The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Archive Mastering - a Northward FTB build recap
Old 5th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Great stuff, looks amazing!

Enjoy!
Thanks Darius! It was actually your build thread way back that put Thomas on my radar.

Best,

- J.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Nice!

A question: a lot of Thomas' clients go for the ATC110, but i see you chose the 150, is there any particular reason for that? (considering the price is very similar)? Space, or taste, or.........? ......... just curious!
Old 6th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
A question: a lot of Thomas' clients go for the ATC110, but i see you chose the 150, is there any particular reason for that? (considering the price is very similar)? Space, or taste, or.........? ......... just curious!
I already owned the 150s and had been using them for a few years in my previous room, liked them a lot, so just went with them.

They have the new ATC tweeters and new square edge baffles for flush mounting.

I thought they sounded great in my previous room, but they sound unbelievably good in here!

Best,

- J.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Nice, i understand, thanks for the info!
Old 13th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
Thanks Darius! It was actually your build thread way back that put Thomas on my radar.

Best,

- J.
haha! me too!
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Amazing!
May I ask two questions?
1. all around the room, Is it some kind of white cloth that covered all the rockwool?
2. are the ATC150s totally suspended by the metal rods? any direct contact with the glass?
Thanks!
Old 31st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB117 View Post
Amazing!
May I ask two questions?
1. all around the room, Is it some kind of white cloth that covered all the rockwool?
2. are the ATC150s totally suspended by the metal rods? any direct contact with the glass?
Thanks!
Yes, all the white surfaces are fabric.

The ATCs sit inside a decoupling system suspended by the metal cables. So the outer frame of the system mounts through the glass, but the speakers themselves are completely decoupled from the room.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
Yes, all the white surfaces are fabric.

The ATCs sit inside a decoupling system suspended by the metal cables. So the outer frame of the system mounts through the glass, but the speakers themselves are completely decoupled from the room.
Thanks man.
I never know it could be done with glass! Really nice!
Old 31st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB117 View Post
Thanks man.
I never know it could be done with glass! Really nice!
Thanks! Like everything in acoustics and studio design the devil is in the details, and it takes real engineering to pull this off. All credit goes to Thomas Jouanjean / Northward Acoustics!

Best,

- J.
Old 23rd November 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Great looking room. Any measurements to share?
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Stunning!
Old 20th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Stunning!
Thank you! Two years in now and I'm still thrilled every day when I walk in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Archive Mastering - a Northward FTB build recap-img_7335.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can’t find anything about those doors, they look pretty heavy built ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
Can’t find anything about those doors, they look pretty heavy built ?
https://quietstar.co.uk/blog/acousti...ive-mastering/
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Grand mercie!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sorry to bring this up with an older build, but do you mind sharing how you got that great, seamed look on the fabric walls? I'm used to seeing wooden slats to cover the staples.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggsmack View Post
Sorry to bring this up with an older build, but do you mind sharing how you got that great, seamed look on the fabric walls? I'm used to seeing wooden slats to cover the staples.
Thanks! The seamed look is achieved by using thin strips of plywood behind the fabric at each seam.

The edge of the fabric is attached to the wall along the seam in reverse, the strip is tacked to the wall tight along the desired seam, then the fabric is folder back over the strip to create a tight, straight seamed look.

It takes a bit of planning to map out the room in advance. There will still inevitably be spots where the staples must be covered by trim (especially along the wall / ceiling seam), but with careful planning those spots can be minimized.

The other option is to use a track system like FabriTRAK. I may try that in the future when the current fabric eventually gets worn and needs replacing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search