The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio! Studio Monitors
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

A little off-topic but can I ask: what is your side snare, and do you have any stability problems with it being so far from the centre of gravity of the hi-hat stand?
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
A little off-topic but can I ask: what is your side snare, and do you have any stability problems with it being so far from the centre of gravity of the hi-hat stand?

No worries. Everything is on topic in this thread! Lol. That is actually a mini-timbale. No issues with stability. Only weighs about 2lbs. It only gets Un-muted when it’s struck. I can’t hear any rattling or rumbling affect on the hats so I leave it attached. I’d probably take it off if there is a guest drummer using the house kit though.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 5th May 2018 at 07:18 PM..
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

The room sounds great.

Thought about rounded wall diffusers? Not that you'll need them. But that final tuning can carry on for months / years.
And that's a big room!
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
The room sounds great.

Thought about rounded wall diffusers? Not that you'll need them. But that final tuning can carry on for months / years.
And that's a big room!

Thanks Salty! Yeah I'm still fine tuning the treatment. Had a buddy come and shoot the room a couple weeks ago. I learned a lot. All in all, no big issues or surprises thank goodness. I just need to adjust. I'm listening to a lot of reference material to get accustomed to the room before I do anything critical each day.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

My buddy came thru today and took some professional photos of the space. Here are a few he sent me.

P.S. Been working a few productions the past couple weeks but I'm finally ready to take bookings now.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-7.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-8.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-studio-9.jpg  
Old 26th May 2018
That looks awesome! Great photos too. Congratulations on the build and the results. What a great place to make music in
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear
Superb! Congratulations! and best of luck with your studio future!
Michael
Old 5th June 2018
Here for the gear

Looks incredible! Congrats with the build.
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear

Smile Funny Cat you’re living my dream. I have hopes of converting a space like that one day. I’m curious to know how you like having your console in the same room being as the room is so big? I’m all in the same room out of necessity but I’ve often wondered if in moving to a more traditional control room/live room setup I might sort of miss the intimacy. On the other hand if the one room is so large that you’re 30 feet from whatever you’re recording anyway, what’s a wall and a door in between. Did you consider two rooms? Just curious to hear some of your thinking behind the decision making.

Oh wait unless that’s why you wanted your wife’s art studio to be in the smaller space. Makes more sense to convert that into a control room later.
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
Smile Funny Cat you’re living my dream. I have hopes of converting a space like that one day. I’m curious to know how you like having your console in the same room being as the room is so big? I’m all in the same room out of necessity but I’ve often wondered if in moving to a more traditional control room/live room setup I might sort of miss the intimacy. On the other hand if the one room is so large that you’re 30 feet from whatever you’re recording anyway, what’s a wall and a door in between. Did you consider two rooms? Just curious to hear some of your thinking behind the decision making.

Oh wait unless that’s why you wanted your wife’s art studio to be in the smaller space. Makes more sense to convert that into a control room later.

Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words and YES on the wifey comment. ;0) Heh!

Yeah it’s taking some getting used to... the mixing in a less intimate space part since I’ve been mixing in small “hyper” treated and almost completely dead control rooms most my life but I’m slowly adjusting. I’m actually starting to think about it less and less as I work. It just feels real good in here, especially once I get the lights dimmed and the incense going, lol.

The mixing area is actually quite dead and the back half of the room still has a little life. Reverb time is really good. Everyone who’s come in so far is quite impressed at how tight the room sounds.

I mostly decided to keep it open bc I like the communication aspect when everyone is in the same relative space. I also didn’t build a dedicated control room bc It was less work for me (I did about 90% of the build myself and started getting exhausted!) and I saved a little on the construction end. I’ve done a couple test sessions and it’s working out great so far! Especially the communication part. :0)
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

Glad it’s working for you. It does eliminate a number of logistical issues being in the same room like that. And it’s cool that you were able to do so much of it yourself. I’ve never been quite so handy which worries me a bit bc I have dealt with contractors and I’m not sure which is the lesser of two evils lol.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
Glad it’s working for you. It does eliminate a number of logistical issues being in the same room like that. And it’s cool that you were able to do so much of it yourself. I’ve never been quite so handy which worries me a bit bc I have dealt with contractors and I’m not sure which is the lesser of two evils lol.

Just DO IT! If you screw up...THEN you call in the contractor.
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Amazing space.
Very curious to hear some sounds.

Give us some material!
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Addict

Wow !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search