The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Build door jamb & Install the wooden reclaim door

The next day I installed the door but I had to build a custom door jamb first since most prefab jambs are only wide enough to fit standard rough openings accounting for drywall. Since I hung wood panels on the wall on top of the QuietRock, a standard size jamb would be too small.

I have to say that building the custom jamb, combined with drilling the keyhole and striker holes in the door were the most technically difficult tasks I've taken on so far because there is no room for error. Even a 16th of an inch makes the difference between the door closing smoothly vs. getting hung!

I didn't get pics of me building the custom door jamb but I ripped 1x12 pine boards to fit the rough opening and used 1" inch screws plus glue and brad nails to connect the jamb. I plumbed it and leveled it then shimmed it based on the size of the door and routed slots for the hinges to match the door. I'll trim the border for the door when I frame my entry door. Pics coming later.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-reclaimed-door-hinges-install-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-reclaimed-door-hinges-install-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-reclaimed-door-door-knob-hole-bored.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-reclaimed-door-framing-amb-striker-cut-installed.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-reclaimed-door-installed-jamb-1.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-reclaimed-door-installed-jamb-2.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Entry door framing and trim

My entry door was not completely framed out so I had to rip pieces of long pine and fill in the gaps so it would be flush with the wall. Then I trimmed the border using choice pine boards which later get painted.

It's kind of hard to see the detail since I have limited lighting in that area at the moment. I had to do two custom cuts to make space for the garage door lift control as well as a light sensor switch which you can't see from the pic.

My electricians will not be back to install the track lights until I'm at the very tail end of the build. Hopefully these pics give an idea of what I did to the entry door though. Oh one last thing, the current wood entry door will get replaced at the end with a steel entrance door which I've already priced out from Lowe's.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-entry-door-framing-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-entry-door-trim.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Bathroom door installed and trimmed

I installed a pre-hung composite door for the bathroom then trimmed it with more pine boards I had stored in that crawl space. I ripped the pine boards to 4" inches to match the boxed out concrete bump. This all gets painted one solid color since the wood is reclaimed and not in the best shape. I also didn't quite vibe with the lighter blue on the bathroom and HVAC closet area for some reason so the color will get changed later down the line.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-door-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-door-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-door-trim.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-bathroom-door-baseboards.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Installing ISO glass

The next task was to install the ISO glass. First I marked and lined the center of the window sill with window stripping. In both cases, the glass sits directly on this foam stripping to create a seal. Then I added stripping on both sides to create an additional seal. I used a bead of special window caulk underneath the wood framing for the windows and tacked them in place with brad nails. All the little gaps get caulked and filled with silicone window sealant after the border trim gets put on the windows. You can see how nicely that sunroof window cleaned up in the third pic.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-installing-iso-windows-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-installing-iso-windows-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-installing-iso-windows-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-installing-iso-windows-4.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

ISO window framed and trimmed inside the booth

Here I frame and trim the glass in the ISO booth from the inside. Since I put the tongue and groove panels on in advance for painting, I had to cut them back a bit once I decided the width of the border trim so they can sit evenly. I ripped pine board from my stash, then mitered the corners. The border trim will get painted a darker grey color at a later time.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framing-inside-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framing-inside-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framing-inside-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framed-inside-after-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framed-inside-after-2.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framed-inside-after-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framed-inside-after-4.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

ISO Glass trimmed and caulked from outside

These pics show the border trim and caulking stages of the ISO glass from the outside. The trim on this side will get stained instead of painted since I really liked the wood look against the deep blue. Besides, I used select choice pine boards for this task. Second set of pics are just some random angles showing the border trim from different distances.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-framing-outside-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-caulking-outside.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-window-caulking-outside-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-painted-front-window-view.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-painted-garage-door-view.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-painted-front-entry-door-view.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-painted-inside-iso-view-looking-entry-door.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 26th December 2017 at 07:09 PM..
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

More window framing and trim shots

A couple more pics after framing and trim. Last pic shows the ISO booth with baseboard trim. I did the top trim at a later time. I was tired.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-painted-windows-framed-outside-view-closeup.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-space-painted-view-near-thermostat.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-booth-baseboard.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Gotta watch 'em like a hawk! Otherwise...

One thing I wanted to point out is that when the electricians ran the dedicated circuit for my gear on the front wall, they ran it in steel conduit since I didn't want them to break open the wall.

I made a supplies run right when they started the work and they ran the pipe in the middle of the wall instead of along the edge. It was my fault though because I know VERY well that when you delegate tasks to contractors you have to be around to make sure they do the work according to how you envisioned it.

