The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Populating the Racks!

OK guys and gals. Now we get to the juicy stuff. :0) I started populating the racks with some of my gear. There are a few empty spaces because I just got hired to do a couple of productions and a mix so I still need some of my gear for that. It's in my spare bedroom turned writing room.

For now, I just connected my old backup Mac so I can test all the inputs and outputs on the patch-bey. I still need my main monitors and main PC for the productions I'm starting next week.

Below there is also a picture of the rear as I was wiring for those of you who like doing that kind of stuff (not me though) heh! I also installed the patch panel in the ISO and put a throw rug down.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gear-rack-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gear-rack-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gear-rack-4-rear.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gear-rack-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gear-rack-7.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gear-rack-8-above.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-booth-patch-panel.jpg  
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Speaker Riser

I had to build a DIY speaker riser to get my secondary monitors a little higher since their stands are farther back behind the desk. I used those u-channel rubber feet to "float" the wood as you can see in the pic. Had to cut them to an "L" shape but that was easy with a utility knife. The speakers in the pics above are already sitting on these risers by the way.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-speaker-stand-riser-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-speaker-stand-riser-2.jpg  
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
The closer you get to completion (is there such a place? LOL), the more every little detail gets magnified.
You'll probably be surprised at how well you've planned and chosen, for the most part and you'll get to learn
from the areas that need attention.
You're well on the way to a fabulous time basking in your new studio!
Michael

Man, that is reassuring!
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Thank you for the kind words Animesh! I'm slowly trying to "creep" into the mid/high end spaces category, lol. Regarding some of the kit...see the pics below this post.
Ah wow - yes my friend, things are shaping up nicely. I think a lesser man might well puke with envy

It's such a shame here in the UK space is at such a premium. I was able to build a home studio as part of a home extension project - more so a 2 room mix/control room and live space - but in comparison to your cavernous beauty it's positively modest!

I can't wait for you to track drums in there, I bet the room mics will sound insane
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh Raval View Post
Ah wow - yes my friend, things are shaping up nicely. I think a lesser man might well puke with envy

Man oh man....you have no idea. I happen to have a lot of engineer buddies (outside of GS, lol) who I often talk with. Some of them have really nice studios which earn a lot of money. Every time one of my buddies sends me a pic of his new Flea or Neumann or rack of BAE pres etc. I turn a little green. So believe me, I've done my fair share of "puking with envy" over the years.

Quote:
It's such a shame here in the UK space is at such a premium. I was able to build a home studio as part of a home extension project - more so a 2 room mix/control room and live space - but in comparison to your cavernous beauty it's positively modest!

I can't wait for you to track drums in there, I bet the room mics will sound insane
I understand. I had my first assisting job over in the U.K. and I was really surprised at how cramped everything feels, especially in London and in Birmingham, so I feel for you. The houses are almost on top of one another. Then you drive to the country side and you see these lush pastures with open fields of grass and quaint homes with outhouses for miles and miles. Oh...Kilometers for you brits, heh!
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Man oh man....you have no idea. I happen to have a lot of engineer buddies (outside of GS, lol) who I often talk with. Some of them have really nice studios which earn a lot of money. Every time one of my buddies sends me a pic of his new Flea or Neumann or rack of BAE pres etc. I turn a little green. So believe me, I've done my fair share of "puking with envy" over the years.
Well once you’re up and running I’m sure bands and artists will be flocking to work in such a great space, and then I’ll be seeing you in the high end forum discussing the merits of the various vintage u47s and tfunk 251s you bought to use as Tom mics

Quote:
I understand. I had my first assisting job over in the U.K. and I was really surprised at how cramped everything feels, especially in London and in Birmingham, so I feel for you. The houses are almost on top of one another. Then you drive to the country side and you see these lush pastures with open fields of grass and quaint homes with outhouses for miles and miles. Oh...Kilometers for you brits, heh!
Oh no we do use miles here none of this modern kilometres nonsense!

