The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
June Audio Recording Studios - A Wes Lachot studio in Provo, Utah Consoles
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaudio View Post
deedeeyeah, those are great ideas. unfortunately we are unable to access the area up there easily due to building codes and the space needed for a proper staircase. Beyond that isolating the space up there from the studio would just be so expensive that it wouldn't be something we could do. We will of course be wiring for network and anything else that our wiring designer Thom Canova is planning on!
too bad... - put in a window nevertheless and make it a small but cool vip lounge :-)

awesome build - keep us posted and all the best for any further activities!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Lachot View Post
It's because without a ceiling there is no sense of scale. Or rather, there is an incorrect sense of scale. We judge the size of rooms by (subconciously) comparing the width to the length to the height, and getting a general sense of how each dimension compares to the other two, and more importantly how the width and the length each compare to the height. The height is the most important of the three, because it's easiest to judge, by comparing it against the height of a person (hence the term "human scale"). So a typical room with, say, a 9 foot ceiling we see as being about 1 1/2 times the height of a person. From there, it's easy to judge how the room's other two dimensions compare to human beings, which is the only thing that really matters.

But if the ceiling height is the sky, then you're comparing the width and the height to infinity, and when you do that, infinity always wins, and any width and length dimensions will look tiny. Once the height comes down from infinity to 18 ft., that large tracking room will look pretty darn big. Following this logic, I could have made it seem even bigger by bringing the height down to 12 ft., but then it wouldn't sound as good.

So it's all a matter of ratios. And of course the same is true from a sound standpoint--it's not the absolute dimensions that are most important, but the ratios of each dimension to the other dimensions, if you want a musical sounding room with even bass response.

Wes
Wes,

How do determine your monitor mounting height given the angled soffits? Does this determine your angle for the speaker soffit wall or is it the RFZ that determines the angle and you adjust monitor height based on that?
-Mark
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msenger69 View Post
Wes,

How do determine your monitor mounting height given the angled soffits? Does this determine your angle for the speaker soffit wall or is it the RFZ that determines the angle and you adjust monitor height based on that?
-Mark
The height of the monitor's acoustic center, if the walls were perpendicular to the floor, would be about 2" above ear height, or about 50". However, we angle the walls just slightly, so that they are not perpendicular to the floor, for two reasons. One is to minimize acoustic interactions with the console. The other is to keep the people in the rear of the control room on axis with the acoustic center, since a person's ears when sitting on a sofa are closer to the floor than they are when that same person is sitting at the console. This requires raising up the monitors about 8-10" in order to keep the engineer's ears exactly on axis. This is computed using the Pythagorean Theorem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Lachot View Post
The height of the monitor's acoustic center, if the walls were perpendicular to the floor, would be about 2" above ear height, or about 50". However, we angle the walls just slightly, so that they are not perpendicular to the floor, for two reasons. One is to minimize acoustic interactions with the console. The other is to keep the people in the rear of the control room on axis with the acoustic center, since a person's ears when sitting on a sofa are closer to the floor than they are when that same person is sitting at the console. This requires raising up the monitors about 8-10" in order to keep the engineer's ears exactly on axis. This is computed using the Pythagorean Theorem.
Wes,

Thanks so much! If I could pick your brain on one other technique? I’ve read your articles regarding monitoring/engineer position, ratios, sound waves in CR and understand about dealing with 3/4 wave at the monitoring position. I was hoping you might comment on how you decide on final location of monitoring position and do the CR nodes/antinodes after you’ve chosen the appropriate room ratio ultimately determine where you put the engineer? (i.e., you avoid nodes, prefer antinodes, somewhere in between or is it something else?). Thank you again for sharing your wisdom!
-Mark
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msenger69 View Post
Wes,

Thanks so much! If I could pick your brain on one other technique? I’ve read your articles regarding monitoring/engineer position, ratios, sound waves in CR and understand about dealing with 3/4 wave at the monitoring position. I was hoping you might comment on how you decide on final location of monitoring position and do the CR nodes/antinodes after you’ve chosen the appropriate room ratio ultimately determine where you put the engineer? (i.e., you avoid nodes, prefer antinodes, somewhere in between or is it something else?). Thank you again for sharing your wisdom!
-Mark
The final location of the monitoring position is determined by several (sometimes competing) factors. It has to be a percentage of the room, front-to-back, where you are missing all of the nodes for the first 6 or 8 harmonics of the room's fundamental front-to-back frequency. Plus, it has to be in a very precise relationship to the listening triangle.

