The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal
Old 24th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassElephant View Post
Haha I can just imagine a band eating lunch and suddenly their drums come ripping thru the cafeteria
That’s a great idea! I’ll try to get some video of it
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

More progress in Studio B

Almost ready to install the console

Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Adding our custom made producer desk to the 5088. This turned out great!

Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Racking up some gear for a mixing session in Studio B.

Prepping is the law. We're using Van Damme cabling, which is really good and easy to work on.

The room is sounding great! Mixing time!

Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Joar, I notice the boards you showed in a few photos. I have resized one showing boards on the ceiling but I see you have them on walls too, both in a studio and, I think, in a corridor.

These look like the boards that are part of a long wall in our town that helps reduce traffic noise for pedestrians and residents living next to the main road.

I am curious to know what these boards are called and how they help in a studio context, if you are able to explain without disclosing your company's secrets. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-0000aaa7.jpg   Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-3408wall.jpg   Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-3409wall.jpg  
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Joar, I notice the boards you showed in a few photos. I have resized one showing boards on the ceiling but I see you have them on walls too, both in a studio and, I think, in a corridor.

These look like the boards that are part of a long wall in our town that helps reduce traffic noise for pedestrians and residents living next to the main road.

I am curious to know what these boards are called and how they help in a studio context, if you are able to explain without disclosing your company's secrets. Thanks.

Hi,

Those boards are made of wood and cement, and we use them pretty much in all of our studio designs in a way or another. I’ll ask my partner Miguel to provide a better explanation about their use since I’m no acoustician.

Thanks!
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

This particular one we use it’s called Celenit but that’s the brand name, it’s made in Italy and it’s easily available here. But you’ll find the same product all over Europe with different brands and names, like Heraklith or Fibralith, just to name a couple. It’s mostly known as wood wool, it’s just fir wood particles pressed with Portland cement into boards.

The acoustic properties change depending on the fir particles width and board depth but the one we use has a really high air flow resistivity value. There’s really no secret here, the combination of having porous absorption materials with both high and low air flow resistivity values can create a really wide-band absorber if properly combined. You’ll still need something that’s specifically designed to deal with the low-end but you can do a lot with just the right combination of low and high air flow resistivity porous absorbers.

Celenit is what we use as the high air flow resistivity absorber in our system. It’s pretty effective and in our experience it doesn’t kill the high-end completely, something other porous absorbers can do if you over-do them. It’s also a more natural and sustainable product than other comparable materials and it’s not that expensive here.

I’ve never seen it pressed into block forms like the ones in the picture you posted though! I’m intrigued by it, I wonder if it has any structural capabilities and what’s the weight load on those. Any one knows the brand name of those?
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks, both of you, I undertsand how it can be part of whole absoption system and better appreciate what an exceptionally well designed studio you are building.

The ones in our town are thick tiles fixed to a concrete wall. By my spread hand that make the wall to be about 23cm thick and the end tiles have started coming apart which shows us the wall's construction. I found another wall further along the same main road that has a ribbed tile, as shown. I can hear the difference when I walk past them.
Attached Thumbnails
Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-3410wall.jpg   Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-3411wall.jpg   Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-3418wall.jpg   Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-3419wall.jpg  
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear
Will you guys be sharing measurements or mdats from the build? I understand if not, but it's always illuminating to have access to data for a build on this level. I'm most curious to know what sort of decay times you're shooting for in the various control rooms, and what the etc's are like...

Looking great! I bet it's sounding even better.
Old 12th January 2020
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques View Post
This particular one we use it’s called Celenit but that’s the brand name, it’s made in Italy and it’s easily available here. But you’ll find the same product all over Europe with different brands and names, like Heraklith or Fibralith, just to name a couple. It’s mostly known as wood wool, it’s just fir wood particles pressed with Portland cement into boards.

The acoustic properties change depending on the fir particles width and board depth but the one we use has a really high air flow resistivity value. There’s really no secret here, the combination of having porous absorption materials with both high and low air flow resistivity values can create a really wide-band absorber if properly combined. You’ll still need something that’s specifically designed to deal with the low-end but you can do a lot with just the right combination of low and high air flow resistivity porous absorbers.

Celenit is what we use as the high air flow resistivity absorber in our system. It’s pretty effective and in our experience it doesn’t kill the high-end completely, something other porous absorbers can do if you over-do them. It’s also a more natural and sustainable product than other comparable materials and it’s not that expensive here.

I’ve never seen it pressed into block forms like the ones in the picture you posted though! I’m intrigued by it, I wonder if it has any structural capabilities and what’s the weight load on those. Any one knows the brand name of those?
So to me it seems the properties would be similar to a RPG BAD panel, wherein it has the ability to not killing too much high freq while serving as an absorber of sorts allowing some sound to pass through and subsequently "scatter" and reflecting some sound as well (preventing killing too much high freq. Yes?
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks, both of you, I undertsand how it can be part of whole absoption system and better appreciate what an exceptionally well designed studio you are building.

The ones in our town are thick tiles fixed to a concrete wall. By my spread hand that make the wall to be about 23cm thick and the end tiles have started coming apart which shows us the wall's construction. I found another wall further along the same main road that has a ribbed tile, as shown. I can hear the difference when I walk past them.
Oh nice, they glued the wood wool to a cement structure. I thought they’re we’re doing it entirely out of the fir particles and cement! Still cool to see it used that way, for what I know of that material I’m pretty sure those work nice as sound barriers.
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Will you guys be sharing measurements or mdats from the build? I understand if not, but it's always illuminating to have access to data for a build on this level. I'm most curious to know what sort of decay times you're shooting for in the various control rooms, and what the etc's are like...

