The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio Build Diary
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Head

Studio Build Diary

Hey Guys.

Time has finally come to start sharing my studio build diary...

I've been lucky enough to get a new house on an acre plot, with delapidated outbuildings at the back. We got 'permitted development' to knock down and rebuild, so here we go!

We are having a main Studio A, control room, live room and living room (kitchen, bathroom/shower, big sofa bed), and a separate Studio B production room. About 1800 sq ft in total.

Few shots of the old buildings first (they were in a 'U' shape, which is what we decided to keep!).
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2504.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2506.jpg  

Last edited by Freemonk; 16th June 2017 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: More info added
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Head

Roof

Typical, that we had asbestos roofing (not insulation) on the buildings. A friend and I masked up set about taking it off.
2.7 tonnes.
Not. Light.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2516.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2519.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2522.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2582.jpg  
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Head

Demolition

Down she came!
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2634.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2635.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2637.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2654.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2661.jpg  

Studio Build Diary-img_2663.jpg  
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Head

Excavation

Oh lord. So much sand....

Our area is predominantly sand, lots of relandscaping my garden to save money on grab truck costs.

Any one need any sand???

We were also on a slant, so levelling out provided me with yet more sand. Up to about 200 tonnes.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2665.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2667.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2668.jpg  
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Head

Footings

Most exciting stage to date. Seeing the outline of the main studio A.

Wife posing at the end of the live room for scale.

All for this week. Materials arriving today and tomorrow for the walls.

For those interested, will be double skin breeze block (outer skin with denser block). Foundations of control room, live room and iso booth all separated with rockfloor. Concrete flooring.

The venerable Barny Barnicott is designing and building the internals.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2718.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2720.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2727.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2728.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2729.jpg  

Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Very exciting build! Your property looks lovely. Are you out in the country, and hence less in need of sound isolation?
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Very exciting build! Your property looks lovely. Are you out in the country, and hence less in need of sound isolation?
Indeed. Nearest neighbour is nearly quarter of a mile.
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Addict
Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 16th June 2017
Excellent. Thanks for sharing your build. Good fortune
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

Blocks

First round of blocks to floor level. Will be a concrete floor filled in to this, as I mentioned with rockfloor separating the live room from control room and iso booth.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2741.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2731.jpg  
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

Slutty Bits

Thought I'd share the naughty bits early...

The desk is a 48 channel 4056 (got rid of the stereo channels) G series from Olympic Studios....after some serial number digging we tracked down that it was in Studio A between 1987 to 1995. After some studio diary digging we found that this is a photo of Prince on the desk. Has had a Mark Derksen refurb, exciting stuff.

The speakers are from Miloco's Engine Room (pic attached in their full glory days). Munro M4s. Heard these a few times and cannot believe my luck in having them. I warn you though...THEY ARE HEAVY. Like 200kg with the cones in heavy...
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_0828.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_1153.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_1364.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_0790.jpg  
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Addict
Super cool! That console wasn't the one that went from Olympic to The Square was it?
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieneedham View Post
Super cool! That console wasn't the one that went from Olympic to The Square was it?
I'm not sure of the immediate history after Olympic. Know it reached France early 00s...
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

More pics? Pleeeeeze?
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Head

Walls Phase I

Up they slowly go...internal blocks first, we are using denser breeze blocks for the external walls.

For those interested, in the order the pictures show ;
Living Quarters (essentially a studio flat; shower, kitchen,table, sofa bed) - 8m x 3.6m
Live Room - 8.2 x 3.6 (will include small iso amp room, and echo chamber that will be above the iso room and corridor to the living quarters)
Control Room - 8m x 7.8m

Next year I'll be tacking on a double bedroom to the living quarters out of timber.

Studio B will be a timber frame cedar clad building next to this one, approximately 6.8m x 5.7m
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2778.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2779.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2780.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2775.jpg  
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Head

Joists

Right! Apologies for the radio silence...a week of 4am finishes in the studio left me disorganised.

So here are a few pics of the finished walls, and an view from the (rather large, and check those 2m windows!!) control room in to the long live room (not too narrow mind, 3.6m after acoustic treatment, and 8m long to the iso booth and echo chamber )

Also included is a panoramic from the 'courtyard'...which will be a basketball quarter court, with some tables and chairs about too. The left is the control room, middle is live room (both with 3m internal ceilings), and the right is living quarters (2.5m internal).

For now!

