The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building my own studio in a basement
Old 22nd October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders F View Post
How come you think it might be a problem? Just because I´m building in a basement? or is it something else you´re thinking of?

Cheers!
Correct. Radon seeps from underground and concentrates in basements. If you don't live in a prevalent zone you have nothing to worry about. Where I live there's the susceptibility. I had my basement tested and had to install an Radon abatement system to exhaust the dangerous gas. It's usually not a problem but the danger exists when the gas builds up with nowhere to go.
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Correct. Radon seeps from underground and concentrates in basements. If you don't live in a prevalent zone you have nothing to worry about. Where I live there's the susceptibility. I had my basement tested and had to install an Radon abatement system to exhaust the dangerous gas. It's usually not a problem but the danger exists when the gas builds up with nowhere to go.
Thanks for pointing it out. It might be a good thing to test in the future cause I don´t know if it´s ever done here. Gonna find out some more about the case :-)
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac

New wallpaper :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3507.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3508.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3509.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3510.jpg  
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

Just read through , looks great looking foreword to see it all come together!
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalspark View Post
Just read through , looks great looking foreword to see it all come together!
Thanks! Yeah, just ordered the sub so we can use it when we are doing the new measurements. I´m gonna have genelec 8030 (Had them from before) nad just add a genelec 7351 to that :-)
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Just a note! The diffusors in the windows haven´t Claes said I should out there. They were leftovers that I put there until I know if I should throw them away or do something else with them
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Frame in place
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3526.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3527.jpg  
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Starting to look good I think :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3532.jpg  
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Addict

Looks good indeed. When completely finished I'd love to see a before and after from the first photo to the last. Awesome.
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawbak View Post
Looks good indeed. When completely finished I'd love to see a before and after from the first photo to the last. Awesome.
Yeah, I will do a slideshow :-)
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

The genelec 7350 apm has arrived. Next sunday we are doing the measurements.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Time to do some painting before Claes comes next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3534.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3538.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2017
That was an incredible read. I got confused further on though. Did you paint the absorption panels white, including the cloth? Or did you build some kind of encasement for them to go in? If so, what's the white solid surface? I thought they needed to be cloth for the most part, or are you okay with reflecting some high frequencies? Is it a thin material to only allow deeper frequencies through?

I'm sure it sounds amazing, but I want you to know that it LOOKS amazing too
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledger Note View Post
That was an incredible read. I got confused further on though. Did you paint the absorption panels white, including the cloth? Or did you build some kind of encasement for them to go in? If so, what's the white solid surface? I thought they needed to be cloth for the most part, or are you okay with reflecting some high frequencies? Is it a thin material to only allow deeper frequencies through?

I'm sure it sounds amazing, but I want you to know that it LOOKS amazing too
Hi and thanks!

The absorption panels has Ecophon wall a super G and behind that som medium density wool and on the backside some fabric. The surface on Ecophon plates is, if I remember correctly and express myself correct in english, glassfiber. From my point of view as a engineer I felt they gave some air to the room, if I would guess, because some HF reflections, but I cant tell you for sure :-) The thickness of Ecophon is 40mm and the wool behind it is 70mm.

See picture for spec on Ecophon. I have super G

best regards!
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-ecophon-akusto-wall-.jpg  
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Painting is moving forward quite fast :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3544.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3548.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3546.jpg  
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Just for information to all you who read this. Claes had to go to the other side of our country the day after we planed to do the measurements so he is coming the 18:th instead and we will mount the panels and do the measurements :-)
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

And now the painting is done :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3559.jpg  
Old 10th November 2017
first of all congrats to your build it's really inspiring!
would it have been a problem if you wouldn't have covered up the bottom part and the traps with this Ecophon thingy? I mean does it make any difference in absorbing (is it really needed) or is just a cosmetic cover up for the traps?
thanks
Old 10th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegodbe View Post
first of all congrats to your build it's really inspiring!
would it have been a problem if you wouldn't have covered up the bottom part and the traps with this Ecophon thingy? I mean does it make any difference in absorbing (is it really needed) or is just a cosmetic cover up for the traps?
thanks
Hi and thanks!

The bottom part is not Ecophon. All the tunnels are white painted 22mm MDF in two sizes 200mm and 300mm. Since all the tunnels are totally sealed Claes is gonna be able to use a sort of Helmholtz around the whole room basicly to tune the bass when he´s doing final measurements next week.

On the upper part of the room the front wall and back wall was something he intended to use Ecophon from the very first beginning and he was quite meticulous (hope I use the right word there) about it and the space between them and the wool and exactly which one to use, so I think he had it in his calculations all the time.

The side walls was first of all just intended to have wool in frames that I alreday had from previous apartment. But when I ordered the ecophon I got the double of what I thought so I had so much left so i called Claes and asked if we should used it. A week later he had done the calculations and said that we should, if I placed the other wool behind it. Everything is calculations :-)

Hopefully I answered your questions :-)
Old 16th November 2017
Congrats ! Looks very sleak and clean. How does it sound ?
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezibelzebub View Post
Congrats ! Looks very sleak and clean. How does it sound ?
Under the diffusors I think it sounds really good. In the back of the room it sounds like I have a small problem about 600-700hz and I guess it is between the ceiling and the floor. But We are gonna solve that this weekend. This weekend Claes is coming and we are gonna do the measurements to see how it sounds and also tune the helmholtz around the room after the measurements. Will post it as soon as I get it from Claes :-)
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Claes in action. Here he is calculating the tunnels. Now we are actually done. Yeah, you heard me! Claes and I are happy with the results. Pictures and measurements will be posted as soon as I get them.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3601.jpg  
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Here is a drive folder with all pictures from the construction.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...U9rM2JxcF9nOGs
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Maniac

here are the results :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-skarmavbild-2017-11-20-kl.-22.13.53.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-skarmavbild-2017-11-20-kl.-22.14.37.jpg  
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Maniac

here is the results in high res pdf :-)
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

some pictures of the final room. more pictures might come :-) Gonna fix racks and a new desk and so on :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-studio-141.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-studio-142.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Looks, and I bet it sounds great. Enjoy making music in that room.
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynngraber View Post
Looks, and I bet it sounds great. Enjoy making music in that room.
Thanks! Yeah, I really enjoy it!
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Anders!

I like your craftmanship! Extraordinary!
And thanks a lot for all the nice pictures plus measurements!

The decay curves looks fine. (IMHO That’s where most people fail...)

I guess this room will be a useful tool in the making of hit records

All the best
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
Hi Anders!

I like your craftmanship! Extraordinary!
And thanks a lot for all the nice pictures plus measurements!

The decay curves looks fine. (IMHO That’s where most people fail...)

I guess this room will be a useful tool in the making of hit records

All the best
Thanks akebrake! Yeah, the RT60 is by the book in this room :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search