Looking great! I bet it's sounding even better.
Hi Ryan,

We might share some stuff if people request but we weren’t thinking of it, since most graphs don’t really show the entire scope of what’s been done. But stuff like decay times might be ok to share, we’ll think about it.
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
So to me it seems the properties would be similar to a RPG BAD panel, wherein it has the ability to not killing too much high freq while serving as an absorber of sorts allowing some sound to pass through and subsequently "scatter" and reflecting some sound as well (preventing killing too much high freq. Yes?
I don’t really know or used that panel so it’s though to comment. But just quick looking into their website and considering only high-frequency behaviour they might produce similar results! I’d have to test one to know for sure though...

But the idea is indeed similar, wood wool is more effective at mid-range and highs will be scattered and not absorbed in totality when compared to most porous absorbers.
Old 12th January 2020
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don’t really know or used that panel so it’s though to comment. But just quick looking into their website and considering only high-frequency behaviour they might produce similar results! I’d have to test one to know for sure though...

But the idea is indeed similar, wood wool is more effective at mid-range and highs will be scattered and not absorbed in totality when compared to most porous absorbers.
Thank you. You seem like a knowledgeable fellow. The build looks great and I am sure the results are turning out nicely. Planning and careful implementation are key to great acoustical results and it seems like you and your team are doing just that. I didn't use BAD panels in my studio construction either, however I applied other methods to achieve similar results and it turned out very well. More than one way to skin a cat...
Old 13th January 2020
Here for the gear

Here’s a few more pictures of Control Room B I took yesterday. It’s a little bit of mess right now, we’ve assembled a temporary mixing setup so we can start working while we finish all the patchbays and wiring. Beauty shots will come later! The side racks are from Sessiondesk and will be staying in this room. Some of the outboard gear is meant for this studio some will be used in other rooms, so this isn’t the final version of this control room, just a temporary setup.

We’re going to NAMM, we’ll be flying to LAX today. If anyone’s around we’d love to chat and meet, just send us a PM and we’ll find a way!
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Ryan,

We might share some stuff if people request but we weren’t thinking of it, since most graphs don’t really show the entire scope of what’s been done. But stuff like decay times might be ok to share, we’ll think about it.
That would be awesome if you decide to. Personally I'm very interested in what sorts of LF decay times people are achieving and happy with and how they compare to the rest of the spectrum- It seems that the current state of the art (or trend) is to reduce LF decay times below EBU 3276. Curious how much people prioritize that. If you were able to share a 40 dB spectrogram that would be amazing, ETC would be icing on the cake!

I do get that there are many practical realities in a studio setup and sharing measurements opens you up to undue criticism from some, you won't get that from me! But I understand and would be grateful for whatever you can share. That is going to be an incredible place to make records!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
That would be awesome if you decide to. Personally I'm very interested in what sorts of LF decay times people are achieving and happy with and how they compare to the rest of the spectrum- It seems that the current state of the art (or trend) is to reduce LF decay times below EBU 3276. Curious how much people prioritize that. If you were able to share a 40 dB spectrogram that would be amazing, ETC would be icing on the cake!

I do get that there are many practical realities in a studio setup and sharing measurements opens you up to undue criticism from some, you won't get that from me! But I understand and would be grateful for whatever you can share. That is going to be an incredible place to make records!
Ryan,

You're right, sometimes there's things that need to be done in a certain way to make the studio engineer-friendly and stuff like that (of course a big console in the way of the speakers always has some sort of influence in the sound) but we're pretty happy about the results.

I feel the studios are turning out great: they're easy to use, have great lines of sight, sound amazing, the power is super clean, etc. Other factor that I feel is as important as the studios is the fact that our complex is inviting and artist-friendly. There's always a lot of music and audio related stuff going on, and although the recording artists can have all the privacy they want sometimes is also good to step outside the studio and connect with other people.

I can't wait for the summer to get the barbecue going in the backyard
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

We're already in LA but the crew is keeping up the good work back home. Some fresh pictures of the live room in Studio B. As soon as we get the custom audio panels this room should be done.

Old 23rd January 2020
SRS
Lives for gear

NAMM

Was great meeting you guys (Joao and Miguel) and having a few drinks as well at NAMM. Like old friends upon first introduction. You both are real genuine friends. VERY knowledgeable as well. I wish you guys the best in everything you do and I hope to visit your studios in Portugal soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal-424d853b-cc65-487c-98f4-cbe37cf7d8b0.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Was great meeting you guys (Joao and Miguel) and having a few drinks as well at NAMM. Like old friends upon first introduction. You both are real genuine friends. VERY knowledgeable as well. I wish you guys the best in everything you do and I hope to visit your studios in Portugal soon!
Brent! So cool hanging out with you guys. Definitely one of the highlights of the show for me

We'll keep in touch, and don't you dare going to Spain and not visiting us later this year
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I'm still in Los Angeles for the next couple of days (PM if you're around and want to hang out!), but the team is working hard back home.

Good progress with the control room and main live room. All the framing in the main room should be done by the weekend.

The front desk and cafeteria are also pretty much done (lot's of cleaning to do though!)

Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Moving forward!

Studio A

Studio A is moving along really fast, all the walls are up. We begin the ceiling this week.

The control room is also almost done. Stretching the final fabric and waiting for the glass to arrive.

Studio B

We had a few sessions last week to start testing the new studio. I'm very happy because the artists gave us great feedback about the room sound, the layout, etc! I think it still needs some finishing touches and more vibe though..

Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey everyone,

Lots of new pictures to post but things are hectic due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Our country just declared a state of emergency and everything slowed down tremendously.

We have our (reduced) in-house crew moving forward with the build and wiring of the control room in Studio A.

I'll post some pictures in the next couple of days.

Stay safe!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search