So true, I’m waiting to retire so we can move away from London entirely and convert a farm into a studio! Only 40 more years to go...
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Racks installed!

I got about 90% of my rack gear installed and line checked outside of a few nifty stomp boxes and pedals I have packed away. I also brought in my upright piano. My son jumped on it as soon as we hauled it in. I still have a few pieces of gear in my writing room in the house along with some monitors and my main PC. Now I just need to run cuemix feeds back into the ISO and the live area via returns on the snake and I can theoretically start doing test recordings....however...

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-racks-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-piano-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-piano-2.jpg  
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

FEDEX...aargh!

As I was saying in the previous post, I was hoping to start doing test recordings soon to start learning this room. The missing pieces to my track lights came in the mail today. Look at what FEDEX did to the packages. Those pics are exactly how the package was delivered!

I had to deny the package and return it so I don't have much light outside of the ISO room for another couple of weeks hence the possible delays doing test recordings. If you've noticed, in a lot of the pics I've taken I leave the door open to bring in light and I also have that flood light going in most scenarios. Oh well. Guess it's just a minor setback, all things considering.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-fedex-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-fedex-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-fedex-3.jpg  
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear
Just a bump (dent? LOL) in the road........ It's looking great(er)! You'll have light and great sounds before you know it. Keep looking forward.
It may seem interminable at times, but there's a lot more fun just up the path.

Nice gear! Cool looking piano, too!
Michael
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
Just a bump (dent? LOL) in the road........ It's looking great(er)! You'll have light and great sounds before you know it. Keep looking forward.
It may seem interminable at times, but there's a lot more fun just up the path.

Nice gear! Cool looking piano, too!
Michael

Just a "bump in the road" eh? lol. I was able to get the two long sections of track I accepted installed yesterday so half the room is lit up now. Makes a world of a difference having some light! Up til now, I had been wiring the patchbey with one of those headlamps strapped on. After a couple hours I would start to get headaches due to the blood circulation getting cutoff.

I setup the kit in the ISO (minus some other cymbals I have on my practice kit) just to see how it sounded in there. I was quite surprised actually. Kick and snare sound really good in there! My old room was small and dead, 20ft x 22ft thereabouts. I really didn't like the way drums sounded in there. Just didn't have any "oomph" for lack of a better word.

This booth sounds nice and tight but everything is still deep and punchy to my surprise. My experience is small rooms usually choke the drums but that doesn't seem to be the case here and I'm not sure why?

Can't wait to move the kit into the live area on the riser though. Want to finish the lighting install first though because the electricians are working on a huge scaffold and rolling it around so it makes a mess when they are working...objects dropping from the sky, lol. Real soon though...
Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-drums-iso-2.jpg  
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear
Perhaps I should've said bump in a dark road! LOL
Nice drum kit.
Yeah, those headlamps are a pain! LOL
Michael
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

DIY custom Vanity

Today I built a custom "floating" vanity for the bathroom. I used 2ft x 4ft sheets of birch. I cut the sheets to size then sanded lightly, dusted and sealed with a protective clear coat. Lastly I installed the trim around the edges. Hoping my plumber can do the toilet and sink plumbing this week. Would be nice to have a bathroom and not have to track dirt into the house when I need to "go".

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-7.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vanity-8.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Still bringing in gear

Today I brought in some guitars and my keys.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bringing-instruments-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bringing-instruments-2.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

How far away are you do you think from opening your doors to the public?

Ps. Did you acquire your DIY/carpentry skills whilst embarking on this project or have you always been good with this stuff?

On our extension I did end up learning to tile and lay wooden floors...but though I have grand ideas of designing and building a new desk for my studio, I think it may be a step too far!
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh Raval View Post
How far away are you do you think from opening your doors to the public?

Ps. Did you acquire your DIY/carpentry skills whilst embarking on this project or have you always been good with this stuff?

