The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Arda Recording Company - New Studios in Porto, Portugal
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
Impressive progress, despite all the setbacks. There's something so cool about building with concrete -- conceptually simple thing to do, but takes a lot of skill and knowledge to get it right.
Absolutely! We hired a contractor that came highly recommended for their concrete work. This is a tough build with very low tolerance for mistakes. Building a studio is very different from a regular house but so far they've been great.

The foreman has a lot of pride in his work and his team is very tight. I don't think we would have been able to pull this off with a less skilled crew.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 28th January 2019
Deleted 3cb98a6
Well...if the heavy work is nearly done...things will move faster.

Starting to think you would have been better of building new.

I have a bithday party in june in Porto..
Post your adress...would love 2 see this with my own eyes.

Grtz

Pief
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
Well...if the heavy work is nearly done...things will move faster.

Starting to think you would have been better of building new.

I have a bithday party in june in Porto..
Post your adress...would love 2 see this with my own eyes.

Grtz

Pief

Well we’re just keeping the walls from the original wharehouse so it’s pretty much like building from scratch, but I get what you’re saying haha!

PM me when you’re in town and we’ll do a tour kf the place!
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Studio A is getting taller!

Building the pillars that will support the concrete roof

Looking down to the live room

More coming soon.
Old 19th February 2019
Here for the gear
Looking good!
Can't wait to see this in person...
João, is it already possible to visit the place?

Abraços PTéMicos!
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Rodrigues View Post
Looking good!
Can't wait to see this in person...
João, is it already possible to visit the place?

Abraços PTéMicos!

Sure, as long as it's a small group.

PM me!
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

More than a month since the last update, so lots of new pictures to post.

Pillars and beams that will support the concrete roof of Studio A. Second picture shows the ceiling of the Iso Booths and Echo Chamber, which are a little less tall than the main room ceiling.

Soundlock ceiling. There will be a staircase to access the studio ceiling, which will house all the ventilation ducts. Notice that the entire studio structure does not touch the existing structure, nor the structure built for the first floor. Once the concrete is dry, the blue styrofoam will be removed to create a perfect gap between the outer shell of the studio and the building.

Studio A will be the tallest structure in the building, limited only by the blue beams that support the warehouse ceiling.

Laying down the ceilings. I love concrete! Third picture shows the through in one of the support beams for one of the ventilation systems.

Preparing for pouring the main studio ceiling.

Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

While the ceiling dries up, they begun laying down the sand filled concrete blocks for the outer isolation shell of the smaller studios. This will be the mastering room.

Studio D, on the first floor.

Studio D on top of the Mastering Studio.

Studio A's ceiling.

Walls of Studio A going up!

The weather has been great, so the work is moving pretty fast. This shows the service stairs to the studio ceiling.

Things are moving really fast and the studio walls (all five of them) should be done in about 2 weeks. New rooftop is going in later this week, so I should be able to post more pictures soon. Next step is the inner acoustic shell of the studios, so stay tuned.

Last edited by Joao B.; 26th March 2019 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
I love concrete!
It is obvious! It looks fantastic that you can excel at what you love doing and at the same time your customers get the benefit of it.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
It is obvious! It looks fantastic that you can excel at what you love doing and at the same time your customers get the benefit of it.
Our contractor is really good with concrete, everyday I’m amazed with his work. The carpentry stage is next and should be fun as well.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Huge project, good luck with it!
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
Huge project, good luck with it!

Thanks! It's been a long journey but hopefully it will be an amazing place when it's done
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Some more updates:

Iso booths and echo chamber in Studio A.

Door from control room to soundlock of Studio A.

Echo chamber.

View from one of the booths to the control room.

Soundlock of Studio A and the main studio corridor.

The gap between Studio A and the main building.

Access to the ceiling of the control room in Studio A, via the top floor. This space will be used as storage.

Isolation shell of Studio B is going up. The concrete block wall is laid on top of Sylomer strips for more isolation.

After a month of delay, we're finally getting a roof! Pretty handy since it has been raining a lot lately.

Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear
What an incredible project...This is going to be an amazing studio!
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
What an incredible project...This is going to be an amazing studio!
Thanks Ryan!
Old 23rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

Sometime during the next couple of weeks we'll start building the inner shells of the smaller studios. So progress will ramp up from now. Plus everything gets more interesting after the concrete/structural work.

We'll start with Studio D which is a mixing room on the first floor. We'll get that going first and actually gain time to finish some stuff on base floor. We still need to pour two concrete slabs and let all the concrete dry so we can't start the inner shells down there immediately.

We're also planning creating an YouTube channel so we can have some video going on the progress of the studios.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

There's been a delay caused by the lack of roof and the rain, but things are still moving forward.

I'll try to post some more pictures of the isolation shells of the studios next week.

In the meantime, we received the first shipment of insulation. We'll use wood fibre instead of regular rockwool. Since our designs allows for either material, we decided to use this one because it's easier to work with and more eco-friendly/sustainable.

Some fun facts. Just for the studios, we'll use approximately:

8 tons of wood fibre insulation.
17 tons of wood wool
30 tons of drywall
7 tons of deadsheet
5 tons of wood studs for framing
1/2 ton of screws

and the list goes on.

Hopefully we'll start posting pictures of the inner shells pretty soon.

Last edited by Joao B.; 3rd May 2019 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10th May 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
There's been a delay caused by the lack of roof and the rain, but things are still moving forward.

I'll try to post some more pictures of the isolation shells of the studios next week.

