The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Studio Desk
Old 23rd January 2018
  #1
DIY Studio Desk

Just thought I would throw up some photographs of the studio desk I put together over the holiday break. It includes an angled 5RU rack space, plus a vertical 2RU rack space per side, with enough space to fit a pair of 24" monitors on top and a cheese grater Mac Pro tucked in between the feet.

Next up is a coat of white gloss paint (girlfriend's orders... ) and a nice grey fabric baffle that will hide the computer and cabling under the desk.

Super comfy! And rather compact - only 1.25m x 0.8m x 0.95m in size.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Studio Desk-img_3299.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2018
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Very nice work, if the studio dont work for you it looks like you have a good trade to fall back on.
Old 31st January 2018
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pquinn View Post
Very nice work, if the studio dont work for you it looks like you have a good trade to fall back on.

Thanks!

The actual MDF curvy shapes were cut via a bunch of nice chaps with a CNC router, so I can't claim that it is all my handy work. If anyone wants the .eps file for the shapes, just drop me a PM! You will have to measure and cut any piece of timber that runs the longest length of the desk... but that means you can make it as big as you like (ie, 3 bays of rack space, etc).
Old 31st January 2018
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Stellar work! Looks very strong -- but yet, not bulky -- if that makes sense. I don't know what specific paint system you intend to use but personally, I'd avoid the water-based "universal" primers. I had bad luck trying to use one of those on some birch plywood: even brushing as thinly as possible, the water in the primer caused the surface of the wood to "check" all over, which telegraphed through the primer itself in time. When I redid the thing, I used a shellac-based primer, and it wet-sanded smooth as glass with 400-grit sandpaper on a flexible block.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Fergies Watch's Avatar
Nice! I like it

How much did it cost you to build?
Old 4th February 2018
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Watch View Post
Nice! I like it

How much did it cost you to build?

All up about $440AUD. That is including all the wood, screws, glue, wood filler, sanding pads, primer, paint, some nice grey fabric... The rack rails I already had.
Old 5th February 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
A pal of mine just bought one almost as nice for a couple grand usd.... so time is definitely money and skill/handiness is too! LOL
Nice!
Michael
Old 5th February 2018
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Fergies Watch's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
All up about $440AUD. That is including all the wood, screws, glue, wood filler, sanding pads, primer, paint, some nice grey fabric... The rack rails I already had.
That’s awesome!

I need to build one for the new studio so I need to find a good joiner who will do it on the cheap!
Old 10th July 2020
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
Just thought I would throw up some photographs of the studio desk I put together over the holiday break. It includes an angled 5RU rack space, plus a vertical 2RU rack space per side, with enough space to fit a pair of 24" monitors on top and a cheese grater Mac Pro tucked in between the feet.

Next up is a coat of white gloss paint (girlfriend's orders... ) and a nice grey fabric baffle that will hide the computer and cabling under the desk.

Super comfy! And rather compact - only 1.25m x 0.8m x 0.95m in size.
I know we're not supposed to revive ancient threads here but I just gotta give props to @ LDStudios - this desk is outstanding! I'd love to see some more angles to see how it's constructed!
Old 11th July 2020
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet View Post
I know we're not supposed to revive ancient threads here but I just gotta give props to @ LDStudios - this desk is outstanding! I'd love to see some more angles to see how it's constructed!

Thanks! Photos at more angles are a little tricky given the 3m x 3.5m room dimensions, and the natural light certainly doesn't aid my lack of photography skills (it's great for the sanity though).

A whole bunch has changed over the last two years. I added a little prototype drawer that neatly tucks my Roli Seaboard away. I also moved to 7.1 monitoring early last year, which is a bit tricky with the desk design. I'll probably design and built something a bit more accomodating of the centre channel speaker and dual monitors, as well as a S3 + Dock setup in the coming months (any Sydney-siders want to buy this desk??).

I have hugely neglected the bunch of requests for the CAD files. Sorry! The .dwg drawing is linked below. You should be able to open it in illustrator.

A few things to keep in mind - the cutouts for the cross pieces that join all of the legs together are based on easily obtainable pine timber here in Australia. You may want to tinker with the sizes to better match stuff you can source locally. You could CNC everything you need if you really wanted to.

The cutouts look like figure 8s too, as they need to take into consideration the 6.35mm diameter CNC tool used during cutting. Consult your CNC'er. If you stick with perfect right angles, you will spend a lot of time filing out a 6.35mm diameter curve to a right angle to fit your timbers in.

The last caveat is - it fits through a standard width doorway just fine, but you need to flip it on its end (it glides through on a dolly pretty easily). You might need to depart from my design with the 96mm worth of MDF in the centre, if you want to make one that is 3 bays wide that still fits through a standard doorway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zw6w5h7pps...20CNC.dwg?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Studio Desk-img_5245.jpg  
Old 11th July 2020
  #11
And compared to how it looked closer to my original intentions when I first moved it into the room and set everything up.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Studio Desk-img_4232.jpg  
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 110 views: 22262
Avatar for caronte23
caronte23 31st December 2015
replies: 959 views: 68298
Avatar for string6theory
string6theory 5 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump