The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build
Old 20th May 2016
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for the novella below. I'll try and keep further posts more succinct.

I've been mastering full time for about four years now, and part time before that. I previously worked in the attic room of our terraced house in Leeds, UK. It was reasonably well treated with a combination of homemade panels and "brute force" packs of rockwool stacked all over (a LOT of rockwool). I added more treatment over time and my room got better and better, particularly after I bought a measurement mic and learned to use Room EQ Wizard properly.

The issue I then had was that, although I had a very accurate space, it was very difficult to work in such an environment for along periods of time. The human brain needs cues to tell it it's in a room, and not some artificial space, and without these cues the auditory system gets stressed - not a pleasant feeling. Thus the MyRoom design of Bogic Petrovic (Boggy on Gearslutz) really appealed to me - all the control of a "dead" room with none of the nasty side effects.

I contacted Boggy in early January '15. He advised on requirements for a possible new room and my long suffering wife and I began the long, stressful and boring quest to sell our old house and find a new one.

We finally moved in almost a year later: December 2015. We found a place in nearby Wakefield that is as close to perfect as it's possible to get within our budget. As well as a 3 bedroom semi detached house with a decent sized garden (essential for the afformentioned long-suffering wife) there was a very large bungalow, completely separate to the main building. Jackpot!

The building (hereafter referred to a the Bungalow) is approximately 6 x 10 meters (~20 x 33 feet), so a decent size. The main limitation is the ceiling height, which stands at around 2.4m (7' 10.5"). Luckily, the roof is pitched. The internal ceiling will be removed, replaced with air transparent diffusers, effectively leaving no ceiling, acoustically. At least that's the plan! This will reduce isolation below 200hz, but that isn't a huge problem as I will not be playing above 80-85db very often.

The main studio room will be 5.02m wide and 8.33m long, without treatment. As well as that there will be a large kicthen/summerhouse, a restroom and a small storage room. I think this place will be one of the best mastering rooms in the north of England when it's done.

Work has been going on for one five days now and things are starting to take shape. I'll be adding photos later, but just wanted to get the ball rolling with the thread.

Tom Woodhead, Hippocratic Mastering
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

You are in good hands
Old 28th May 2016
OK, finally some pics. Demolition! Pretty much all the old internal walls were removed.

Sadly the bath is gone now.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  

Old 28th May 2016
Day 2: some stud wall framing is up. The builders aren't enjoying working around all the equipment and "stuff", but I have nowhere else to store it! Things are slowly getting better in that regard.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  
Old 28th May 2016
Days 3-5 (I think): plasterboard is mostly up and some plastering is done. The ceiling has been partially removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  

Old 28th May 2016
Week 2: we lost two days at the start of the week due to a "miscommunication" with the builders .

The rest of the week has been mostly finishing off the storeroom and kitchen/summerhouse, which are both now fully plastered, clearing all the clutter (and diffuser wood!) from the studio room and doing some work in the bathroom.

On Tuesday (Monday is a public holiday in the UK) the rest of the ceiling in the studio is coming out and all the plastering should be done. After that we can start construction of the acoustic frame!
Old 31st May 2016
The ceiling is all out now. I also met with the glazier who'll be supplying the laminate glass doors today. The doors will be angled 8 degrees to prevent flutter echo (mirrored on the opposite side of the room with "dummy" doors made of glass and oak veneered MDF) so we had to make some minor changes to the door openings.

Final plastering, minor wall repairs and the start of the construction of the acoustic frame should come tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  
Old 31st May 2016
Also, apologises for the poor quality of the photographs - I'm not much of a photographer and am working with an iPhone, not a dedicated camera.
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Tom may I ask whether this bungalow was used as a rehearsal room or something before? In post #4 pic 2 it looks as if there was some ...let's say kind of treatment...installed? Thanks and best of luck for your build, looking forward for updates!
Old 6th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
Tom may I ask whether this bungalow was used as a rehearsal room or something before? In post #4 pic 2 it looks as if there was some ...let's say kind of treatment...installed? Thanks and best of luck for your build, looking forward for updates!
That's some of the treatment from my old studio - I was working in one room in the building temporarily for about 6 months (a former gym) while we prepared for the build - it's currently stored in the kitchen as I have nowhere else to put it, but I'll probably sell it when I can get around to it.

