The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
June Audio Recording Studios - A Wes Lachot studio in Provo, Utah
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The past few weeks have been mostly filled with painting, which seems a bit boring to post about, but things are progressing and we should be ready mid-June for Brett Acoustics to arrive for the installation of the finish acoustic materials, followed by Thom Canova to wire up the place and get things turned on.

We had a visitor arrive this week, we named him Rabbit Redford. We also named him Rabbit DeNiro and Rabbit California, we had a hard time finding consensus. I have no idea where he came from or where he has gone to since. Regardless, I posted this photo on instagram with the sarcastic caption “Upgrade for the new studio” which actually prompted a visit from some local Peta chapter who came to let us know that we shouldn’t have a rabbit as a mascot for a downtown business. This actually happened.

Sealing the concrete block for moisture.

The metal work on the three outer door canopies was completed.

In order to keep the building level, and due to the slope of the lot, the rear of the building is a few feet high. Things will rise a bit with the new asphalt, but we still need a ramp for loading gear in the back. We thought about the longest piece of gear that may need to be loaded in on a semi-regular basis and came up with an 8x10 bass cabinet. We measured how long a person pulling a cabinet like that is, from feet to the rear of the cabinet, and tried to make a landing and slope that would make that kind of load in as easy as possible.

Painting has been the bulk of the work done over the past weeks. This is the sound lock between the hallway and studio 1.

The door from control room 2 into machine room 2.

Painting the iso booth doors in tracking room 1.

Doors are taped up and now painting the walls and ceiling begins.

Out in the lobby the metal work has been painted. Believe it or not the beams were painted with the same color as the dark stripe on the house. We are still trying to figure this one out, but we think it comes down to the different materials the paint is on, as well as the weathering that this side of the house has endured over the past few years. In any case the house will be re-painted, so fingers-crossed everything should match in the end.

The lobby looking back toward the bathrooms and the studios.

Control room 1 painted - the only drywall surface that will show in here is the ceiling, so although it doesn’t look it, this room is nearly complete and ready for Tony Brett and his crew. The front wall will get a wood veneer and nearly everything else will be covered with fabric.

Control room 1 from the other side.

Control room 1 from where the couch will sit.

Tracking room 1 with paint complete.

Looking out of one of the iso booths in tracking room 1.

Looking back toward the control room from tracking room 1.

Tracking room 1 will be much darker in color. Here the ceiling and above-soffit wall are painted, the walls below the soffit will be painted tomorrow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaudio View Post
Regardless, I posted this photo on instagram with the sarcastic caption “Upgrade for the new studio” which actually prompted a visit from some local Peta chapter who came to let us know that we shouldn’t have a rabbit as a mascot for a downtown business. This actually happened.
So insensitive of you.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lol re Peta. Ridiculous.

I hereby second that it is a very appropriate time for:
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm seriously curious about the issue of using a rabbit for a business. I'm trying really hard to imagine a problem here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Well we dont have gates installed yet outside, so Rabbit Redford would be able to run right into the road, plus we are right downtown, so its busy? I really have no idea.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Something tells me that Provo PETA is probably even more obnoxious than other PETA's. Make sure you post no pictures of the deer and other creatures that tend to wander the streets.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It might be a mistake to update this tonight, to be honest the past few days, especially this weekend, have been tough with new problems popping up as well as a pretty big speed bump coming from the bank. Nothing to do but keep moving forward, but the magnitude of the business change we are heading into, as well as just how long it’s taking is wearing. I wish I was independently wealthy and the build was something we could fund ourselves and not have to worry over quite so much, but the truth is we got a loan, a big loan, and we still are having to come up with a bunch of money to finish this outside of the loan. When the asphalt out back is going to cost $3000 more than expected, or we need to buy another $800 patchbay, coming up with that money is getting really difficult.

Ok, enough complaining, things are moving forward and surely someday this will be finished, right?

Painting continues with the (now interior) exterior walls of the house. The dark color in this photo, which is a Benjamin Moore color called French Beret, is supposed to be the same as what is on the entire exterior of the house, at least that is the color it was supposed to have been painted when we did that two years ago. You can see the color as it is on the outside in the photo below.

I don’t know if the paint has just faded over the years or if the wrong paint was used originally but regardless the colors don’t even come close to matching and now I’m a bit stumped as to what to do. I used that same color through the building for all the metal beams, doors and mezzanine in the instrument room so it can’t really be changed, but I don’t love the way it looks and I really don’t want to introduce yet another color to the lobby area. I know it must sound trivial but it’s important to me and I really want to get all the colors right.

It turns out that we didn’t really end up with the greatest drywall crew when the hallway down the middle of the building was done. The painters did what they could by painting 5-6 coats and trying to even things out, but our contractor is still very dissatisfied with the way its turned out and at this point there is a plan to have the drywall contractor come back, re-skim the entire hallway, sand it all and then paint it again. Honestly Im not sure I really care, but of course if it could be better and doesn’t cost more I suppose we should do it, but I’M REALLY SICK OF DRYWALL DUST!

The most exciting thing this week was definitely the arrival and installation of the hickory flooring in studio 1. This photo is looking out of one of the iso booths in studio 1 toward the control room.

Studio 1 toward the iso booths.

Control room 1

Tracking room 2 painting is finished with the exception of the iso booth. The flooring has just been started here but will most likely be finished in a few days.

Wish me luck, I feel Im going to need it for the last few months of this project.
Old 2 weeks ago
I wish you the best of luck and hope the speedbumps flattens out very soon
It looks great!
All the best.
Old 2 weeks ago
SRS
Lives for gear

For the color mis-match issue, I would just color match whichever one you want to match it to. In this day and age, they can color match pretty much anything from about a quarter-sized piece of a sample. Just take in a small bit of the actual painted surface and they can match it dead on. if you want it to match, this is the best way I know of.

For the huge flat wall surfaces in that hallway, they could texture it with many different variations (knock-down or otherwise). That large of a flat surface and that tall, it will be virtually impossible to get a dead-flat surface as you look down it, especially with lighting/sunlight. And gloss, semi-gloss paint will make that unevenness even more noticeable. Flatter the paint (low gloss) the less noticeable the surface variation. If your drywall crew is coming out, I would have them do a knock-down texture and the unevenness will then be less or not noticeable at all. And then with wall hangings and such (think platinum records and tapestries) the wall will simply be a wall. My 2 cents...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

While the speed bumps in the process may be frustrating, you are on the home stretch. This project is so close to being finished and I can't wait to see the results! Keep pushing!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

You’ve always been there for me Mr Ass
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Things are still moving forward, we anticipate Tony Brett and his crew will be back in a few weeks, followed by Thom Canova, so our contractor is working on making sure everything is prepared for them.

This week brought with it the culmination of a dream I’ve had since I first owned this house 20 years ago, rain gutters.

Isolated ground outlets going into tracking room 1. You can also see the audio lines coming out of the wall waiting for the mic/tie line box to be built.

Track lighting going in the lobby.

The electricians sorting through a delivery of lighting fixtures in tracking room 1. The floors have been covered to protect them through the completion of the build.

Track lighting hanging in tracking room 1.

It feels official having our own exit sign at the end of the hallway.

The painters prepping the metal in the instrument room for paint.

After two coats of paint the metal is ready to be covered up so the walls and ceiling can be painted.

We had an unusual session this week which required more lounge space than is available in the house, so we did some serious cleaning in the new lobby and brought in some old furniture.

This is most of the crew from the session - not the studio crew but the podcast crew as well as comedian Louie Anderson who was flown in for the recording.

The floors in studio 2 are finished now.

Covering the floors in control room 1, the parts for the Overly doors are painted and standing against the wall, the off-white ones for studio 1, the grey for studio 2.

Work on the hallway continues. A crew came and skimmed the entire wall with mud.

After the first coat was sanded a second coat was applied and sanded. Hopefully this will be the last drywall work.

The security company began to install the exterior cameras.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Hmmmm, have to get you and your fam on the lake to ease some stress. Looking great! Can't wait for another tour.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search