The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
June Audio Recording Studios - A Wes Lachot studio in Provo, Utah
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Old 26th March 2019
Really looking forward to this becoming done, and see the result
All the best.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Sheet rock and landscaping this week. They are nearly done with the third layer of sheetrock everywhere now so I suspect they will start working on the ceilings soon.

Turns out hanging the 3rd layer of sheet rock looks a lot like hanging the 2nd layer. What is really notable in this photo however is just how sketchy it is to be standing on a piece of wood resting on a ladder leaning against a wall 16 feet up.

Another sketchy drywall hanging invention.

Third layer going up in tracking room 1.

The lobby sheetrock is coming along as well as the studios. This is looking toward the bathroom and the hallway to the studios.

Track going up in the sound lock into control room 2. The drywallers ran out of the iso clips so a few smaller spaces, iso booths, have yet to even get the track, not to mention a single layer of sheetrock.

Looking out of control room 1 you can see the 3 layers of sheetrock between the window and the speaker cutout.

Tracking room 1 looking toward the window into control room 1.

Control room 2 and machine room 2. The speaker boxes have not been cut out of the front wall yet.

3rd layer going up in the studio 2 iso booth.

One of the drywall crew workers spends his entire day cleaning up behind the guys hanging the sheets. Still, every day the hallway goes from empty to this.

Sheetrock was already hung in this area above the lobby. You can see the remains of the old house up behind the steel beam. The roof continues to leak and despite days of trying they have yet to track the entry point down. So they’ve torn the sheetrock down to do more investigating.

Flooding the roof above the lobby to try and find the leak.

My son Brenden came back to finish the welding on the fire pit which is now ready to head off to powder coating.

Landscapers were back adding lighting, and working on the fence.

The fence looks great and I’m really happy with the way the front yard is starting to feel. Looking forward to the plants growing in.

Old 2nd April 2019
So nice to see another epic build thread of this magnitude. OP, this is just outstanding so far, best of luck to you as you continue to move forward.

I must admit some envy regarding your very nice mic locker.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

really looking nice! Should be an awesome space.
Old 4th April 2019
I love these updates Scott!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Was wondering what you have been up to! Really glad to see you getting this project together. So glad that when I started my build in 2013 that we were able to find a building for sale on Music Row here in Tacoma so we didn't have to fight some of the battles you have been through. Your tenacity is impressive!
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

good luck with the project cant wait too see the final studio
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Things are continuing along, mostly landscaping and sheetrock again this week although they made some strides with HVAC as well.

Definitely one of the highlights was getting to see the new entrance without an outhouse in the way. I’m really happy with the way this is shaping up, we still have some trellises to install as well as some patio furniture to dress things up.

Still waiting on the gates and some more sod but the landscaping is nearly complete.

To make myself feel better about our progress I’m including some photos of the same area from last September.

Jared (superintendent) and I have been discussing how to clean up the large opening between the new space and the house. We had pretty much settled on the idea that we would need to bring in some sort of masonry saw and make a huge mess in order to clean up the brick around the edges and make it so we could trim it out. One day the masons happened to be around and told us that with this adobe brick a simple chisel and hammer would take care of anything we needed done. Much easier and also a little disconcerting.

HVAC duct coming into the space above control room 2. It’s a very tricky space to maneuver the ductwork through as they need to stay clear of the wire hanging from the trusses that will hold the ceiling structure.

It took a few days of working and re-working, not to mention a very close call when the scaffolding fell over and took one of the workers down with it, but they got things routed and ready for the ceiling to be built. You can see the feed and the return ducts as well as smaller ductwork coming off up high to feed the studio 2 machine room.

The same basic ductwork seen above control room 1.

Duct work leading in to tracking room 2 with the smaller lines feeding isolation booth 2.

The drywall company ran out of iso clips twice and they can be a bit tricky to come by. Once the second shipment arrived the final track was installed in the isolation booths of studio 1 allowing the final sheetrock to be hung.

Track and sheetrock going up in studio 1 isolation booths.

Drywall finished in the studio 1 iso booths. You can see the 2 layers on one side of the wall and the clips and 3 layers on the other side.

Looking out of the iso booths back toward control room 1.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaudio View Post
Things are continuing along, mostly landscaping and sheetrock again this week although they made some strides with HVAC as well.

