The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What $10,000 USD can build you
Old 25th September 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

What $10,000 USD can build you

I just finished a small control/mixing room build in my home. Here are a few pics that show the beginning and end of the build. I will post more over the coming days.

In the end, after everything was said and done, the total cost of the build was just under $10k. Some of that cost was recouped after selling excess materials, but not a whole lot. I built everything myself, so no outside construction labor costs. The only outside help I solicited was lumber cutting. That cost was about $500.

Special thank you to John Brandt for the plans and consultation.

jB

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3112.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3139.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3162.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3196.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2262.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-20171211_200833.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2322.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2327.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2997.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3021.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3112.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3139.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3162.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3196.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2262.jpg  

What ,000 USD can build you-20171211_200833.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2322.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2327.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2997.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3021.jpg  


Last edited by jason baliban; 25th September 2018 at 04:29 PM..
Old 25th September 2018
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Looks really great! Well done

Are you able/happy to share any acoustic measurements? I'd be interested to 'see' how it sounds, so to speak.
Old 25th September 2018
  #3
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
Looks really great! Well done

Are you able/happy to share any acoustic measurements? I'd be interested to 'see' how it sounds, so to speak.
Thank you!

Yes, i will share the measurements when i do the final adjustments.

jB
Old 25th September 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 
jakezap's Avatar
 

Nice work.

Was John's fee included in the 10k?
I'm in a similar situation, in that, I want to keep my costs under 10k and judging from the photos, I probably have a similar size room.

Jake
Old 25th September 2018
  #5
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakezap View Post
Nice work.

Was John's fee included in the 10k?
I'm in a similar situation, in that, I want to keep my costs under 10k and judging from the photos, I probably have a similar size room.

Jake
Yes, John's fee is included in that price.

The only two areas that I can think of that can bring that price down would be cut your own wood....I had most of mine cut by a mill. The other would be the ceiling. I chose to use ceiling tiles, but if you use fabric, you could save a couple hundred.

Hope this helps.

jB
Old 25th September 2018
  #6
Here for the gear
 
jakezap's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
Yes, John's fee is included in that price.

The only two areas that I can think of that can bring that price down would be cut your own wood....I had most of mine cut by a mill.

jB
Umm, I'm assuming that you mean cut your own wood (2x4's) with a table/skill saw and such, and NOT, go chop down some trees...
Old 25th September 2018
  #7
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakezap View Post
Umm, I'm assuming that you mean cut your own wood (2x4's) with a table/skill saw and such, and NOT, go chop down some trees...
Yes, your assumption is correct! HA More specifically, a lot of the treatment framing was made from pieces of sheet MDF or plywood....so a lot of ripping.

jB
Old 26th September 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
ciro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
Thank you!

Yes, i will share the measurements when i do the final adjustments.

jB

Congrats, nice work, and John rooms looks lovely , and I bet it sounds superb.! Would be great to see measurements; some acousticians use NDA, not sure if John follows this rule.

Ciro

Last edited by ciro; 26th September 2018 at 03:16 PM..
Old 29th September 2018
  #9
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Here is the final frequency response of the room with and without a sub. I couldnt be more happy about it.

What ,000 USD can build you-rew.jpg

jB
Attached Thumbnails
What ,000 USD can build you-rew.jpg  
Old 29th September 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
Here is the final frequency response of the room with and without a sub. I couldnt be more happy about it.

What ,000 USD can build you-rew.jpg

jB
Awesome work and I'm sure it sounds great in there. Any chance you would share the mdat? I'm curious what the etc and decay spec look like.

Thanks
Old 1st October 2018
  #11
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

One of the first pieces of treatment I had to build was the membrane trap. Here are some pics and two videos of the process.

These were the toughest traps to build. The materials were also relatively expensive and challenging to acquire.