Otherwise they just take liberties on how they think the work should be done. You can see pics below of where the old pipe was and how I had to get them back in and move the pipe...at my expense.

These pics below show the new conduit pipe laying flush against the edge of the wall adjacent to the bathroom after they moved it. Like I said, I learned this lesson during my house remodel when I took over the GC duties and should have known better then to leave them unattended for that long. Now I have to sand and touch up the paint on the front wall.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-painted-far-corner-view-dedicated-circuit-moved.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-rv-painted-front-garage-door-view-dedicated-circuit-moved.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Very stylish use of colours and materials so far - looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Looking great, nice design touch withall the wood trim and machting colour scheme.
And I’m sure drums will sound killer in that big room!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Looking great, nice design touch withall the wood trim and machting colour scheme.
And I’m sure drums will sound killer in that big room!

Greetings,
Dirk

I'm itching so bad to put my kit in this room and "sneak" mics into every nook and cranny. I better start saving for more channels of A/D because I don't think 32 will be enough! lol.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

New Access hole for crawl space

Here is a shot of the new access hole I cut and trimmed off for access to my studio's crawl space. I sealed off the other one you saw in previous pics near the HVAC register. It's a bit difficult to whip out the iPhone and take pics when I'm working on a ladder which is why some of these tasks don't have step-by-step pics.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-img_1991.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Really cool build, congrats on the new space!
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
Really cool build, congrats on the new space!
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. Happy New Year!
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear
Happy New Year to you! This is quite inspiring and I'm glad your wife agreed. LOL
It's looking great already and I can imagine it will just keep getting better and better.
Michael
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Wood Door trimmed & Entry door painted

I trimmed the wooden door with a molding kit and painted the entry door trim deep blue like the walls. I need to paint the bottom section where the concrete bump out sits near the floor. I'll put that on my finish list. Again, that door will get replaced with a steel entry door.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-entry-door-trim-painted.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wood-door-trimmed.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 27th December 2017 at 05:55 PM..
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Wall window framing

As you can see in the first pic most of the windows and doors were unfinished when I got the space. I had to rip wood from my reclaimed stash to get everything even with the wall then frame it out.

Liquid nails and brad nails were my choice of weapons for this job. The final trim will get stained the same color as the ISO glass trim, border and crown trim. I also painted the interior of the window in that deep blue color but didn't get pics of that stage but you can see the results in some later pics I'll post.

I insulated using pink and also caulked the gaps once I put the border trim on. No pics of that stage either. For this particular window I decided to create a little ledge so I can put a few plants on since this is the only source of light in my studio.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-b4-framing-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-framing-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-framing-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-framing-4.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-framing-5.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-framing-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-wall-window-framing-7.jpg  
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

ISO Baseboard

Next I put Baseboard on the ISO Booth on the outside. I won't do the inside until the flooring is laid since it needs to get painted to match the inside ISO border trim and haven't yet decided the color. I'll do the crown trim a bit later. I had to stop early that day for one of my son's school events.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-booth-baseboard.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 27th December 2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

ISO Booth Crown Trim

Crown trim on the ISO booth.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-booth-crown-trim.jpg  
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

OK...Let's build some "Gobo's!" pt.1

So I decided to build a few Gobos. One tall one which will sit behind the vocalist should I decide to cut vocals in the large open space, two medium sized and one small. I put casters on the larger Gobos. I'll throw a packing blanket over the tall Gobo when cutting vocals in the large space. I find them extremely effective at controlling reflections from the backside.

I created a "rough" schematic to calculate exactly how much wood I needed. I routed the bottom plate and laid a bead of wood glue for stability. I used leftover OSB for the center board and lined that in the front with more of the reclaimed tongue & groove. Then I put acoustic sound board on the backside of each Gobo.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-schematic.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-3.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-4.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-5.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-6.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-7.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-8-routing-bottom-sill.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 27th December 2017 at 06:56 PM..
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

OK...Let's build some "Gobo's!" pt.2

Pt2.

