The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Oh, but you know what IS a giant reflector (and I totally hate to say this): big wooden studio desks. I built one just like yours - even down to the IKEA worktop and the use of wood-stain (which I kept), and multiple coats of varnish - there's a glimpse of it in my profile photo, come to think of it. But I now have to admit that it's causing me HUGE issues in terms of resonance. That's in part, I'm sure, to the fact that it's resting on wall-mounted 2x1s, which sets up a sympathetic resonance with the walls. But even with IsoAcoustic stands (the ones with the sprung legs) there is enough sound vibrating down to the upper shelf, and thence to the desk and the walls, that even at moderate volumes, it acts as a big old sub.

So if you're planning on putting the monitors on that top shelf of the desk ... you might want to do a few tests first. Me, I can feel my entire desk vibrating at very moderate volumes, to the point that - much though I hate to say it - my next project will be to scrap the big desk-type work surface, for something that's just the minimal amount to have a keyboard and mouse - max a foot front to back, with computer monitors mounted from arms off the back, and the studio monitors sitting on separate stands.

Something you may want to experiment with now, just in case ...

I suspect that the biggest issue is the sympathetic resonance, rather than the surface reflecting sound - so if you were planning to mount your monitors on metal floor stands behind the desk it might be fine. But I think a lot of us build wooden desks along the configuration of old-fashioned mixing desks, little realising what's in store once the music starts pumping.

Yeah, lol. I have separate stands for my mains which sit behind the desk although I do have a pair of Yammie HS5's which believe it or not I do a majority of my mixing on (big NS10 fan here). They will sit on the desk shelf but I am going to either purchase sorbothane pads or these. I've been told by several other AE's that the sorbothane pads work just as good as any other isolating product for speakers but I need to research it more. We'll see once the room is setup. Thanks for bringing that up.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 9th February 2018 at 01:04 AM..
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

DIY Floating Shelf & prep for floor install

On Friday I built a floating shelf out of an extra hollow core door I had laying around. I'll paint it grey like the side wall. The blue tape kept it from splintering at the edges when I cut it with the table saw.

I also did a major cleanup getting ready for flooring next week. I need to go over the floors one more time with a broom then vacuum before the end of the weekend.

There was so much sawdust in here I could barely breathe when it gets agitated. Even though it looks clean in those last pics there is a film of dust on everything. You can see it on that black credenza near the drum riser. Aargh!

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-7.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-8.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-9.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-floating-shelf-cleanup-10.jpg  

Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Flooring

This week I installed floors. It was a bit more labor intensive and slightly more complicated than I expected. Took a couple days to really get the hang of it.

In the 1st pic you can see how there is an "apex" in my floor. It rises then suddenly slopes. You can see it clearly if you focus on the top of that 1st pic where I show the caulking in the expansion gap.

In order to get the planks to sit properly at that spot, I had to install a transition strip (actually a "reducer") which required drilling into the concrete to install the metal base strip.

It's definitely a compromise. I was hoping to not need a transition strip but there was no way to avoid it. Next week I start installing a matching border strip to cover the gaps where the floors and walls meet.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-7.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-8.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-flooring-9.jpg  
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quarter Round Floor Trim

Today I installed the matching quarter round floor trim. It's barely noticeable from afar but here are a few closeup shots of what it looks like. The entire live room has this trim. I will install Vinyl baseboard, A.K.A. "cove" in the ISO booth later next week.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-quarter-round-floor-trim-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-quarter-round-floor-trim-2.jpg  
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

good luck with your build
cant wait too see more pics.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

ISO Vinyl Baseboard installed

Today I got a lot of little finish work done off my "punch-list". First I installed the Vinyl Base A.K.A. Vinyl Cove in the ISO booth. The color match isn't perfect but there aren't tons of color options for this stuff. There was just light grey and dark grey in the grey's family. Over all it looks cool.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vinyl-cove-installed-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vinyl-cove-installed-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-vinyl-cove-installed-3.jpg  
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Bathroom Passageway Door installed, insulated and trimmed

I also installed the second bathroom door that allows my wife's clients into the restroom without disturbing me. I insulated the cracks with pink...everyone knows the bathroom needs to be pretty well soundproofed. Then I installed the trim kits.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-passageway-door-installed-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-passageway-door-installed-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-passageway-door-installed-trimmed.jpg  
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Bathroom matching Floor Trim installed

I also got to install the matching quarter round trim to hide the spaces between the floors and the walls. I have a concrete lip in the bathroom too on the wall which you cannot see in these pics. If you recall, I boxed this concrete lip out in wood in the live room area. For the bathroom I'm just going to paint the concrete lip and add a piece of trim at the bottom of the drywall gap.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-passageway-door-floor-trim-installed-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-passageway-door-floor-trim-installed-2.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Working the "punch-list"...Bathroom door threshold

I'm at the point now where I'm going down a "punch-list" of little things that need to be done to make the build look professional. That includes things like caulking gaps, doing paint touch ups, filling spaces with wood trim where needed and on and on.

