The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boxtone Music: A multi-use single room
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Boxtone Music: A multi-use single room

It's been ten years of waiting for this, but I've finally moved to a space that will allow me to setup my production/mixing/mastering suite.

The multi purpose nature of the room is the result of my career as a musical director, television composer, producer, and engineer.

The room, 17.5' x 17' x 10', is in a prewar residential building; the boundaries are heavy and thick (they built things better then!). The reality of these dimensions, the boundaries, and the nature of the building leads to significant limitations in what can be achieved.

I'm currently in the design and measurement phase. Measurements will be completed this week, and the first measurements will influence my ultimate design decision. The build will be modular in nature, and is purely an acoustics build, not an isolation or dimensions build.

As for the design, attached are two options.

The first is in the JH Brandt/Sayers/Hybrid RFZ mold. The burgundy walls are broadband porous absorbers. The light yellow are reflective/diffusive surfaces, which will feature a combination of air-transparent diffusion and slat absorbers.

The second takes its cues from the My Room Acoustic model, courtesy of Boggy. In this scenario, the red panels are range limited porous absorbers, and the yellow are air-transparent diffusion, from 1khz up.

These two designs almost seem to be a yin and yang, but they both achieve the result of low end control, even decay times, while keeping "life" in the room. I'm partial to the Boggy concept, but I feel the Brandt version may be more achievable.

One thing that throws a wrench in either design is the front wall features two large nearly floor to ceiling windows. I actually love the natural light, and intend to keep them in the design, but this will present some challenges.

More to come soon.....
Attached Thumbnails
Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-boxtone-room-1.jpeg   Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-boxtone-room-2.jpeg  
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Here's an updated design. Contemplating VPRs for the pressure absorbers.

The Difsorbers are open air QRD7s, and will be aligned vertical/horizontal based on Boggy's MLS sequence.

Broadband absorbers are 11-15" deep fluffy 5k rayls.

The skyline PRDs are lossy, and meant to react with the occupant, not the speakers (Tyler MM5x).
Attached Thumbnails
Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-boxtone-room-3.jpeg  
Old 28th August 2018
SRS
Lives for gear

Full disclosure. I'm not an acoustical designer, but I did design and build my studio from the ground up recently and it is both acoustically and aesthetically fantastic. I like your most recent incarnation. It keeps the symmetry that is vitally important for acoustic balance in a control room. I assume your drawing is just off a bit in the front of the room because the monitors and absorbers are not symmetrical there. But looks pretty nice with the given dimensions you have.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Some photos of the portable, modular frames (kallax from ikea), and a compressed MLS sequence skyline diffuser using boggy’s and jh brandts contributions.

Im looking into getting a material here in the states called “Nu Foam”, which isnt a foam at all but a compressed polyester batting. Looks identical to caruso isobond.
Attached Thumbnails
Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-868c17b8-d893-4c6f-9449-3d2d9cab71ad.jpg   Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-5fb4befc-ccf0-4629-b7f2-feb45b0be161.jpg   Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-d534a773-73dc-4280-b71c-8191782082af.jpg   Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-4bc79d3e-e346-4038-bd79-10a7644fde7e.jpg  

Last edited by Boxtone; 22nd September 2018 at 07:07 AM..
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Air transparent diffusers using a compressed MLS sequence.
Attached Thumbnails
Boxtone Music:  A multi-use single room-a8eb781a-ef3f-4d83-8fb4-f497b712d474.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search