Here you can see the glue in the bottom plate. I also primed and later painted the taller Gobo and decided to use the leftover wood from the splash wall on the three smaller Gobos. In picture No.3 you can see where I rounded the feet on the Gobo's using my router for some added extra detail.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-9-gluing-bottom-sill.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-10.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-11-routing-feet.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-12.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-13-priming-tall-gobo.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-14-small-ones-complete.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-14-priming-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-15.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-16.jpg  
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

OK...Let's build some "Gobo's!" pt.3

Pt.3

I used wood filler to fill the seams. I let that dry for 24 hours then sanded everything smooth. I also sanded to remove all the markings on the 2x4's. While the wood filler was drying I applied the first coat of grey to the frame of the tall Gobo. The next day I did two coats of dark blue in the center. Picture No.5 shows how smooth the edges look after wood filler and sanding with 150 grit sandpaper.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-17-wood-filler.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-18-wood-filler.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-19-sanded.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-20-sanded.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-21-sanded.jpg  

RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-22-tall-gobo-painted-two-tone.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-23-tall-gobo-painted-two-tone.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-gobo-build-24-tall-gobo-painted-two-tone.jpg  
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Measurements for flooring

OK...except for some minor finish work I did here and there, we are almost all caught up with the build now. This past weekend I took measurements so I can order the flooring. Everything gets flooring except the walkway since that doubles as a storage closet. I'll use concrete paint in there. Looks like I have about 1170 usable square ft. if I count the bathroom as an amp closet.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-dimensions-flooring-order.jpg  
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Spiral staircase

I was about to post pics of the spiral staircase which came in yesterday but just lost power. Posting mobile for the time being. To be cont.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Spiral staircase cont.

Power is back up. OK, so I got the spiral stairs in yesterday. Unpacked everything, inspected and read through the installation guide. Started the assembly but after hanging several of the treads on the center baluster I'm gonna need help with this. The bloody thing weighs in at around 400lbs with all the pieces. I can't even move the thing by myself with just the treads on and no other rails or pieces attached! Too awkward and extremely unsafe!

I called my framing carpenter to check his availability. He said he's busy until after the 1st so I'll get him in to help me with the install after the new year. The install guide recommends four people just to hold it up and balance the darn thing when installing. Oh well, in the meantime I'll work on some other smaller projects. Maybe I'll order my flooring and the cable rail system. Do some paint touch ups here and there.

Happy New Year to all!

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-arrived-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-arrived-2.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-spiral-stairs-arrived-3.jpg  
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Pt.3

I used wood filler to fill the seams. I let that dry for 24 hours then sanded everything smooth. I also sanded to remove all the markings on the 2x4's. While the wood filler was drying I applied the first coat of grey to the frame of the tall Gobo. The next day I did two coats of dark blue in the center. Picture No.5 shows how smooth the edges look after wood filler and sanding with 150 grit sandpaper.

I thought gobos were always made from soft, sound-absorbent material. How does the sound absorbent board you backed them with work out - and wouldn't Owens Corning and fabric be more effective? (I know you mentioned throwing packing blankets over the large one.)
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
I thought gobos were always made from soft, sound-absorbent material. How does the sound absorbent board you backed them with work out - and wouldn't Owens Corning and fabric be more effective? (I know you mentioned throwing packing blankets over the large one.)

Not always. If you go back and look at pics from the 50’s and 60’s you’ll see gobos made of all types of materials with blankets on top.

There is an old Sinatra pic as well as an Aretha pic just like this on the web. I’m just trying to “control” bleed and not eliminate it. Personally, I like bleed. :0)

Besides that the tracking area is so large I won’t have an issue with it if I adhere to good mic choice and placement.

I used to work in a studio with an open floor plan just like mine and honestly we never even used gobos. The records we did there sounded great, drum bleed and all.
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Here are a couple examples of gobos made of harder material at Manifold Recording, the brown ones specifically. They have several others, some made of wood and others made with soft absorbent material.

Album - Google+

Album - Google+
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Here are a couple examples of gobos made of harder material at Manifold Recording, the brown ones specifically. They have several others, some made of wood and others made with soft absorbent material.
Those are very different. They are filled with absorption material and then covered with binary diffusors calculated to diffuse a certain range of frequencies while absorbing a certain amount as well.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

ISO Booth Glass Door

Hey Folks,

Unfortunately I got the flu on New Years Day and was down and out for almost two weeks! Ugh! I feel much better now and started back up with the construction this week.

I purchased and installed the ISO booth glass door. I'll take it off the hinges and paint it deep blue like the rest of the ISO then trim the door later next week. The glass has a protective film on it so it looks "dingy" in the center and translucent on the edges in the picture, however it is clear see thru glass.

I got startled when I picked up the door since I had to search for days to find a 30" interior glass door. I had to put in a special order and when I saw it I was like yikes! this isn't clear glass. The guy in the doors dep't showed me how to peel the translucent layer. He said it's there so I can paint the door without screwing it up.

In this pic you can also see I ordered my flooring. I have boxes of this stuff everywhere in the studio. I'll install the flooring last after I do all my paint touch ups.

Attached Thumbnails
RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-door-1.jpg   RV Garage - conversion to Recording Studio!-iso-door-2-hung.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search