Definitely one of the highlights was getting to see the new entrance without an outhouse in the way. I’m really happy with the way this is shaping up, we still have some trellises to install as well as some patio furniture to dress things up.

Still waiting on the gates and some more sod but the landscaping is nearly complete.

To make myself feel better about our progress I’m including some photos of the same area from last September.

Jared (superintendent) and I have been discussing how to clean up the large opening between the new space and the house. We had pretty much settled on the idea that we would need to bring in some sort of masonry saw and make a huge mess in order to clean up the brick around the edges and make it so we could trim it out. One day the masons happened to be around and told us that with this adobe brick a simple chisel and hammer would take care of anything we needed done. Much easier and also a little disconcerting.

HVAC duct coming into the space above control room 2. It’s a very tricky space to maneuver the ductwork through as they need to stay clear of the wire hanging from the trusses that will hold the ceiling structure.

It took a few days of working and re-working, not to mention a very close call when the scaffolding fell over and took one of the workers down with it, but they got things routed and ready for the ceiling to be built. You can see the feed and the return ducts as well as smaller ductwork coming off up high to feed the studio 2 machine room.

The same basic ductwork seen above control room 1.

Duct work leading in to tracking room 2 with the smaller lines feeding isolation booth 2.

The drywall company ran out of iso clips twice and they can be a bit tricky to come by. Once the second shipment arrived the final track was installed in the isolation booths of studio 1 allowing the final sheetrock to be hung.

Track and sheetrock going up in studio 1 isolation booths.

Drywall finished in the studio 1 iso booths. You can see the 2 layers on one side of the wall and the clips and 3 layers on the other side.

Looking out of the iso booths back toward control room 1.
It's looking really good, thanks so much for sharing!

What the rough dimensions of both studios?
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

thanks Joao B, been enjoying seeing your studio go up as well. Studio 1 is about 70'x25' (control room, tracking room and booths) Studio 2 is about 54'x21'
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Are things getting closer to being done? I think the end is in sight but the extra costs are mounting and I can feel that it’s going to take some real fortitude to get through these last few months. Not sure how to better explain, but at this point we just keep moving forward and hope for the best.

We got the fire pit back from powder coating and got it placed. I have the burner and rocks and stuff for inside but just can’t find time to get it all installed.

We made the decision to upgrade the hvac in the house as part of this whole process, so this week they started installing mini-split systems on both floors. The original system was quite old, noisy and very inefficient.

Setting the compressor for the house mini-splits on the roof above the new lobby.

Sheetrock in the lobby is nearly finished and ready for paint.

Lots of sheetrock sanding this week. Despite our best efforts the dust is everywhere, not just in the new building but in the house as well. Looking forward to this phase being complete.

Sheetrock ready for paint in the hallway.

The Muta hangers finally arrived from Kinetics Noise Control. These isolators are what the ceilings in the studios will hang from.

Starting to install the Muta hangers in tracking room 1. After figuring things out the guys moved pretty quickly.

The grid set up and suspended in tracking room 1. Three layers of 5/8” sheetrock will be screwed to this grid forming the ceiling of the studio.

Tracking room 1.

The crew started by hanging tracking room 1 as it was a rectangle and level, now they are moving on to control room 1 which is a sloped ceiling and not quite so full of right angles.

Setting the grid around the hvac has proved to be a bit of a hassle for the guys.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

I’m really getting sick of drywall dust. We did our best to put up plastic and keep the house safe from dust, but there is no escaping it, it is everywhere. Luckily we are getting really close to the end of this stage.

We are about a week from having most of the drywall done, with the exception of the soffits that will need to be built around the HVAC duct.

Getting the new HVAC run into the house, upstairs and down.

Our metal railing for the instrument storage room arrived and was installed this week.

We also got the railing for the stairs into the lobby from the house but they have to re-do something about it due to it not meeting ADA requirements.

The instrument room with the railing installed.

We removed the metal grid that fills this opening between the house and the new space in order to have some metal trim installed, expecting that to return tonight.

Tracking room 2 with the ceiling grid hung and ready for sheetrock.

First of three layers of sheetrock going up in tracking room 1.

First layer going up in control room 2.

Tracking room 1 layer #1 finished and starting layer #2.

