The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Yeah my thread is a couple threads down. New studio in Sausalito. This is a good way to document things for me as I’m not much of a picture taker otherwise lol
Nice! Just checked it out; looks amazing! Wow!

I lived out in the bay area for 4 years (moved back to NJ about a year ago) and if I could have done this build in Walnut Creek where we lived...ho boy! Would have cost me a gazillion dollars though.

But alas. Look, Sausalito is nice and all, but perfect, idyllic weather *all the time?* Major hub of music and recording history? Breathtaking views? Amazing food?Some of the best recording talent in the world right in your backyard??? NO THANKS. I'll stick with the...freezing cold and worrying about things like 'will my mini-split actually stop heating because it's -15F outside?'
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hedback View Post
Paul meet Tim...Tim meet Paul. You are both greatly appreciated client's and super people! Carry on with the great work guys!!
Nice! Small world!

Couldn't do this without ya, Jeff. Especially when I mess things up and you have to quick-like come up with a solution to fix it!!

Honestly can't recommend Jeff enough for the casual lurkers in this or Tim's thread who are considering a build!!
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear

Jeff has been great all the way through! Even when I had to keep telling him”Well I’m getting to the studio soon”. Had to finish all the major structure and income units above before I could start the real studio work.
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Jeff has been great all the way through! Even when I had to keep telling him”Well I’m getting to the studio soon”. Had to finish all the major structure and income units above before I could start the real studio work.
Same! It was almost a year from first speaking to him until we actually started making progress on the studio. We had to build the main house first, etc.

Meanwhile, acoustical panels framing!

Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
Got some much-needed safety features in the loft today: railings!

Eventually the loft / rest of the barn will get insulation in the walls / ceilings + sheetrock + T&G pine wood paneling. For now, we're focused on finishing the control room + booth and I can track drums (mostly me playing anyway) in the big unfinished room. It sounds fantastic by itself due to all that wood, angles, high ceilings, etc. Contractor wants to put insulation in since it's relatively cheap, but I'm more concerned about losing the wood vibe and would rather wait till I can finish it all with wood paneling. I figure a Franklin stove + separate mini split system would heat / cool that area pretty well once it's all done.

Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear
Paint and string lights in the live room

Next week we mount the acoustical panel frames to the walls and stuff with insulation, floors & finishes after the new year.
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear
And in case anyone's wondering what that room sounds like, I did a quick sample with a couple STAM Audio SA-67s (U67s clones) downstairs and a snare drum up in the loft close mic'd with an SM57. All into CAPI pres and then UA Apollo. I have a Mara Machines MCI JH24 just waiting to track drums though, I can only imagine what that's gonna sound like!

Dropbox - Barn Snare Test middle of loft.wav
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

This

I am going to PM you my details. I live in NJ and have exactly this in mind over the next 5 years. Would love to know who you used etc.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook View Post
Nice! Just checked it out; looks amazing! Wow!

I lived out in the bay area for 4 years (moved back to NJ about a year ago) and if I could have done this build in Walnut Creek where we lived...ho boy! Would have cost me a gazillion dollars though.

But alas. Look, Sausalito is nice and all, but perfect, idyllic weather *all the time?* Major hub of music and recording history? Breathtaking views? Amazing food?Some of the best recording talent in the world right in your backyard??? NO THANKS. I'll stick with the...freezing cold and worrying about things like 'will my mini-split actually stop heating because it's -15F outside?'
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear
Panels coming along. Would be done today, but for reasons eluding me, the crew insisted on installing (screwing & gluing) the OC705 2" rigid foam on to the sheetrock. Saw one of the cloud panels about 1/2 done that way and told them it's backwards; please put the batts down *first* and then the OC705. Two hours later, more was done like this. At that point I just did it with them for a bit until they got it. Bout 2/3 of a day wasted and luckily the glue hadn't dried yet so they were able to salvage the OC705.