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_2862.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2863.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2865.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_2864.jpg  
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemonk View Post
Right! Apologies for the radio silence...a week of 4am finishes in the studio left me disorganised.

So here are a few pics of the finished walls, and an view from the (rather large, and check those 2m windows!!) control room in to the long live room (not too narrow mind, 3.6m after acoustic treatment, and 8m long to the iso booth and echo chamber )

Also included is a panoramic from the 'courtyard'...which will be a basketball quarter court, with some tables and chairs about too. The left is the control room, middle is live room (both with 3m internal ceilings), and the right is living quarters (2.5m internal).

For now!

C
Love the block work, and I love the wood frames for the ceiling that is a nice big open space Cant wait to see your progress !!
Old 17th August 2017
Gear Head

Watertight - ness

Hi guys,

So! We have a roof, windows and doors! Watertight no less....
This means we start internal work next Monday, while the electricity, water, waste etc are being dug. Plus the slab for Studio B being put down. (Timber frame, cedar clad production room).

The control room is a flood of natural light. Big 2m window in front of the mixing desk area, and one or the side, with a cheeky skylight above the back sofa.

Here are a few pics. Exciting two months ahead!

Peace n Love

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3108.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3109.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3129.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3131.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3132.jpg  

Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

Good to see you're not putting too much money into this . . . .
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Head

Electrics/Studs

So while the 'pro' builders get on with digging the services trenches and rendering etc, we have decided to get on with the internal work...

First order was the lighting ring. Tedious stuff. Especially the living area, more ham the studio rooms to be honest. Then mains, Ethernet etc for living area -- all cabling only.

We then did the dividing walls in prep for our sound test, (PLEASE be one layer of soundboard not two!!). So the 'soundlock/iso 1' between the control Room and live room, wall between the live room and living quarters and the bathroom too.

Next will be putting rock wool in the joists 3m up in the air, oh the joys we go to, all to save some money.

Peace for now

C

P.S. A delivery man error meant carrying 43kg 3m soundboards about 150m up the drive to the studio by hand, two people to a board. About 160 boards....
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3216.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3260.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3261.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3262.jpg  
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Head

Soundboard/Rockwool

Stage 'heavy ass s***'

Did all the ceiling rockwool myself over 2 days fully suited, then the big 3m 43kg soundboards have gone up on the walls...

Also -- outside render has been done in 'limestone white'...feeling less like a dream!

Ceiling next!!

For now

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3310.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3372.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3373.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3374.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3375.jpg  

Studio Build Diary-img_3377.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3378.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3379.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3380.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3382.jpg  

Old 8th September 2017
Lives for Jesus

Thumbs up

Looks GREAT !!!!

You guys are moving along Fast !!
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Head

Speaker Wall

Right so we are well underway...first layer of soundboard done, ceilings nearly boarded up, machine room and living area plasterboarded...

Excitingly we have started the front wall for my Munros, including a small bed sized sofa in-between the speakers to look out the window and contemplate where all my money went!

For now

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3417.jpg  
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Old 17th October 2017
Gear Head

Speakers

So we painted the big old Munro M4s and NS10s. We did this so early because of one reason...space. Simply no where to put these mothers, and they had to face upright for the 'Jackson Pollock' effect we wanted.
Testing and wiring them this week and putting them in the walls, covering them and then getting on with plasterboarding for a flush speaker wall finish...

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3548.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3557.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3563.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3567.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3568.jpg  

Studio Build Diary-img_3569.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3572.jpg  
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Head

Studio B - Slab

Studio B's slab has also now gone down. Back breaking work, decided to mix the concrete ourselves to save money.
Wouldn't recommend shovelling 27 tonnes of sand!! 8am till 9pm graft.

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3612.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3614.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3616.jpg  
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Head

Studio B

I'll put up pictures of Studio A progress soon...

In the meantime, Studio B now exists as a structure! Timber frame this time. 6.4m x 5.3m...

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3773.jpg  
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Head

Speakers

This week was mainly about getting these mother&£[email protected]&$%#* Munros in to their resting place...
At 160kg each, this was less than fun, but having heard them in the Engine Room every back ache was worth it.

The control room and living area are now ready for skimming by a plasterer (not attempting that!), then the raised floor of the control room goes down, finishing the ceiling cloud, then on to the live room!

For now

C
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build Diary-img_3745.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3785.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3786.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3788.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3789.jpg  

Studio Build Diary-img_3790.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3799.jpg   Studio Build Diary-img_3804.jpg  
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

looking great!
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Too bad you have such a crappy view . . . .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search