On our extension I did end up learning to tile and lay wooden floors...but though I have grand ideas of designing and building a new desk for my studio, I think it may be a step too far!

My doors "unofficially" open next week. I have three productions and two mixes on hold. Couple of bands that are interested in tracking here as well. Repeat customers mostly. I've been co-producing for some time now part-time mostly. Started mixing for others about 5-6 years ago. This is my big leap into full-time. Scary!

Regarding the craftsmanship, I think I've always been good at building stuff. My uncle owned a construction company. that was my very first job each summer from age 13-16. I did some odd construction jobs over the years...bricklaying and foundation stuff. I really gained a lot of experience with building techniques when we bought this house. We remodeled the upstairs. It just kind of comes natural.

My GC had an emergency and left suddenly at which point I took over. Just started doing stuff myself over weekends. Couldn't wait weeks for contractors to "be available" to install my toilet, or sink or install my baseboards or pendant lights. We were living in the house during construction. It was a torturous experience.

I'd say try the desk. At most it'll put you out what...a hundred bucks or so? Do as much research as you can! Measure twice and cut once! You can do it man!

[EDIT] Got my lights in today! Yay! Plumbers coming to finish the bathroom on Thursday. I would do it myself but I still have a few more tests to run. Cable and patchbey checks. Some PC configuration and whatnot.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My doors "unofficially" open next week. I have three productions and two mixes on hold. Couple of bands that are interested in tracking here as well. Repeat customers mostly. I've been co-producing for some time now part-time mostly. Started mixing for others about 5-6 years ago. This is my big leap into full-time. Scary!
Well good on you for having the courage to do it in the first place. You've built such a great space there I'm sure it's going to be a super successful transition.

Quote:
Regarding the craftsmanship, I think I've always been good at building stuff. My uncle owned a construction company. that was my very first job each summer from age 13-16. I did some odd construction jobs over the years...bricklaying and foundation stuff. I really gained a lot of experience with building techniques when we bought this house. We remodeled the upstairs. It just kind of comes natural.

My GC had an emergency and left suddenly at which point I took over. Just started doing stuff myself over weekends. Couldn't wait weeks for contractors to "be available" to install my toilet, or sink or install my baseboards or pendant lights. We were living in the house during construction. It was a torturous experience.
That's great you had a little bit of knowledge to build on, makes attempting things less daunting!

I completely relate to living on a building site, at one stage we had just one room to live in with our kitchen being a microwave. But it sure is nice to suddenly have all the work done and all the additional space to move into.

Quote:
I'd say try the desk. At most it'll put you out what...a hundred bucks or so? Do as much research as you can! Measure twice and cut once! You can do it man!
Thanks for the encouragement! It might be fate, as a carpenter just moved into the house opposite and has converted his garage into a workshop. Time to get baking...
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

File Cabinet

Yesterday I purchased a file cabinet for $20 bucks from the recycle/reclaim store. It's the same place I purchased that beautiful wood door from that I hung by the upright piano. I bought some foam from the fabric store on sale for $10 bucks and lined the cabinet. So $3o dollars all in! I'll be moving most of my mics out of the large storage bins and keeping them in this file cabinet. I got a lock for the cabinet too, just need to install it later this week.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-file-cabinet-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-file-cabinet-2.jpg  
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Drums on Riser vs. Amps on Riser?

Today I installed some periphery lights around the edge of the riser then moved the drums on top. I swapped out later and put some amps and a few of my snare drums on there too since I want to do some test drum recordings in the ISO booth possibly next week.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-amps-riser-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-amps-riser-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-drums-riser-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-drums-riser-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-drums-riser-2.jpg  

Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear
Looking more and more like a working studio ...... a really nice one!
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Studio Construction is 98% complete! Part 1.