Tracking room 2 ceiling complete minus final taping/mudding.

Power for lighting in the tracking room 2 soffits above the door into the sound lock.

Control room 1 sheetrock complete minus taping and mudding, and my son Truman.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
3430c83025c66ca6ed8a/1555969081070/IMG_2587.jpg?format=1500w[/IMG]
First of three layers of sheetrock going up in tracking room 1.[/I]
Do you have to have every layer inspected? I landed the *new guy* inspector and he made the call that each layer has to be inspected. It's ridiculous, we just passed our 21st drywall inspection this morning (lots of inside out walls) and at least 10 more to go...
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Do you have to have every layer inspected? I landed the *new guy* inspector and he made the call that each layer has to be inspected. It's ridiculous, we just passed our 21st drywall inspection this morning (lots of inside out walls) and at least 10 more to go...
hmm, no we haven't had to have every layer inspected thank goodness. been checking out your thread, glad to see there is someone going for it along side us.
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous!

Sorry that you have had to endure that. Hang in there!
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I skipped a week of updating because honestly, how many photos of drywall do you want to see? Well drywall time is pretty much over and we are on to more interesting things.

An unusual package arrived on a freight truck one afternoon, turns out it was our trellises from Terra Trellis.

These things were so well packed it took us ages to get them unwrapped.

The trellises mark the way to the new studio entrance, now we just need to get some vines growing on them.

We got the fire pit up and running along with the lights on the house.

The trellises, the bike rack and the landscape lighting really came together to make the yard look great. It might not make a lot of sense to some to do this much outside of the studios, after all it could be hard to draw a line between landscaping and great recordings, but the truth is that I want people to expect something extra from our studios as well as know that they are entering a place that really cares about every detail. I also think/hope that clients who spend a lot of time here will appreciate some outdoor spaces to retire to after being in the studio for hours on end.

My good friend Nick brought our window frame back and now with the extra trim around the inside. This really helps finish it and hide the rough brick opening.

This will get the same metal “picture frame” treatment on this side. The old foundation and basement opening will remain exposed although painted of course.

More drywall finishing, here in tracking room 1. Most of this will be hidden behind the cloud but the guys finished all the ceiling spaces very nice regardless.

Starting to run the ductwork in tracking room 2.

More ductwork in tracking room 2.

Tracking room 1’s ceiling finished and duct being run.

Framing the hvac duct soffits. Most of our rooms have upper soffits for the hvac duct and lower soffits which have yet to be framed. Tomorrow Tony Brett arrives again for his second trip to instruct on how to frame the lower soffits.

HVAC soffit in tracking room 1 framed and sheet rocked.
Old 6th May 2019
Looks really great there Look forward to seeing the finished studio in all its glory
Hopefully, everything goes according to plan from here on in
All the best.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

It's really coming together nicely! I can't wait to see how these next steps come together.
Old 8th May 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Looks really nice. No detail left out for sure. How about the interior lighting? What type are you putting in the Live Rooms, CRs and booths?
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Wes has a very specific lighting plan consisting of some indirect, a small amount of track lighting but mostly can lights which will be in both the soffits currently being framed and the clouds which will be installed later.
Old 8th May 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wes has a very specific lighting plan consisting of some indirect, a small amount of track lighting but mostly can lights which will be in both the soffits currently being framed and the clouds which will be installed later.
Thanks for the reply. Halogen, LED, incandescent mixed? Will you have a central lighting controller to adjust dimming and even colors if desired? Lighting is critical in studio spaces as I'm sure you'd agree. Place is coming along very nice by the way!
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