The nodes have to be avoided at all costs, even if it means landing on an antinode for another harmonic. Ideally, of course, you'd like to be exactly between a node and and antinode, but that is not mathematically possible for all of the harmonics of the room modes. So we worry more about the nodes, since they can result in nulls of 50 dB, and worry less about the antinodes, since the 6dB boosts they cause is much more linear than those 50 dB nulls. You have to choose your battles.

-Wes

Last edited by Wes Lachot; 4 weeks ago at 04:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Busy week and weekend in the studio, but things continued out back in the new space. Most of the progression this week was in electrical, but there a lot of leftover framing was done, as well as many meetings regarding hvac and sheetrock.

The south side wall of tracking room 1 was sheeted which does even more to show the size of rooms and how things will feel. In the center you can see the window into the control room.

Looking out of control room 1, the sheeting helps show off just how large the windows will be and how great the view of the tracking room will be.

The electricians made some headway this week. There was some discussion as to how to mount the electrical boxes and keep them isolated from the framed walls but sitting in the sheetrock and other acoustic materials which will be mounted. The solution was to use some isolation material between the mounting hardware for the electrical and the framing.

Managed to get my son involved building a box for our new fire pit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's a big room! Nice to finally see some walls and context, that has to be a good feeling!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve been giving a lot of tours of the construction site lately. Without fail everyone asks when we expect to be finished and ready to move in. The truth is I have no idea. At one point I was hoping it would be March, now I’m hoping it’s May, but really, no idea. Honestly, for now as long as people continue to show up and work every day I’m happy.

Sheetrock began in the hallway. 2 layers of 5/8’ with staggered seems in the hallway. Both layers were taped and mudded.

HVAC work began with some duct work in the lobby. Some careful planning allowed for the ducts to live in the trusses and buy us some much appreciated ceiling height.

Some of the Samsung mini split / heat pump units.

The rails for hanging the hvac units.

All of the electrical boxes are wrapped with putty packs to help with the integrity of the sound envelope.

I know it’s kind of dumb but when these isomax clips showed up I was genuinely excited.

The clips are screwed into the studs and then the hat channel hangs in the clips. The rubber material helps isolate the sheetrock from the studs and drops the sound transmission through the walls significantly.

Iso clips and channel hung in control room 1.

Iso clips and channel hung in tracking room 1.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

There has been a lot going on over the past couple weeks, but most of it doesn’t make for great photos so Ive been a bit quiet. Problem is, if I don’t keep updating this Ill get too lazy and drop it forever (plus my dad keeps asking me for an update), so here is some of what has been going on:

We finally got our new main entrance. The lobby will be behind the glass and on this side will be a covered patio with some places to sit.

The view from in the lobby, the whole front will be glass which gives a really great view of the outhouse.

There will be a canopy over the door and a fence basically right where I’m standing that will help provide some privacy.

All four of the mini-split air handlers for the studio spaces are hung in the hallway now.

The air handlers are hung on rubber isolators and rubber pads at the end of the all-thread shafts.

Today they started on the ductwork.

Building the ducts. They are oversized and lined with fiberglass insulation.

The steel for our instrument gallery/storage room showed up today. This wasn’t originally in the plans, the room was, but not the layout and the steel, but our contractor found us some savings and with it we will finish the room. The ceilings are so high that in order to take advantage of the space we are building a mezzanine. Here you can see the stairs and the deck material.

Laying out the steel structure.

The steel beams in place - the back of the room will be the largest part of the mezzanine, with a catwalk going down the left side. The stairs will sit on the right side agains the wall.

In the past few weeks I also made the mistake of learning about the new API 2448. We currently have a 32 channel API 1608 and the plan has been to put that in the new studio 1. We typically use half our console for mic lines / front end and half for pro tools returns. The new 2448 is an inline design, meaning it has 2 input paths per channel, so we could have pro tools outputs directly above mic lines and a 32 channel console would actually yield us an additional 16 mic lines to use and an additional 16 line inputs all at the same time. So, now I’m plotting and scheming for ways to save on other equipment, current equipment we could sell and places in the construction budget where we might still find some savings. Of course the lead time on one of these consoles from API is 3-4 months, so if we want a console when the doors open we need to get on the list! More info on this to come, but if anyone is looking to buy an excellent condition, practically new API 1608 let me know!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search