It's been an exhilarating (and exhausting) journey and I'm proud to say I see the finish line before my very eyes. I'm about 98% finished with the build! Except for a few minor details like the exhaust fan cover in the bathroom as well as installing the final sconce light in there, I just need to get in and re-arrange things a bit to promote comfort and speed when working.

I'll start a couple projects this upcoming week after helping my wife out a little in her studio. Here are some final "before and after" pics for you all to enjoy. Thanks for all the support, feedback and encouragement everyone contributed to this thread. Oh one last thing...I have a friend who is a professional photographer who will be taking some "official" pics for my website in the very near future. I may share a few of those depending on how they turn out.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-space-after-1st-priming-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-space-after-1st-priming-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-space-after-1st-priming-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-space-far-shot-front-garage-door.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-space-initial-wall-patching-2.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-7.jpg  
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Studio Construction is 98% complete! Part 2.

"After" photos. Part 2.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-8.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-9.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-10.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-11.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-12.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-13.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-14.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-15.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-irm-16.jpg  
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

That place is hideous...

(Great job)
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Well done Funny Cat, the place looks amazing!! Congratulations on all your hard work and vision - looking forward to hearing some recordings now
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Haven't had much time to dig into miking drums since I've been working on a production but I had about 45min. to spare today. So I threw up a few mics on the kit and did my very 1st drum recording today. No processing on this clip whatsoever. Just "faders-up".

I do a lot of Reggae so I jumped behind the kit and did a quick "One Drop" then a "boom-Bap" type pattern for giggles. I like how I can hear the "space" in the overs especially. Really looking fwd to experimenting with room mics in here! Hoping to get a few local bands in REAL soon!

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-1st-drum-recordings-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-1st-drum-recordings-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-1st-drum-recordings-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bass-cab-iso-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bass-cab-iso.jpg  

Attached Files
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

That sounds brilliant for just faders up, you will do great in that space!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
I agree with DirkB. It's a great looking place and the drums sound really good. You'll be inspired and tickled to find yourself in there!

Well done!
Michael
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Thx for the kind words @ DirkB + @ mcintalker

Yeah I think drums should be no problem in here. However, I am having a little difficulty adjusting to the room in some ways. As I mentioned, I'm doing pre-production and arrangements for a band and came up with a nice bassline but I'm having some difficulty finding just the right balance of room tone + direct when miking the cabinet out in the large room. I'm so used to working in smaller and very tight and dry spaces the past 5 years so this takes a little getting used to.

My good engineer buddy says I should place baffles all around the bass cabinet to keep it from exciting the room too much and that should make a world of difference. I'll give that a shot today if I have time. I just really need to dig in and learn the nuances of this room, learn all the sweet spots etc.

I'm also used to placing certain mics in certain spots and having them just work. My buddy says when he moved from his smaller room into his large room he had to discard everything he knew about mics and placement and start all over bc the room effects EVERYTHING from mic choice to placement etc. This is stuff we all know but it's really smacking me in the face right now, hehe. I think I might need to get an assistant sooner or later to keep from having to run back and forth every-time I move the mic 1cm, lol.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
Yeah, an assistant can really speed things up and keep it from getting tedious! LOL
You'll sort it all out.
Michael
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Maniac

The drums sound great! Love the roominess of the overheads

All you need now is a height adjustable drum umbrella over your stage! Hehe
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

2nd Drum Recording Test...

I did another quick drum recording this morning. This time in a Rock style. Different snare then the previous clip, obviously. I wasn't too happy about the snare that came with the Yamaha Stage Custom kit when tuned high so I tried tuning it extremely low and I think it sounds pretty good in this range. Again, this clip is completely unprocessed...just faders-up! 6 mics with Glyn Johns overs. I really can't wait to get room and tom mics going to see what this room really brings to the recordings. I better get back to the project I'm supposed to be working on now...

P.S. I'm no Rock drummer so go easy on me. lol

Last edited by Funny Cat; 25th April 2018 at 07:34 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search