The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Makesure when you pour the slab for the floor is there is strong neoprene vapour guard to prevent ground moisture contaminating the concrete as mentioned earlier.

Oh [email protected] 16 ft high is some feat without a lift. MAybe you could find some second hand hydraulic rams on ebay that you could put on a mount to elevate them and then attach a wooden set of arms over the rams pistons to extend their reach.. lifting dry wall onto a frame 8 ft high is much easier than 16 ft!
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I'm considering doing this in one of my smaller rooms instead of putting down wood. I've been reading over all the options and came across this recently, really digging the idea and it looks fairly easy.

Paper Bag Floors – A Tutorial — Domestic Imperfection
That looks cool
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Makesure when you pour the slab for the floor is there is strong neoprene vapour guard to prevent ground moisture contaminating the concrete as mentioned earlier.

Oh [email protected] 16 ft high is some feat without a lift. MAybe you could find some second hand hydraulic rams on ebay that you could put on a mount to elevate them and then attach a wooden set of arms over the rams pistons to extend their reach.. lifting dry wall onto a frame 8 ft high is much easier than 16 ft!
Great idea !! I used a lift at Creation and about wore it out lol Ill see what I can come up with.. not good to drop Hardiflex panels.
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for Jesus

Lots of progress to report !

I have been so busy with the work its hard to post pics.. it takes like 4 try's to upload ..

Here are the Control Room and Live Room wall footings being dug.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-cr-footings-dug.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-cr-footings-dug-2.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-cr-live-room-footings-dug.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-cr-footings-dug.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-cr-footings-dug-2.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-cr-live-room-footings-dug.jpg  

Last edited by stevep; 23rd November 2016 at 06:48 AM..
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for Jesus

I finally get to do some Audio related work

I built the wire ways that run form the Control Room to the Machine room.
These run under the slab. They are 4" PVC ,5 ft long and 10" risers.

This should be more than enough for future cable needs.

I also installed Four 2" PVC pipes through the Control Room-Live Room wall to run Tie Lines to the Live Room and Iso. There will be 32 Tie Lines.

The Live Room will have 2 main Mic Panels with 12 XLRs each, and 2 Mic Panels with 4 XLRs. The first 24 Tie Lines are Normalled to the console, the last 8 show up in the patchbay.

Cue sends form the console are fed to the Live Room from the Machine room. I think I will run 3 separate Cue/Aux mixes.

Every room in the building will have Tie Lines, Cue sends and Speaker Wire connectors.

I will run Speaker Lines to all the rooms in the building for guys that want to have their speakers in the live room and play in the control room, Iso, etc...

Also I will run 2 or 3 Listen Mics and Studio Monitors for the Live Room.

( I will run extra pairs if i want to add more Cue mixes or Tie Lines in the future.)

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-1.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-2.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-3.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-1.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-2.jpg  
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for Jesus

Installing the Wire Ways from the Control Room to the Machine Room.

Hope my measurements are correct... hahaha. They should emerge from the slab 2" from each wall and the tops 2" above the slab.

In the Control Room they will be hidden by the Acoustical walls and have access by a removable panel.
In the Machine Room they will show up right below the Punch Down Blocks.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-4.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-5.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-6.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-5.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-6.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-4.jpg  

Last edited by stevep; 23rd November 2016 at 07:04 AM..
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for Jesus

This should be more than enough room for all the cables I need to run for the Console PSU, etc.., DAW Computer, Convertors, Computer cables, Tie Lines, etc... And leave plenty of room for future cable runs.

All the computers, PSUs, convertors, Cue amps, Main monitor amps, Studio Monitor amps etc... will be in the machine room.

I will run the Speaker wires separate from the Audio cables. And the AC lines will be separate.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-7.jpg

The Left side is the control room and the center is a 4ft hallway to the live room... the PVC comes up on the right side in the machine room.
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-8.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-9.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-7.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-8.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-wire-way-9.jpg  

Last edited by stevep; 25th November 2016 at 07:43 AM..
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Looking good!
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for Jesus

Looking at the Front CR wall from inside the CR...
This pic shows three of the 2" PVC that the Mic Lines, Tie Lines and Cue sends will run through.

There is also more PVC conduit ran from the Machine room to Live Room for Tie Lines, Cue sends, Listen Mics, Studio Monitors,... did I forget anything..? hahhaa

Every room in the building will have Tie Lines and Speaker Lines. Even the sound lock from the Load-In Door, That makes it easy to isolate amps/speakers or to Re-Amp tracks.

There are 2 main Mic Panels, (one under the CR window, 1-12 the other on the far wall of the LR 13-24 ) they have 12 XLRs each, and are Normalled to the Console.
The other Tie Lines show up in the Patch Bays. The XLR panels are spaced around the LR and other rooms in the building.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-tie-lies.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-tie-lies.jpg  
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Thumbs up

Fast Forward a couple weeks worth of work,... We are almost done with ALL the Block Walls

The next step is the Roof, Plaster for the walls, then the Floors. ...Then i can get to the fun part,

This is the progress as of today.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-1.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-1.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-2.jpg  
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Control Room 27'L x 21'W 15'H to soundproof ceiling.
View to Live Room,. this was a few days ago before the wall was done.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-3-view-cr.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live Room. 22'W x 34'L 15'H ceilings

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-4-live-room.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Control Room looking through the window from LR... This is the last interior block wall to finish.. it should be done today,.. We still have to pour a Beam around the top of the interior walls.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-5-cr-wall-almost-done.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-3-view-cr.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-4-live-room.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-5-cr-wall-almost-done.jpg  

Last edited by stevep; 15th December 2016 at 03:49 AM..
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for Jesus

The block wall between Control Room and Live Room is Done !! only thing left to build is a a small beam on the top of the CR walls. And finish pouring the 2 small columns.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-6-live-room-cr-wall-done.jpg

The finished window size is 7'x3' The door leads to the hallway to the Control Room

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-7-lr-wall-looking-into-cr.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-7-lr-wall-looking-into-cr.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-6-live-room-cr-wall-done.jpg  
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Finally, some walls!
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for Jesus

If anyone wants to see more pictures I add lots more to the studios facebook page
Also lots of information about the studio

Inspiration Recording Studio Facebook Page

Difference Between ADC PJ716 and ADC PJ714 Patch Cords-logo-38-custom-2-.jpg
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Hey Steve, what a cool thread!

It is the literal definition of a studio built 'from the ground up'.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm wondering about what kind of HVAC is needed/not needed for where you are?

I appreciate you posting photo updates here as I'm off the Facebook. For good this time!

Cheers

Walter
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
Hey Steve, what a cool thread!

It is the literal definition of a studio built 'from the ground up'.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm wondering about what kind of HVAC is needed/not needed for where you are?

I appreciate you posting photo updates here as I'm off the Facebook. For good this time!

Cheers

Walter
Hi Walter, thanks for the question I don't like being on Facebook much... I'm only using it to stay in touch with family and friends in the US since I am living in the Philippines now and of course more important... posting studio information and pictures.

As for the HVAC question, YES we need AC here, its super hot and humid. They don't sell HVAC units like I had at the last 2 studios,. units that cool the whole building and provide fresh air at the same time.

I have to use 'Split' type units and I have to build a Fresh Air system.

I will have separate split type units for the Live Room and Control Room, there will also be aircon in the Machine Room.

I want to get the 'Silent' type Split units, they are really quiet. and they have a remote so its easy to control them from the console

The Fresh Air system will be divided into 2 zones, One for the Control Room and One for the Live Room.
That way if I'm only mixing I don't need to run it for the Live Room and it will save wear on the fans and save electricity costs.

I cant get a ERV (energy-recovery ventilator) in the Philippines so I have to do it myself,.. if it doesn't work well or if there are problems I can order an ERV in the future.

It is a huge challenge doing studio construction here, the things we take for granted like HomeDepot/Lowes are not available.. so I have to improvise and adapt how I build.
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds like even with limited options, you know exactly what's going on.

I admire you for taking on such a challenging project!

Last edited by Sonic Lush; 3rd December 2016 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: wording
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
Sounds like even with limited options, you know exactly what's going on.

I admire you for taking on such a challenging project!
Thanks Walter, but we will see if i know what im doing.. hahahha one things for sure,,. I'm Always learning new things.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for Jesus

We are almost finished with the Block Walls,. only section is where the mixer is, hope it will be filled in this week.

Monday we will hopefully finish the small beam for the control room/live room walls.

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-1.jpg

INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-1.jpg   INSPIRATION Recording Studio - Philippines - SteveP Studio Construction Thread-2.jpg  
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Block Walls All Done !

Just a couple pics to show we finished ALL the Block Walls !!!

There is still some block work to fill in between the beam and roof on the 2 sides and then the Load In Entryway/Sound Lock... But that's only a few days work.

Next step is the Roof... that's going to be a huge challenge... But looking back at all the work already done i think the roof will go up pretty fast if i can get the funds to do it all without having to stop to get more funds.

Main Entrance

Load In Entrance

... For some reason I cant attach more pics to this thread.... I guess I reached the limit for the thread...??

Last edited by stevep; 19th December 2016 at 03:20 AM..
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Cant attach anymore pictures....
Old 26th December 2016
Here for the gear

Have you tried another browser?
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoison606 View Post
Have you tried another browser?
Thanks for the suggestion,. Yes, i tried 2 other browsers... I can attach pics to other threads, just not this one...
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

boo!
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Steve, I can't post pics to my build thread either.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
Steve, I can't post pics to my build thread either.
Thanks for letting me know,. i thought it might be just me...
The site must be limiting the attachments for each thread ? that's my guess.

I sent PM to Jules and the other mods for this section a couple weeks ago. They replied saying they are trying to fix it. Jules suggested i Email [email protected] and let them know the problem,. so i did last week,. Its the holidays now so things might be moving slow... I hope they will fix it soon

Maybe you can email them also to let them know your having the same problem. [email protected]

Old 5th January 2017
Lives for Jesus

Still cant attach pictures....
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've been posting to Facebook as well so I'll link to the pictures from Facebook on here. Not sure if that will help? I know you've been posting on Facebook as well!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm thinking there is a size limit on individual pictures? I've been getting some in on my build thread.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for Jesus

Thanks guys, ! Yes I do link to FB but I think its better to have them stored on the GS server so they will always show up in the years to come.

Jay sent me a PM so I hope the tech guys can fix this for all of us

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search