The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new recording studio construction diary
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear
new recording studio construction diary

Hi all, new to the forum.

I've been working as a composer, recording artist, producer professionaly for the last 9 years. (audiogijs | Official site) After moving from my bedroom studio to my first outdoor studio (my current location) I quickly outgrew my current studio.

My current studio is a simple construction inside an office building. It measures around 20 m2 with a ceiling of 2,4 mtr. Nice 'n cosy, but not the most ideal location for recording bands or nice acoustic instruments

I got the chance to rent a new place. Funny enough, someone allready built two big rehearsal/studio rooms there. both spaces are around 32 m2 with a ceiling of 3 mtr. The construction itself is located within a big factory hall, not attached to the walls or ceilings, on a concrete floor.

So I'm going to have to fix everything and sort of rebuild the construction. Its a big job with lots of issues. For example, the construction consists of a double wall with the outer wall filled with sand and the inner wall a rockwoll and drywall. The ceiling is drywall - rockwool - 3 layers of wooden plate and sand on top. Besides that, the place is a mess and has been abused by a lot of people.

I'll try to keep this post updated, since I allways forget to make pictures. Below are a couple of pics from my current studio.

cheerz!
Attached Thumbnails
new recording studio construction diary-img_4180.jpg   new recording studio construction diary-img_4179.jpg  
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear
So, here are some pics of my "new" place. This is actually the way we found it. It looks kinda scary and messy and above all junky.

So, its a construction within a larger building build on a concrete floor. I think the original builders had some rough ideas of how to soundproof, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to find out the hard way wether they went all the way.

(spoilers: they didnt, but i'll save that for later)

What you see is the three entrances to the three spaces. Two bigger ones (32 m2) and one smaller one (14 m2). A friend of mine is going to rent the small space so we can both remodel and use one of the bigger spaces as a live-room.

The other pictures show the deplorable state in wich we found the rooms. Someone had actually been sleeping in there!
Attached Thumbnails
new recording studio construction diary-a8b129ad-c18c-492c-8fa2-2ad2fedcac6f.jpg   new recording studio construction diary-719_1440.jpg   new recording studio construction diary-3ae6f3cd-6697-4008-9f3c-de36d8d8d5e3.jpg  
Old 17th September 2018
Here for the gear
So, next step is to empty the place and get a good view of what I actually got.

In terms of space, the place is more then big enough. 1 room will be my main playroom. Since most of my work consists of producing music for commercials, documentarys and sorts. Some voiceover recording. I want to have all my instruments nearby my desk so I'm able to grab anything when I need it.

The other room will function as a recording and rehearsel space. Recording is something that I really love to do and want to develop more. With a floorspace of 32 m2 and a ceiling of 3 m high I think this will be quite allright. I'm planning to expand the roof of the recordingroom into a slanted roof instead of the flat one. This way I think I'm able to get a ceiling of 4 m high, not bad I think. But I'll save that proces for a different moment.

For now, these are the pictures of the cleared out space. So far I'm pretty excited, one picture of my main room and two pictures of the space outside the 3 rooms.

You can clearly see that the last occupants had fun ripping all of the plasterboard. They removed the airco, had awfull, smelly carpet on the floor. I removed everthing except for the wooden floor beneath the carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
new recording studio construction diary-40092795_1031991603642750_3002809948158558208_n.jpg   new recording studio construction diary-14332d78-9f32-4a31-81c0-d83093a5c5dc.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search