The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What $10,000 USD can build you
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Looks amazing!

Regarding the measurement - the Y axis is huge. Do you have a more suitable version? Relevant info is within 10dB, yet the graph shows 230dB. What octave smoothing also?

Last edited by b0se; 8th January 2019 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear
Why don't you post this pic? This is the answer to my question I found on your fb (link here).

I'd say that, measuring sooooo close, I bet your measurement looks like this!

Maybe this pic is not corresponding to the measurement you posted!
No offense, just so we can understand the non floor bounce etc...
Attached Thumbnails
What ,000 USD can build you-42916037_2123101961055400_205139792814407680_o.jpg  
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Why don't you post this pic? This is the answer to my question I found on your fb (link here).

good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
The measurement was done at my sitting position. Most of the furniture was in the room at the time of measurement.

jB
autsch! - after initial measuring in an empty space (to determine where to go with treatment) measuring is pretty much pointless with not all gear in place and speakers in these positions...

and this big black box is a sub? good if it's firing sideways but by all means, get it closer to the front wall so the woofer is at the same distance from the floor and the front wall!

also watch/adjust x-overs, check/adjust the distance between woofers of top speakers in relation to the x-overs, then measure again...
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post

This pic shows the process of testing and moving the speaker and testing again. The graph shown is the response in the final position, shown in the pic with all the gear.
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
good call!

autsch! - after initial measuring in an empty space (to determine where to go with treatment) measuring is pretty much pointless with not all gear in place and speakers in these positions...

and this big black box is a sub? good if it's firing sideways but by all means, get it closer to the front wall so the woofer is at the same distance from the floor and the front wall!

also watch/adjust x-overs, check/adjust the distance between woofers of top speakers in relation to the x-overs, then measure again...
The measurements where taken with everything but the desk in the room. The sub is/was and after thought, i rarely use it, i use it mostly for my xbox I'd like to move it closer to the front wall but that is as close as im getting. I adjusted the crossover using the REW.

jB
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The measurements where taken with everything but the desk in the room. The sub is/was and after thought, i rarely use it, i use it mostly for my xbox I'd like to move it closer to the front wall but that is as close as im getting. I adjusted the crossover using the REW.

jB
you possibly still get some reflections from the desk (i sometimes even use a dummy at the listening position when measuring)...

regarding the sub: one can never have enough bass :-)

dunno much about rew as i'm mostly using different gear to measure/adjust: does rew allow for asymmetrical crossovers? give it a try - good luck and i hope you'll get your speakers to sound as good as your room looks!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 9th January 2019 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 6th February 2019
This is great! I’m looking to build for around the same budget. Sadly my room is an upstairs so a lot more issues.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Maniac
amazing
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here is the final frequency response of the room with and without a sub. I couldnt be more happy about it.

jB
Hard to see from the scale, but that looks like you're within a 10dB window at what I'd guess is 1/3 octave smoothing?

Great result and good looking room too
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Very nice!
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
Hard to see from the scale, but that looks like you're within a 10dB window at what I'd guess is 1/3 octave smoothing?

Great result and good looking room too
The smoothing was aggressive, but i dont recall what it was. The room is certainly on the smallest size for acceptable, so it has some probs. Overall, its in my house, it sounds and feels great and my clients love it.

Thanks

jB
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

So impressive... I about shot myself in the brainstorm six or seven times getting my little space to my liking... interestingly, I think I probably spent more money, yours looks infinitely better and your curve sure looks flatter than mine

Cheers.

(A jealous “cheers”)
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The smoothing was aggressive, but i dont recall what it was. The room is certainly on the smallest size for acceptable, so it has some probs. Overall, its in my house, it sounds and feels great and my clients love it.
Ditto my own room. Small and certainly with issues, but it has the convenience of being at home and gives me a sanctuary from my day job (I'm not a music professional).

Just to ask... I assume you must have taken some acoustic measurements of the room once it was finished. If so, are you willing/able to share a copy of the file? (whether in .mdat or another format). Or perhaps some other measurement plots? (waterfall and ETC especially).

The reason I’m asking isn’t about ‘proving’ how good your room is - I have no doubt that it’s great! It’s because measurements of well-built rooms like yours are super useful in helping other DIY’ers better understand how different designs/treatments work in practice. And we can only understand that through analysis of the measurement results.

For example, here’s a shot of my own room using the same scale as your measurement above. Looks great, but doesn’t say much about how it really sounds.

What ,000 USD can build you-room.jpg

PS - for transparency, some info on my own efforts can be found here:

Where I started out:
Big frequency dip in treated room - what are my options?

Where I ended up:
Room correction software (DSP) - optimising results for small rooms
Attached Thumbnails
What ,000 USD can build you-room.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search