The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
June Audio Recording Studios - A Wes Lachot studio in Provo, Utah
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Addict

Looks awesome! - When I lived in SLC, I had a studio by Liberty Park - had the same kind of foundation - half was river rock (bottom) and top half was sandstone. 120 year old house, still standing.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Addict

Looks great! Can't wait to see how it grows into your studio
All the best.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

So cool!

Is there an estimated date for conclusion?
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Addict

One week later and things are beginning to change - it finally looks like something is being built!

Before I get into that, one thing I forgot last week...before the footings were backfilled, Dave, one of the superintendents, remembered that I was hoping to have the ability to run a digital snake out of the building. The studio shares a block with Velour Live Music Gallery, which is the premier local music club and with a cat 5 cable as a digital snake we will be able to split the stage feed and multitrack local shows. Dave grabbed a drill and got some conduit through the stem wall so we can have a cable buried and get into the building without having to go through a door.

Monday - rough grading and compacting was completed, concrete block arrived and was laid out.

Tuesday - the walls started going up

Wednesday - more block went up until the walls reached the height of the first “lift” (four feet).

Thursday - scaffolding began to be set up and the concrete truck showed up to grout the first lift. The walls will be completely filled with concrete which is good for sound but bad for the guy who someday wants to knock the place down.

Friday - more block, got close to the second lift, including the stripes of charcoal colored block which, although likely futile, are an effort to draw attention away from just how enormous and prison-like the outside of this building is going to be.

This week we also spent time planning for landscaping, scheduling with Brett Acoustics and Canova Audio, and laying out the security and access systems.

Will we get to the top of the wall this coming week? Stay tuned to find out.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Nut

I remember recording/mixing at this location during June Audio's first time in the space. It was amazing then. This is going to take it over the top. The digital snake over to Velour may be the coolest part as it is a legendary venue that, along with June Audio, has played a huge part in the success of the Provo music scene. Bands are going to love the chance to record their live show in those two facilities.
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Addict

For those that don't know - Velour is where Imagine Dragons, Neon Trees, Lindsey Sterling, and a few others got their start while they attended BYU or UVU

Pretty cool that you're going to have a tie line to Velour.
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Addict

The walls are nearly there, the lobby area has reached the top and the studio section has 8 feet left to go. We expect the block to be finished this week, with the underground work (plumbing, electrical, audio) to follow right after.

Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Going to be fantastic!! My little project pales in comparison lol. So I imagine you are cranking trying to get a roof before winter too?
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Will you adopt me?
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BussDatAss View Post
Will you adopt me?
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Snoggin, you bet, racing against time here. I swear this is the 4th fall in a row where Ive felt like we have to race to get things done before the snow, but this time it's actually happening.

Buss, let's talk
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
So I imagine you are cranking trying to get a roof before winter too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaudio View Post
Snoggin, you bet, racing against time here. I swear this is the 4th fall in a row where Ive felt like we have to race to get things done before the snow, but this time it's actually happening.

Buss, let's talk
Winter? HAHAHAHA Plenty of time.
Snow? Before Christmas? Better chance of Prop 2 passing (medical cannabis in UTah)
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Addict

I should have been more clear, snow or not, once the temperature drops to a certain level you have to pay 'winter conditions' which in this case could add a lot to our project cost
Old 23rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Buss, let's talk
When you figure out how to explain to your family why a 23 year old black guy is sitting at your dinner table and calling you Dad, shoot me a PM and we can hammer out the details!
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Addict

We are just 3 courses of block from of the walls. There is still a large opening in the back of the building - kept there for access to the inside. That hole will be filled once the underground work starts next week.

East wall, lower section is the lobby out in front of the higher studio spaces.

Looking north toward the lobby and the house.

Today the structural steel showed up. These beams will support the weight of the roof surrounding the house - nothing will bear on the old walls, the roofs will just be tied together.

looking into the lobby through what will be the front door.

looking west down the hallway that separates the studio spaces from the old house. the white door will eventually go away and be the entry to the lounge.

Looking forward to reaching the final height on the walls tomorrow and also to beginning work on the front landscaping. Still managing to keep working in the house, mixing and recording.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

The walls are finished, well, kind of. The exception is the large hole in the back wall which remains open for equipment access.

The guys finishing the last bit of block for the east wall.

Looking down the west side of the house, the driveway and pathways are nearly set for concrete. Looking forward to having something other than dirt for clients to walk in on!

The cable coming out of the ground will feed the large transformer that the city requires. Behind you can see the beginnings of a fire pit / seating area we will be putting in the front yard.

This will be the new main entrance to the studios. I was really impressed with how the masons worked around the old eaves with the block.

Today the underground work started. This photo shows the plumbers tying into the new sewer line from the new janitor closet and bathroom. They finished most of their work today so the rest of the week should be the electricians who have a lot to do. We will also be running conduit to carry lines from the house into the studios and between the studios, as well as the lines that go from the racks to the consoles and the machine rooms.

The new lobby on the right and the studios spaces / bathroom / janitor closet on the left.

Plumbers getting the drain lines installed, door on the right is lobby into the janitor closet, door on the left is lobby into the bathroom. the large opening is lobby into the hallway which will run between studios.

Old 31st October 2018
Gear Nut

Did you sell the Trident console or are you going to incorporate it into the new studio?
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

The Trident was sold and lives in New Jersey now, our A studio will have the API 1608 and the B studio will have the Daking console we had in our last spot
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

The walls finally are tall enough to block the time-lapse cameras so it’s time to move those to a new location. Here is a time-lapse of our build thus far:

Concrete finally showed up for the front yard. It’s hard to believe how luxurious it feels to have an actual concrete path to walk on to the house, not to mention that we have a driveway to park in again!

This patio in front of the new lobby will get a pergola overhead and a tall fence to enclose the area. The current plan is to get rid of the outhouse but I’m open to suggestions.

The underground work continues. The smaller conduit is for power (many home-runs), the larger 4” pipe is for audio connections.

The pipes he is laying out will go from the trough under the console into the credenza/rack.

The ground here is very rocky which makes it difficult for running the many ground rods. It took three guys and an electric ground rod driver to get this one in.

Here you can see the all the conduit which still won’t be complete for another day or two. Ive overlayed a basic version of the plans to show where the studio rooms will lay out.
Old 6th November 2018
The outhouse should definitely stay:
- It could serve as a reminder of your humble beginnings
- Run a line out for that small, plastic room sound the youngsters are after these days
- Tell people you bought it from the SXSW festival last year - insta-cred
- All the weed smokers will have a place to relieve themselves, since weed is still illegal in Utah
- In LA it *might* help keep your property clean - not sure about there in Provo

In all seriousness, this build looks awesome!
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Man, it's looking great!

I can't wait to get to that stage in our build...
Old 6th November 2018
7+1
Lives for gear

Scott,

The place looks great and is coming together. Congrats and best of luck with everything.

Marc
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks Marc, here's to going down in a blaze of glory!
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

Looking awesome! New concrete is a beautiful thing, is it not? One question: Do your plans call for expansion joints or some other mechanism to allow relative movement where the addition meets the original house, or will everything be monolithic? I live in an old house that's been added onto in the 1940s and in the 1980s and almost all of the problems I've had have been associated with the additions moving slightly, relative to the original "core".
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

That's a great insight. We have had a lot of discussions about that. The new structure doesn't rest on the old at all, the trusses rest on steel and the roofing just ties in via flashing and the membrane, or something like that, but I do worry about where the concrete block meets the brick of the exterior on the old house.
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Addict

Things have been cooling down a lot here in Utah, todays high was 44 and the low was 24. We even had a small amount of snow the other night so we definitely need to get a roof on this place. The underground work finished up with the placement of the pipes that will carry most of the audio lines.

This is Control Room 1, or A, haven’t decided which to go with. I figure its easier to call them 1, 2 and 3 or A, B and C than other names, but I'm a bit more intrigued by numbers lately, so for now…this is control room 1. We are looking across the control room diagonally here, so the wall on the left side is the rear of the room, the pipes standing straight up on the right side of the frame will be in the front wall. The console will sit there in the middle with a trough beneath for cable to feed into, and then you can see the various pipes leading to what I've labeled.

Next this crazy truck shows up, part dump truck, part treadmill. Gravel was dumped out of the truck on to this treadmill that could go up and down, left and right and could speed up to throw gravel off at 100mph. The man on the right had a remote and just basically directed the gravel exactly where he needed it. He could get it to shoot clear across the building and land in just the spot he wanted.

They raked the gravel out and made sure it got everywhere evenly, using string lines to get the elevation correct.

Once they started shaping the spots for footings we got our first taste of how everything would really lay out. To be honest I’m a little surprised to find that the rooms seem smaller than I had imagined they would be, but a) I think that’s just fine, I mean after all how often do we need cavernous rooms and who am I to think I could afford them and b) our interior designer mentioned that things tend to feel smaller until spaces start to be more defined and some scale can be realized. This photo above is Control Room 2 and behind it, in the right side of the frame is our instrument storage room.

This may seem minor, but to be honest this cross beam that holds up the rear corner of the old house was a big deal for me. Don’t get me wrong, when an earthquake happens I still don’t want to be in the adobe-brick turn-of-the-last-century house, but at least now I don’t need to worry that its going to just decide to fall on someone one day.

With the gravel in place and the slab set to be poured, the masons showed up to fill the large hole in the back of the building.

I made another video for you this week, just a basic walk through with the gravel down so it was easy to see where the rooms laid out. I have absolutely no business using these video editing programs (premier pro, after effects) but it’s fun to mess around with, even though what should have taken someone 30 minutes took me 5 hours. Nonetheless, enjoy…

Old 14th November 2018
Gear Addict

Looking good
Can't wait for the rest
Old 15th November 2018
gwm
Gear Head

Reading this thread fills me with tremendous admiration.

I don’t know whether you mentioned this, but what is the finished square footage of the various control and live rooms? What is the finished ceiling height? Total facility sf?

Wishing you the very best in this undertaking.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for your comment. We are adding about 4300 sq feet to the house. Studio A will have our tallest ceilings, about 18 feet, the control rooms will be about 13 and studio B will be near 14. The booths, I believe, are about 10.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. We are adding about 4300 sq feet to the house. Studio A will have our tallest ceilings, about 18 feet, the control rooms will be about 13 and studio B will be near 14. The booths, I believe, are about 10.
Sounds Amazing! And I’m sure it will! Quite an undertaking in this day and age. I’m subscribed
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search