The original plans had a very extensive lighting control panel and a ton of wiring, etc. In our current location in the house up front we are using Phillips Hue LED bulbs and they have been really great, super flexible, don't cause noise when dimmed etc, so the entire new place will be Phillips Hue bulbs which can be controlled individually or in groups and can be any brightness or color. I'm hoping that we like this approach as much as I think we will!
Old 8th May 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
The original plans had a very extensive lighting control panel and a ton of wiring, etc. In our current location in the house up front we are using Phillips Hue LED bulbs and they have been really great, super flexible, don't cause noise when dimmed etc, so the entire new place will be Phillips Hue bulbs which can be controlled individually or in groups and can be any brightness or color. I'm hoping that we like this approach as much as I think we will!
Interesting you are using Hue lights, as my studio is exclusively lit by Hue lights. While not as large of studio as yours, it needed to work equally as well as any top-of-the-line lighting configuration. Every once in a while (rarely in fact) I will lose connectivity with the Hue bridge, but that is always an internet/wi-fi issue easily rectified by a quick reset. And with the Hue lights, as you know, so long as you have conventional wall switches, turning the switch off then back on returns the Hue lights to a "natural light color" 100% brightness, so as long as you have power, you are good with having light. My main concern when I designed and built my studio was if the Hue lights put out enough brightness (lumens). And I can say now after having been completed for a bit over a year now, they do. I did incorporate a few additional cans into the cloud and soffit though to ensure ample overlap coverage, with the added benefit of additional cumulative light output. You will be pleased with the Hue setup I have no doubt. You can take a look on my website as the photos show the lighting pretty clearly on there, but I am sure you know the lights and features as you have had them in operation already elsewhere. Once again, your studio is going to be fantastic when done! You are taking on a monster build and it will pay off.

Last edited by SRS; 9th May 2019 at 07:02 PM..
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Just had a look at your room, did Wes design that as well? It sure looks like one of his rooms.
Old 8th May 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just had a look at your room, did Wes design that as well? It sure looks like one of his rooms.
No. The entire structure from the ground up was designed in Sketchup and built by me.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Your wife must be a saint...
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Your wife must be a saint...
she definitely is!
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

One week has made a big difference around here. It’s really exciting to see the changes that happened this week and things really seem to be headed downhill toward the finish line now.

Tony Brett from Brett Acoustics arrived on Monday for his second trip to see how things are progressing and direct the construction of the studio soffits. We were happy to hear that the work so far met with Tony’s approval and we were good to move forward.

Tony will be back once more before things are finally finished, next time with a crew and all of our acoustic treatments and furniture.

Tuesday morning began with setting the laser to find the center line of studio 2 and start pulling measurements for the control room soffit.

Tony, on the right, has worked to implement Wes Lachot’s designs many times and it shows. He is a master of angles and the math behind the measurements and is able to explain things and get the crew on the same page quickly.

Top plate and wall ledger set in control room 2.

Wall ledger set in tracking room 1, the soffits here are much smaller than those in the control rooms and largely aesthetic.

Tuesday morning also brought the crew from Clegg Steel to finish the trim around the opening between the house and the new space.

The verticals going up in control room 2.

The soffit in control room 1 is huge and serves as a large bass trap while also hiding the hvac ducts.

Looking at the booths in tracking room 1. The simple soffits do so much to break up the boxy nature of the room and add architectural interest.

There were many fits and starts associated with getting the upper hvac soffits finished up. There is so much building going on in this area that most of the sheetrock crews that showed up would promptly leave in favor of simpler jobs. The soffits are finished now, and with the exception of some simple touch ups throughout the facility, the drywall is finished.

Soffit in control room 2 finished up.

The soffit in tracking room 2 wraps the entire room.

On Thursday the Overly acoustic doors arrived. The doors are so heavy that the installers - three big guys, have a hard time lifting them and getting them on the hinges. The solid slabs are 51db doors and the doors with windows are 47db.

Doors hung for the booths in tracking room 1.

Control room 1 with finished soffit and doors hung. At this point doors are hung through studio 1. Studio 2 doors will be hung tomorrow.

The fire pit area has been a great place for gathering and talking. Here Tony, Nick (contractor) and Jared (superintendent) plan the next few weeks and what needs to be completed before Tony’s final trip.

Tony and I took a trip down to our storage unit to have a close look at the Daking console that will be in control room 2. Brett Acoustics will be building a custom desk to surround the Daking and give it a more finished look, as well as a producers desk area in the center for a computer monitor and keyboard. After looking things over for a bit we decided that breaking the console down and shipping it to their shop in North Carolina would be better than having them try to get things right from afar based on measurements.

Friday and Saturday we took the console apart, it’s a very simple console but it still took a while to get done.

By the time things were finished the whole thing will fit in a few boxes and a few long shipping tubes. Next time we see it I’m sure this console is going to look really amazing.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Man that is going to be super sweet Congrats.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search