What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2344.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2349.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2350.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2356.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2373.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2377.jpg

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2389.jpg

jB
Attached Thumbnails
What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2344.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2349.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2350.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2356.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2373.jpg  

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2377.jpg   What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_2389.jpg  
Old 1st October 2018
  #12
Gear Addict
 
dcwave's Avatar
 

Looks nice; what are the dimensions of the room?
Old 1st October 2018
  #13
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
Looks nice; what are the dimensions of the room?
144x180x104"
Old 4th October 2018
  #14
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Here is a quick walk through video I did the day I finished the room.



jB
Old 4th October 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Inspiring! Did you build yourself ?
Old 4th October 2018
  #16
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Inspiring! Did you build yourself ?
Thank you. Yes, I did everything myself.

jB
Old 4th October 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Fantastic work sir.

How many hours?

When are you filling it up with kit?
Old 5th October 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
Thanks for sharing videos! I know know I can’t be bothered to attempt to build advanced acoustic stuff myself. I’ll stick to simple frames for insulation and save up for some prebuilt optioms from RPG or similar.
Old 5th October 2018
  #19
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Fantastic work sir.

How many hours?

When are you filling it up with kit?
Thank you. I wish I had a way to guess how many hours. I can say it took about 6 months to complete.

I have moved most of the stuff into the room and I am getting the wiring complete this weekend.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
Thanks for sharing videos! I know know I can’t be bothered to attempt to build advanced acoustic stuff myself. I’ll stick to simple frames for insulation and save up for some prebuilt optioms from RPG or similar.
Yes, it is a lot of work for sure.
Old 6th October 2018
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Fantastic!

What fabric did you use? GOM? What color? Really calming space.
Old 7th October 2018
  #21
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtone View Post
Fantastic!

What fabric did you use? GOM? What color? Really calming space.
Yes GOM. Blue Papier

Thank you!
Old 8th October 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
ciro's Avatar
 

I know the room sound is what matters, but a pity you can´t share measurements (RT60, ETC), would be great.

Ciro
Old 8th October 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Great work! Congrats on the build.
Old 6th January 2019
  #24
Gear Nut
 

Jason, would you mind showing us any photos/video of the floor-to-ceiling corner treatment behind the panels you built?

It looks like it's stuffed with soft fluffy fiberglass, but the plans in your video seem to show only some fiberglass wrapped around vertical waveguides. Are my observations accurate? I'd love to know what you ended up doing!
Old 6th January 2019
  #25
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggsmack View Post
Jason, would you mind showing us any photos/video of the floor-to-ceiling corner treatment behind the panels you built?

It looks like it's stuffed with soft fluffy fiberglass, but the plans in your video seem to show only some fiberglass wrapped around vertical waveguides. Are my observations accurate? I'd love to know what you ended up doing!
I did as the plans indicated. The thing about it is that the insulation should be compressed as little as possible, so when you wrap the guides it really just looks like i stuffed the insulation in there randomly.

I hope this makes sense?

j
Old 6th January 2019
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
I did as the plans indicated. The thing about it is that the insulation should be compressed as little as possible, so when you wrap the guides it really just looks like i stuffed the insulation in there randomly.

I hope this makes sense?

j
So the corners had open space in them? Interesting! What thickness/type of fiberglass did you use? How did you mount it to the boards?

Don't mind me, just researching how to treat the low end in my room...
Old 6th January 2019
  #27
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Mostly done. One day I will build a real desk.

What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3338.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What ,000 USD can build you-ds4_3338.jpg  
Old 6th January 2019
  #28
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggsmack View Post
So the corners had open space in them? Interesting! What thickness/type of fiberglass did you use? How did you mount it to the boards?

Don't mind me, just researching how to treat the low end in my room...
I believe it was R13. I used zip ties. There is probably a better way, as zip ties do compress the insulation.
Old 7th January 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro View Post
I know the room sound is what matters, but a pity you can´t share measurements (RT60, ETC), would be great.

Ciro
+1


What is the distance of mic-speakers for your measurement? Is it with the desk and others furnitures installed?


Did you do some "wave guides"?

Cheers,

J.
Old 8th January 2019
  #30
Gear Addict
 
jason baliban's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
+1


What is the distance of mic-speakers for your measurement? Is it with the desk and others furnitures installed?


Did you do some "wave guides"?

Cheers,

J.
The measurement was done at my sitting position. Most of the furniture was in the room at the time of measurement.

jB
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump