During this time I was often in contact with Wes.
We implemented Wes recommendations for the basement which gave him a better starting point.

After about a year, the plans for the house and studio were ready.

Lets see some pictures

- The old house
- New House Graphic
- Old house gone

Next will be some plans
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_23651.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_23621.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-var01.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_1958.jpg  

Last edited by KAZ RECORDING; 26th November 2018 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear

Here we go:
The third plan shows the floor plan as it came from our architect in Vienna.
The large room is almost 100m² (1033 ft²). The dimensions are:
5,85m (19,2ft) x 16,30m (53,5 ft) x 4,15/4,45m (roughly 14 ft)

The first and second plan show what Wes did with it!
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-floor-plan.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-bld-long-section-edit.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-plan.jpg  
Old 28th November 2018
Gear Addict

Crikey that’s a nice basement! I’m guessing it will be a commercial facility?
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
Crikey that’s a nice basement! I’m guessing it will be a commercial facility?
Hey Micoholic,

right, that's the plan
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear

This is how it continues:
Since we have to dig a 5.5 meters (18 ft) deep hole, due to the height of the basement, the earth has to be secured from slipping. The stairs will be only 1,50 m (5 ft) away from the neighboring fence.
For this purpose sheet piles are installed
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2037.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2046.jpg  
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome! Another Wes Lachot build on GS.

Looking forward to this one.

There's seem to be a decent amount of proper studio construction diaries here in the forum, which is great.

Best of luck!
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear

Joao, thank you for your interest. I have just seen your blog. It looks great!

After the sheet piling were installed, we were able to continue.
What follows is a big hole and then pouring a thin layer of concrete.
This is called "Concrete cleanliness layer" in german. Thats at least what google translates :P.
It serves as a even layer for the bitumen seal and thermal insulation under the "real" foundation.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2055.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2060.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2070.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2085.jpg  
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Addict

That's a big hole in the ground! Looking good. People don't generally build basements where I live -- usual construction is either slab-on-grade (common for commercial, and some residential, construction) or crawlspace. The climate is generally mild-to-warm, so we don't have to worry too much about providing a foundation below the frost line. Having masonry crack from expansive clay soil is more of an issue. I do sometimes wish I had a basement (usually when I'm crawling around in the crawlspace!)
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
That's a big hole in the ground! Looking good. People don't generally build basements where I live -- usual construction is either slab-on-grade (common for commercial, and some residential, construction) or crawlspace. The climate is generally mild-to-warm, so we don't have to worry too much about providing a foundation below the frost line. Having masonry crack from expansive clay soil is more of an issue. I do sometimes wish I had a basement (usually when I'm crawling around in the crawlspace!)
Thank you! Yeah basements are quite common here in Austria. Since the frost line is about 1 meter (3ft).
Old 2nd December 2018
Lives for gear
Exciting build, Kaz!
Our frostline is 3', also, here in northwestern lower Michigan. I built a nice set up in a basement ca 2001 and hope to do another one, soon. I miss having the quiet isolated room and being able to have it set up and ready to work whenever!

Michael
Old 10th December 2018
Here for the gear

Next, the 2-layer of bitumen waterproofing (2 x 0,5cm) are flamed onto the concrete layer and the thermal insulation is applied.
On the thermal insulation comes the reinforcement and the concrete slab.
The advantage of having the Bitumen seal under the thermal insulation is, that it keeps the insulation dry and so the insulation values dont get worse over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2088.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2093.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2095.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2098.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2100.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2106.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2110.jpg  
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ RECORDING View Post
... basements are quite common here in Austria.
they are indeed
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

Concrete slab finished
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2115.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2121.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2123.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2131.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2134.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2137.jpg  
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

when did you pour the slab? it's freakin' cold now in Austria.
Old 12th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
when did you pour the slab? it's freakin' cold now in Austria.
Hey the fxs,

you are right, that was already some time ago.
The Basement concrete shell construction is already done. I will post more pictures and details soon.
We will start with the Studio build (inside) in spring 2019.
Old 19th December 2018
Here for the gear

Next, the formwork for the walls are set up. The round holes with the yellow cover are wall penetrations for installations. They are needed for waterproof penetrations.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2141.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2150.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2154.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2155.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2167.jpg  

Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Here are some pictures of the further process.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2207.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2217.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2221.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2223.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2228.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2238.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2245.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2251.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2257.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2019
Here for the gear

finishing the walls and starting the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2271.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2292.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2307.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2318.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2338.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2344.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2349.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2352.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2377.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2379.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2398.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2405.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2407.jpg  
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

Some new pictures and details. The outside stairs are completely decoupled so there are no thermal bridges for best comfort and low heating costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2410.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2416.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2418.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2429.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2434.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2446.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2447.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2333.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2448.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2336.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2347.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2414.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2396.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2457.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2466.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2477.jpg  
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

How are you going to drain the pit at the bottom of the exterior stairs? Having two feet of water rushing in upon opening the door after a rainy day would make quite a mess... I'd imagine it's below ground water level so you'd need to pump it out?

Dutchy
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Hey Dutchy,

that was our main concern and we tried to get a safe solution.

The most important thing is, that a large part of the stair will get a roof.
I also attached a sketch of it.
In addition, there are 2 Rigole which lead directly into its own pumping shaft.
If the pump fails the water will rise under the stairs, but not in the basement itself.
Thats why we also waterproofed the room under the stairs.
In addition, a sensor will notify us in this case.

The first picture shows the room under the stairs after sealing.
The second picture shows the pumping shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2317.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_2511.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-unbenannt.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the elaborate response, very interesting to see, you guys obviously thought it through! That's some serious drainage capacity, if the pump is of similar caliber it should stay nice 'n dry down there

I assume you're also taking care to slope any ground surrounding the stairs away from the pit?

Dutchy
Old 4th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
I assume you're also taking care to slope any ground surrounding the stairs away from the pit?

Dutchy
Yes, we´ll also stay about 10cm under the stairs egde with the ground surrounding the stairs.
Old 5th February 2019
Here for the gear

I made a few pictures with a fisheye lens.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_3003.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_3001.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_3005.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_3008.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_3015.jpg  

Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_3017.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Awesome build! Some serious mass going on!!!

One question. What is the purpose of the sound lock between the CR and the TR? I noticed that the door coming off the lounge isn’t in the sound lock. Just curious.
Old 7th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you!

The soundlock is primarly a result of the control room shape and I think it has no special purpose.
We ll include Mic tie Lines in it, so the sound lock can be also used as a small booth, but since there are real booths with better acoustics, I think it will be rarely used.
Old 7th March 2019
Here for the gear

We ve just got the Kinetics stuff from the US.
So we can start with the floating floors soon.
Currently we are laying down all cables.
For Mic tie lines I ve chosen the Sommer Cable SC Pegasus Multicore.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_4108.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-sommer-cable-sc-pegasus-cmck-08-o-21mm.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_4103.jpg  
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear

Kinetics KIP Isolators
Attached Thumbnails
Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_4111.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_4113.jpg   Kaz Recording, Vienna - Studio Construction Diary, Wes Lachot Design-img_4115.jpg  
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

how much did those KIP pads cost you?
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
how much did those KIP pads cost you?
Its about 7,50 € per KIP Pad + 20% Tax and Customs (1,7%)
and Ive needed 700 pads.

Ive shipped over two Pallets from the US with other stuff (Kinetics KSCH Hangers, Isomax Clips, Guillford fabric)
The shipping for the two Pallets was about 800,- €
If u order just the Pads, your shipping costs will be lower.

For people in Europe it makes more sense ordering the KIP Pads separately instead of the Kinetics Rim because of the shipping costs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search