Old 28th December 2018
Gear Maniac

roof framing

Interesting roof framing. I haven;t seen such a system before. Usually you see a ridge pole with rafters nailed to that and resting on top plates of front and back walls. Would be interested in hearing the theory behind this where microlams are attached to the wall framing and rafters attached to them. Thanks
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysjo View Post
Interesting roof framing. I haven;t seen such a system before. Usually you see a ridge pole with rafters nailed to that and resting on top plates of front and back walls. Would be interested in hearing the theory behind this where microlams are attached to the wall framing and rafters attached to them. Thanks
You'd have to ask the folks at BarnPros (Wood Barn Kits for Horses, RVs, Boats - Barn Pros) about that! They sell these barns as kits that are somewhat configurable (e.g. I removed a section of the loft and removed a support post / replaced it with a glulam beam so there wouldn't be a post in my control room).
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear
We have floors!

And making progress on fabric-ing the panels..some cutting left to do. Since the panels are flush to the wall, there's no way to 'wrap' these panels the traditional way. So I'm stapling as close to the ceiling/wall joints as I can and will cover up with some kind of trim when I'm done. Perhaps quarter round, painted the color of the wall? Open to suggestions!

Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have floors!

And making progress on fabric-ing the panels..some cutting left to do. Since the panels are flush to the wall, there's no way to 'wrap' these panels the traditional way. So I'm stapling as close to the ceiling/wall joints as I can and will cover up with some kind of trim when I'm done. Perhaps quarter round, painted the color of the wall? Open to suggestions!

The way I came up with was I used 1x4 or 1x6 for the frames to keep it light and installed the fabric and pulled it tight on the floor Seemed easiest and cleanest and came out pretty well
Even the ceiling cloud
Attached Thumbnails
The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-9ddd7660-18b8-47c2-be79-908cb4729757.jpg   The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-2e258329-c647-4130-aada-b21a26e87b87.jpg   The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-bc83cffb-4299-4576-95bc-a2845484e22e.jpg  
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Here’s a pic of a wall

Wish I could rotate pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-cf27f72d-7771-44bf-aebf-bf2756154d60.jpg   The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-4c1ba138-6641-4cd4-bec1-1cc13304513e.jpg  
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The way I came up with was I used 1x4 or 1x6 for the frames to keep it light and installed the fabric and pulled it tight on the floor Seemed easiest and cleanest and came out pretty well
Even the ceiling cloud
lol too late for me since they're already mounted to the walls/ceiling so trim's my only option! I did a pretty good job getting it as clean as possible though, so I think some simple quarter round is going to do the trick.

Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol too late for me since they're already mounted to the walls/ceiling so trim's my only option! I did a pretty good job getting it as clean as possible though, so I think some simple quarter round is going to do the trick.

I’m sure it will come out great! Lots of ways to skin a cat as they say
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,

I looked at the Barnpros website and they have nice stuff, but very expensive, it seems to me. I wonder if they work in Florida?

I've been talking to Tuffsheds. They come out and put the thing together.

Did they just deliver a kit to you, or did they actually assemble the shell?

I wonder how is it that you are using the loft? Is it the ceiling for the control room or something else? I'm thinking of one big space, so I figured I would not have the loft option.

looks like yours is coming along nicely.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Hi,

I looked at the Barnpros website and they have nice stuff, but very expensive, it seems to me. I wonder if they work in Florida?

I've been talking to Tuffsheds. They come out and put the thing together.

Did they just deliver a kit to you, or did they actually assemble the shell?

I wonder how is it that you are using the loft? Is it the ceiling for the control room or something else? I'm thinking of one big space, so I figured I would not have the loft option.

looks like yours is coming along nicely.

cheers,

audioforce
They ship anywhere in the US (I'm in NJ; they shipped from their HQ in Washington State I believe). As for price, I don't know how competitive it is with Florida building materials costs, but it certainly was competitive with NJ costs. They don't assemble the kits; all they do is ship you the materials and provide the necessary construction documentation to get permits with your town.

The loft is 'part' of the live room the way I'm using it. Drums are set up in the loft, room mics down in the 1st floor portion of the live room. Starting deck height on the 1st floor is 12', then taken down quite a bit for framing out the control room. The control room ceiling doesn't touch the loft; there's about 1" of daylight between them. Hope this helps!
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear
Still trim/finishing work to do, 1/2" lam glass to install, but that's no reason to delay moving in and decorating a bit!

Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

Ooh, Chilton - nice! I want a pretty little mixer for my place when it’s done!
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
Ooh, Chilton - nice! I want a pretty little mixer for my place when it’s done!
Yeah the Chilton CM-2 is a cool little console that's been in 'the family' for going on 20 years. We had it at the studio I worked at (Rosebud Studios, home of the first Fall Out Boy record among other things) and it's changed hands among us ex-Rosebud engineers a few times before ending up here. It's got character, that's for sure. Great mic pres with lots of iron, decent EQs, and wonderful distortion if driven hard for summing.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear
Window glass coming...soon. Yesterday they cased it out, but the glass itself is a special order item and apparently got held up over the holidays. Ah well.

Meanwhile I'm done with all my wall penetrations. Two snakes -- 1 24ch + 4 returns for the live room, 1 16ch + 4 returns for the booth (the loft will have its own snake that will simply input into the live room snake; ain't nobody got time for 3 full snakes on the patchbay when they'd never get used all at once). I initially had a snazzy XLR wall panel that was going to go on the outside wall of the control room in the live room, but I find snakes so much more managable at this late stage in construction. As I was testing the XLR wall panel, I was noticing just how fragile those solder points were, how the 2' cable between the two sides of the panel (inside male, outside female) would have to be coiled up in the custom frame we'd have to build to mount them to the wall, and how the carpenters would have to hack up my nice wall to slide it through. So much to go wrong when I can just take a hole saw bit and slide through a snake whip myself, stuff OC705 around it, replace the drywall plug that the hole saw neatly removed, and have the guys do their best spackle and sealant job. Observe:

This

vs.

this

Also did an initial round of sweeps to see how the room is performing! More to come on that, but so far we're doing awesome and are within +/- 5dB across the whole spectrum with some further gains to be had when the studio glass is in. The speaker placement / mix position in the pic a couple posts ago was way off (too close to the wall) so I pulled everything toward the center by a couple feet. Huge difference. Lesson: Pay attention to the plans!! Also: playing around in Room EQ Wizard is fun.
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Addict

Wrap up notes

Hey Paul,

It has been great working with you. I feel all the carefully made design choices to steer this into your budget range have been well thought out and on point.

Attached are some graphs from the mix position with your Mackie 2:1 speaker system.
- The freq response is shown from 20Hz to 800Hz and has both the 1-24th and 1-3rd octave smoothing curves (overlay). The issue at ~ 65Hz is part speaker and part room but per your reports is allowing solid work. On down the road we'll see how other speakers perform...thanks for your precision on following my testing plans
- a LF Burst Decay showing why the LF portion of the response is working for you
- a T30 decay time of the full system.

I look forward to hearing tons of great music from you in the months and years ahead. Again, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-paul-k_mix-position_overlay.jpg   The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-paul-k-burst-decay-lf.jpg   The Jook's pastoral NJ barn studio build-paul-k-full-system-t30.png  
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hedback View Post
Hey Paul,

It has been great working with you. I feel all the carefully made design choices to steer this into your budget range have been well thought out and on point.

Attached are some graphs from the mix position with your Mackie 2:1 speaker system.
- The freq response is shown from 20Hz to 800Hz and has both the 1-24th and 1-3rd octave smoothing curves (overlay). The issue at ~ 65Hz is part speaker and part room but per your reports is allowing solid work. On down the road we'll see how other speakers perform...thanks for your precision on following my testing plans
- a LF Burst Decay showing why the LF portion of the response is working for you
- a T30 decay time of the full system.

I look forward to hearing tons of great music from you in the months and years ahead. Again, thanks!
It was an absolute pleasure Jeff! It's a killer room and I'd recommend to anybody here to work with you on their build. Can't wait to tackle the rest of the barn / live room in the coming years with ya!
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear
P.S. more pics to come when I finish the trim work and paint
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear
So I didn't finish trim & paint. BUT, I've been enjoying this place nonstop since my last post so it's time to post some pics whether the place is finished or not! Pics 1,3 and 4 courtesy of @ fadeout _foto https://www.instagram.com/fadeout_foto/?hl=en

Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

awesome setup! Congratulations.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
awesome setup! Congratulations.
Thanks!! It's a dream to work in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search