Here I made a custom door threshold since there was a visible gap between the studio space and the bathroom entrance. Can't remember exactly why but I determined that in order to make the floor planks appear straight with the walls, I had to end and start at those particular points and where the planks landed left that little gap. Anyway, here are pics of the process. I'll be hanging a few acoustic panels next week, hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-threshold-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-threshold-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-threshold-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-threshold-4.jpg  
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear
Beautiful.
And you deserve it.

No get done and make some music!!
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
Beautiful.
And you deserve it.

No get done and make some music!!

Thanks man!

About getting done and making some music, you forget I'm building my wife's art studio right now as well, heh! Couple of pics of her build if anyone is interested.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-img_2052.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-img_2054.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-img_2067.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-img_2220.jpg  
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Hanging panels & artwok

Today I started hanging acoustic panels and artwork since I am still awaiting delivery of the deck rail system. I figure it would be good to get these things off the floor and out of the storage areas where they are just taking up space. I still have about 8 more panels to hang as well as a cloud to finish. In the first pic you can see I used a heating glue gun to attache bumpers to all the panels so there is a teeny air gap between the wall and the rockwool inside the panels.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-7.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-8.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-9.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-10.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-11.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-hanging-panels-art-12.jpg  
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Thanks man!

About getting done and making some music, you forget I'm building my wife's art studio right now as well, heh! Couple of pics of her build if anyone is interested.

If you tile the walls that would make a nice echo chamber...
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
If you tile the walls that would make a nice echo chamber...

Great idea! Now I just have to convince her to let me use her office for that purpose.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Custom Stage Skirt

Made a lot of progress this week. I made a custom stage skirt out of leftover material from the acoustic panels. First I floated the drum riser on rubber U-Channel to prevent any vibration, then attached the skirt using tacks.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-stage-skirt-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-stage-skirt-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-stage-skirt-3.jpg  
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Window Curtain

I installed a window curtain. This is a standard IKEA cotton curtain but I had to cut it to length then hem the bottom. Worked out pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-window-curtain-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-window-curtain-2.jpg  
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Cable Rail System for Deck

I installed the cable railing system for the upper deck. I have to admit, this was very hard to do by myself. My hands are extremely sore and cut up from working with the cabling. It was also a bit dangerous working on the edge holding the railing up and trying to drill into the subflooring but I got er' done! Next week I need to source some wood for the handrail I'll put on top. That should be pretty easy.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-cable-rail-system-7.jpg  
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Garage Door Insulation

I insulated the garage door using half inch 4ft x 8ft sheets of Polystyrene rigid insulation board. I had to cut the sheets to fit the panels on the door since many of the garage door panels were different sizes. I could immediately tell the difference in the temperature in the room when finished.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-garage-door-insulation-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-garage-door-insulation-2.jpg  
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Theater Curtain

I hung the theater curtain using x2 pieces of 10ft pipe attached with a coupling and floor flanges with nipples. I couldn't go all the way up because I want the door to still be able to open and function. Right now I have some rope supporting the mid section because there is a bit of sag due to the weight. I plan on installing steel cable from the ceiling to support the mid section. I'll also paint the top part of the door deep blue.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-theater-curtain-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-theater-curtain-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-theater-curtain-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-theater-curtain-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-theater-curtain-5.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 6th March 2018 at 02:15 PM..
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Addict

That’s a nice big space!
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Acoustic Cloud

I hung two acoustic clouds over the mix position. When I was researching online, info was pretty faint regarding the best way to hang these but here is what I came up with. There is a closeup pic below showing the materials I used for the hanging part. It's basically screw eyes, zinc plated quick links and zinc plated chain. I used Hilti toggle bolts for ceiling anchors and they are very easy to use. I highly recommend them! they can hold up to 45lbs per toggle bolt.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-acoustic-cloud-construction-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-acoustic-cloud-construction-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-acoustic-cloud-construction-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-acoustic-cloud-construction-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-acoustic-cloud-construction-5.jpg  

Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Custom Handrail for Deck

I made a custom handrail for the deck cable rail system. They sell ready made banisters at the local wood supply shop but they were tall and skinny and a little costly so I decided to go custom. I bought 1" inch x 2" & 1/2" inch square stock. I'm not sure what type of wood this is but it's a hardwood and feels really solid. I routed the edges to get them round, then sanded smooth and made miter cuts for the corners. I had to drill through the steel top plate in several places and then pre-drill the wood from underneath to keep it from splitting. Came out nice.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-custom-hand-rail-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-custom-hand-rail-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-custom-hand-rail-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-custom-hand-rail-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-custom-hand-rail-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-custom-hand-rail-6.jpg  
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Garage Door Top painted

I painted the top of the garage door deep blue to match the walls and sort of hide the fact that the theater curtain does not go up to the ceiling. Again, I did not take the curtain up to the ceiling because I want to be able to use the door as a "load-in" dock of sorts from time to time. I actually have an upright grand piano to bring in in a couple of weeks for one.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-top-garage-door-paint-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-top-garage-door-paint-2.jpg  
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Killing Flutter Echoes with Diffusors and stuff...