In the meantime, we received the first shipment of insulation. We'll use wood fibre instead of regular rockwool. Since our designs allows for either material, we decided to use this one because it's easier to work with and more eco-friendly/sustainable.

Some fun facts. Just for the studios, we'll use approximately:

8 tons of wood fibre insulation.
17 tons of wood wool
30 tons of drywall
7 tons of deadsheet
5 tons of wood studs for framing
1/2 ton of screws

and the list goes on.

Hopefully we'll start posting pictures of the inner shells pretty soon.
How is the "wood wool" treated for fire protection? Rockwool is an amazing product for its non-burning properties. Seems as though wood would burn more readily. But I am sure it is fire rated, just curious, as 17 tons is a sh&t-ton.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

I'm curious about this, too. I looked up a technical datasheet for the Thermoflex and according to that, the product is treated with "8% Ammonium polyphosphate compound as flame ret.ardant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
How is the "wood wool" treated for fire protection? Rockwool is an amazing product for its non-burning properties. Seems as though wood would burn more readily. But I am sure it is fire rated, just curious, as 17 tons is a sh&t-ton.
Old 11th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
The wood fibre insulation has that flame ******ant addictive but it still is an organic combustible product. It will just burn slower and produce less smoke in case of fire. That's the Gutex Thermoflex we're talking about.

The 17 tons of wood wool is a different product, it's a wood particle board pressed with cement and it actually has a pretty good fire rating: Euroclass B-s1, d0. That's as fire proof as a wood product can be, I'm not aware of anything wood based having an higher rating than that. The wood wool is a product called Celenit (that's also the brand, similar products exist under different brands such as Heraklith, Fibralith, etc.)
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Each studio is pretty much a self-contained bunker built with concrete blocks full of sand, and the doors have fire seals.

So if there’s a fire in one of the studios it won’t spread to the rest of the building.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

The construction on our studios has been going steadily and we have a ton of updates but unfortunately we haven't got the time to finish our videos or update this post as often. Hopefully we'll catch up soon.

We've finished most of the inner shell on Studio D. The smaller/lighter control rooms have a non floated concrete shell on the outside and its the inner shell that's completely floated on Sylomer.

The floor is a composite of several layers of fiberboard, drywall and deadsheet - mostly all glued and screwed so it functions as a whole. On this floated floor the inner structure is raised which will hold the porous absorbers and membranes. Since this structure will be airtight and there's some mass to it it will also help with the soundproofing.

On these walls a new ceiling will be added, with similar construction materials/methods to the wall. The shown ceiling in drywall is just there for mass and it's mounted on the outside concrete shell.

Our job site is still open and unsecure so we have to load and unload all tools everyday. Luckily we're running everything on batteries and can easily roll tools in and out. In the next few weeks we'll have all the windows and gates on the complex and by then we'll be able to have a secure and fixed job site - which will help speed up the construction.

Old 13th June 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Love your attention to detail. And the wood quality looks superb, which as you know definitely helps when building a structure such as this with accuracy and preciseness. Looking great!
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Love your attention to detail. And the wood quality looks superb, which as you know definitely helps when building a structure such as this with accuracy and preciseness. Looking great!
Thanks!
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

This looks very promising. I wish you the best of luck and I hope I can visit soon

Abraços de Portugal!
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Ola Joao, Miguel e Claudio,
what I see is "magnifico"! Simply great!
I reminds me at the time, when I buildet up Studios in Berlin and elsewhere. Therefore I know, what you are doing and what you are carry with you at the moment.
You are not alone ;-) In a few weeks I come to Portugal and I would like to visit you.
Perhaps I can give you some help or bring some cold Beers from Germany. My best wishes are with you.
Abraco, Pete Largo
Old 2nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Hey Joao, looks great man!
I’m just at the beginning of building a new studio. Yesterday they started digging for the foundation of the building. I’ll start a dairy soon here!

Quick question... how are you going to place your low frequentie absorption? Panels or within the walls?

Best regards,
Quintijn Verhoef
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Largo View Post
Ola Joao, Miguel e Claudio,
what I see is "magnifico"! Simply great!
I reminds me at the time, when I buildet up Studios in Berlin and elsewhere. Therefore I know, what you are doing and what you are carry with you at the moment.
You are not alone ;-) In a few weeks I come to Portugal and I would like to visit you.
Perhaps I can give you some help or bring some cold Beers from Germany. My best wishes are with you.
Abraco, Pete Largo

Hi Pete! Thanks so much for the kind words

We are insanely busy as you may imagine, but let us know when you're around and we'll have a drink.

Abraço
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent Rec. View Post
Hey Joao, looks great man!
I’m just at the beginning of building a new studio. Yesterday they started digging for the foundation of the building. I’ll start a dairy soon here!

Quick question... how are you going to place your low frequentie absorption? Panels or within the walls?

Best regards,
Quintijn Verhoef
Hi Quintijn,

Exciting! Looking forward to your diary

Regarding your question, the framing will hold both the membranes that handle low frequency energy and the several layers of porous absorbers that deal with the rest of the spectrum. Each wall partition will have at least one membrane for LF control and they can hold up to 3 or 4 membranes per wall on specific places (ie. walls opposing mains speakers). There will be no panels in our designs unless they’re there just for aesthetic reasons in which case they’re just empty frames covered in fabric.

Let me know if you any other questions!
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

What a gigantic project! Thanks for interesting posts. I’m your follower.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search