The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building my own studio in a basement
Old 14th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Saint? Gobain...... Hmmmm. Holy Tile Batman....
Just a caution. Ceiling tiles tend to have two purposes and two specs. They have Alpha, Absorption, and often another opposite characteristic, Blocking. This is achieved usually by a layer of plastic or whatever, something impermeable. Blocking is often used when the ceiling covers an overhead shared void, say between offices. You need a fibre core tile with a tissue like material on the surface. I have seen felt like fibre. Autex have a polyester tile with a nice poly felt material on the surface.

DD
Don´t know if I understand exactly everything you wrote now, but I know he use a certain Ecophon and I couldnt just use anything, so to get the exact right one he ordered it to me :-)
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Brilliant design, I might borrow a thing or two.Looks great and performs even better...
Light

Temple
Old 16th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Brilliant design, I might borrow a thing or two.Looks great and performs even better...
Light

Temple
Thanks!! Just borrow as much as you want :-) all cred to Claes Olsson at eora sound for the design.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders F View Post
Don´t know if I understand exactly everything you wrote now, but I know he use a certain Ecophon and I couldnt just use anything, so to get the exact right one he ordered it to me :-)
It usually says on the label which type it is. Ecophone is "just" a trademark. Is it Gedina A from them (?), in that case the facing is sound transparent, density about 6 lbs/ft³ / 96 kg/m³ if I remember correctly.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
It usually says on the label which type it is. Ecophone is "just" a trademark. Is it Gedina A from them (?), in that case the facing is sound transparent, density about 6 lbs/ft³ / 96 kg/m³ if I remember correctly.
Hi. No, it´s not Gedina. It is Super G Wall A 40mm if I remember correctly, gonna check the label later :-)

EDIT: I have checked some more and I think I have Akusto Wall A (gonna check the label), Super G is the front material which is fiberglass.

http://www.ecophon.com/sv/produkter/...kusto--Wall-A/
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

And we continue with the front Wall. Hopefully the front wall will be all done tomorrow. Bye the way it is Ecophon Akusto Wall A Super G 40mm
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3155.jpg  
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Maniac

The final front Wall!!!! Woho!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3168.jpg  
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi. Sorry for not updating for a while. But I´m currently building a lot of 2d diffusors so it´s taking some time and I thought that would not be interesting before it´s all done :-) But stay tuned!
Old 2nd September 2017
Gear Maniac

1179 pieces done. Just gonna put on the frame and put them in the ceiling. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3354.jpg  
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Maniac

1 frame done. 8 to go :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3357.jpg  
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Maniac

All the frames are done. I had a carpenter at home that´s gonna help me out this up in the ceiling so it not gonna fall down on my head :-) It´s at least 90-100kg weight. This weekend I will start to build my cloud and the absorbers that´s gonna be on the sidewalls.

Best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-fil-000.jpg  
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Maniac

For the ceiling in the front Wall:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3401.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3402.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_3407.jpg  
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Head

The diffusors are looking great!!

The last post though: I can't workout how that last piece goes together... Does the item in the 2nd picture slot into the frame in the 1st picture? And what is below the rockwool?

Thanks
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplift123 View Post
The diffusors are looking great!!

The last post though: I can't workout how that last piece goes together... Does the item in the 2nd picture slot into the frame in the 1st picture? And what is below the rockwool?

Thanks
Hi and thanks! The frame holds one piece of Ecophon Wall A Super G 40mm. After that 70mm wool with density about 30kg/m3 and at last just some fabric to cover the backside :-)
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Absorber in place in the ceiling. The angel might change when Claes sees it :-). The absorbers on the sidewall is gonna change to be in the same design. So the black ones is gonna go :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3414.jpg  
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Diffusors mounted in the ceiling :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3431.jpg  
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Diffusors mounted in the ceiling :-)

I thought it was a no no to put diffusion this close to your head.
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynngraber View Post
I thought it was a no no to put diffusion this close to your head.
Yes. But according to Claes there is a differens between 1d and 2d in this case.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. But according to Claes there is a differens between 1d and 2d in this case.
This is good to know.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Just some frames for the side Wall absorbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3434.jpg  
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
Hopefully that pic of your frames, will inspire me to build some before my garage gets too cold to work in. I have 7 O-W 703 panels that are almost 4" thick and ought to build some frames, even though I don't have space to put them all up. 3 would give me a start.

Is your listening position at the 38% spot in your room? It seems like you have enough room to bring your speakers closer or rather away from the wall. It's hard to picture the rest of your room and I don't recall if you mentioned dimensions for it.

Looking good!
Michael
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
Hopefully that pic of your frames, will inspire me to build some before my garage gets too cold to work in. I have 7 O-W 703 panels that are almost 4" thick and ought to build some frames, even though I don't have space to put them all up. 3 would give me a start.

Is your listening position at the 38% spot in your room? It seems like you have enough room to bring your speakers closer or rather away from the wall. It's hard to picture the rest of your room and I don't recall if you mentioned dimensions for it.

Looking good!
Michael
Glad you got inspired!! Just build! Once you got started it goes forward quite fast :-)

According to Claes that 38% rule didn´t make any sense when I mentioned it for him, since every room is different so you need to measure your listening postition :-) The whole room dimension is 3,30 X 6,40 x 2,02 (W,L,H), If I follow that we place the speakers in the corners. The space between the monitors is about 160cm witch gives me a listening position @ 266cm since the new wall is approx 40cm thick. That places me about 41,5% of the old room dimensions. But we´ll see where the final listening position is when Claes does the measurements. :-)
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
Thanks. I look forward to hearing about the results. I've yet to have a room with that much treatment, but hope to realize one soon.
Michael
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
Thanks. I look forward to hearing about the results. I've yet to have a room with that much treatment, but hope to realize one soon.
Michael
Yeah, I'm looking forward to see the measurements.

One thing when doing this type of construction is to have a good and realistic budget and more time to såend than you thought from the start.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac

1 done. 9 to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3463.jpg  
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac

4 done. But just realize I had Ecophon to build 20 instad of 10 as I first thought :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3470.jpg  
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Final picture for this evening. Dont know exactly how Claes want the placement så take it for that I just put em in there till Claes comes and do the measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_3477.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Maniac

Ok, 8 abosrbers done and that´s enough according to Claes for him to come and do new measurements, so now we just gonna find the time and new results will be posted as soon as I can :-) We are also gonna install the sub in the system at the same time. Looking forward to this!
Old 22nd October 2017
Depending on what part of the country you're living in, it would pay to get a Radon gas assessment test done. You can find maps on Google where Radon is prevalent.

Cheers!
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Depending on what part of the country you're living in, it would pay to get a Radon gas assessment test done. You can find maps on Google where Radon is prevalent.

Cheers!
How come you think it might be a problem? Just because I´m building in a basement? or is it something else you´re thinking of?

Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search