I installed a custom sliding trey on my desk for the keyboard, mouse and a midi controller. I got a heavy duty adjustable slider on amazon for about $12 bucks.

I also installed a few diffusors in certain places. You can see a glimpse of it on the ceiling near the acoustic clouds. I was trying to kill flutter echoes I'm getting when I step to the left and to the right of the mix position. I realize I don't have throw rugs in the space yet so I know that will help a little.

The mix position and about 2/3rds of the room sound great (especially near the tracking area), however when I take a step to the left and/or right just under those acoustic clouds I can hear flutter echoes and a ring, aargh.

It worked fine above the deck but the diffusors actually made it worse towards the front of the room on the ceiling. So now I have to build like 7 more acoustic clouds and treat the areas on the ceiling that are bare behind the mix position, above the ISO booth and on that front wall.

When I close my eyes it seems like that's where they are coming from. Boy oh boy, I am so exhausted and hanging those panels is scary scary scary with 14ft+ ceilings.
Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-keyboard-sliding-trey-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-keyboard-sliding-trey-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-diffusors-1.jpg  
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Working the "Punch-List"

I'm still working my way down the punch list. I got a good bit done the past few days.

In pics 1-4 I installed "Fat Mat" sound & vibration killer. I cut strips and placed them underneath the spiral stairs and on both the front and back ridges. Kind of hard to see but it's there.

This is the same stuff they use in cars to help control vibrations when installing powerful sound systems. I was getting some sympathetic ringing in the stairs when I stand next to it and yell "Hey" at extremely loud volumes. Didn't ring when I hit my snare or toms but I figured best to nip this in the bud anyway. It's much better now. In pic 4 you can see the no-slip tread tape I put on the top front portion of the treads.

In pics 5-7 you can see that I got track lights in the ISO booth now. The electrician also installed all the outlets and switches in the entire studio. I'm missing some parts for the tracks in the main area but those should come next week and at that point we'll install the track lighting in the main recording area.

In pic 5 you can see the control panel I installed for the silent ventilation fan that sits on top of the ISO booth (right above the drums stacked). It's whisper quiet! I had to crank it to like 85% just to tell if it was working or not.

In the last pic I installed a pendant light over the drum riser. Maybe I'll put a hue light in there? Not sure yet. More to come...

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-treatment-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-treatment-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-treatment-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-treatment-4-no-slip-treads.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-track-lights-iso-1.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-track-lights-iso-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-track-lights-iso-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-pendant-light.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 21st March 2018 at 02:38 AM..
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Maniac

What a stunning space Funny Cat - you've done such a brilliant job so far - really looking forward to keeping up to date with your progress and seeing it all finished and kitted out
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear
Yeah, I have to agree. It looks great! You'll sort the sound/room. Just hang in there..... especially while hanging clouds! LOL
Michael
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh Raval View Post
What a stunning space Funny Cat - you've done such a brilliant job so far - really looking forward to keeping up to date with your progress and seeing it all finished and kitted out

Thank you for the kind words Animesh! I'm slowly trying to "creep" into the mid/high end spaces category, lol. Regarding some of the kit...see the pics below this post.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
Yeah, I have to agree. It looks great! You'll sort the sound/room. Just hang in there..... especially while hanging clouds! LOL
Michael

Thanks for the encouragement mcintaker. I'm almost there, woohoo! There are a few anomalies but I might be obsessing at this point?

I have a good buddy who does AV installs. He'll be shooting the room for me with REW either later this week or next in exchange for some studio time.

He came by this past weekend and said he thought I was making too much out of the issues and that they would disappear once I get the room furnished and get some throw rugs on the floors.

We put a couple of rugs down and wha-da-ya-know...some of the flutter echoes I was hearing totally disappeared!

Last edited by Funny Cat; 26th March 2018 at 05:30 PM..
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear
The closer you get to completion (is there such a place? LOL), the more every little detail gets magnified.
You'll probably be surprised at how well you've planned and chosen, for the most part and you'll get to learn
from the areas that need attention.
You're well on the way to a fabulous time basking in your new studio!
Michael
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search