Bofore we bought the house the building was intended as a "granny flat" for an elderly relative of the previous owners. Sadly she dies before moving in. Before that I think it had been used as both a gym and a storage area for the owner's sunbed business. It's seen a few changes, for sure!
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Ah, I see! Thanks and again, all the best for your journey!
Old 8th June 2016
Some more images from the last few days. I haven't taken any today, but things are progressing well.

Variable warmth LED strip arrived from Germany. This will allow me to have brighter, more daylight-like light in the daytime and warmer, more relaxing light at the end of the day/if relaxing in the studio in the evening. Each wall will have its own strip that will be individually controllable, though I might link the left and right. I plan to add covers to diffuse the lights, as well, as I'm not a fan of the glare when looking directly at LED strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 8th June 2016
Back wall frame, filled with Knauf Acoustic Roll. Note the angled sections below: these will be covered with tongue and groove cladding, and the angle will prevent flutter echo. Most of the rest of the wall (as with all surfaces except the floor) will be covered with an air transparent 2d diffuser.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 8th June 2016
Left side frame. This has since been filled with insulation. I haven't posted any photos of the front wall frame yet as the glare from the windows makes taking decent photographs difficult.

More pics to come in the coming days - all wall frames should be completed and filled with insulation by Friday, when self levelling compound will be applied to the concrete floor and left to dry over the weekend.

Things are coming together!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 10th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks for sharing the build out. Pretty cool!
Old 10th June 2016
No problem!

Left and right frames are nearly complete now. One layer of Rockwool is in - this will be covered with another, thinner layer of knauf rs45, which has been ordered and should arrive next week.

I've also attached a shot of the front wall frame, but the light from the widows makes it difficult to get a good shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg   Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  
Old 11th June 2016
Lives for gear

I just found this Tom, great project. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.
Old 11th June 2016
Thanks Ed!

The studio floor has been flooded with self levelling compound and left to dry over the weekend. Pics to follow.
Old 12th June 2016
Some shots of the drying floor. I haven't stepped on it yet...
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Hippocratic Mastering; 14th June 2016 at 09:05 PM..
Old 14th June 2016
The frame for the ceiling is about 2/3 done. Chipboard panels are in place on the back wall - these still need to be sealed with caulk.

Tomorrow we should finish the ceiling frame and, hopefully, get all the rest of the wall frames finished, with chipboard and additional battens where appropriate, and side walls fully filled with insulation.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 21st June 2016
The frame is all finished/insulated, and 60% of the chipboard panels have been sealed with acoustic caulk. I haven't taken any photos of that yet, though.

The solid oak floor has been 75% laid. The rest will be done this morning. The knauf glasswool you see in the background will be going in the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

Are you using chipboard for panel absorbers, or why are you sealing them?
Old 21st June 2016
As far as I'm aware they are to provide some kind of helmholtz effect on the absorbers behind them, but
I'm really just following the plans that Boggy, who designed the space, provided. I will ask him to visit the thread to provide further info.

Only a small proportion of the walls (mostly at the top) have the chipboard panels. The air transparent diffusers will cover 1.5m (vertically) of each wall, and the bottom will be covered by spruce tongue and groove cladding.
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPower View Post
Are you using chipboard for panel absorbers, or why are you sealing them?
Tom's right. The MyRoom Mark II concept includes BIG and distributed real slat absorbers (mutually provided by diffusion slats), where it is possible. The additional LF absorption characteristic is described in the AES paper A Novel Approach of Multichannel and Stereo Control Room Acoustic Treatment, Second Edition

Old 1st July 2016
Sorry for the lack of updates; things have been crazy busy here so I've had not time to post. I've been working 16-18 hour days to get everything ready!

I'll post a selection of images of the progress over the last week or so.

Firstly: the studio doors are in - laminated glass doors. Note the angle to prevent flutter echo.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippocratic Mastering - MyRoom Acoustics (Boggy) build-image.jpg  
Old 1st July 2016
The loft space was insulated with 60cm of glasswool. That was a brutal, hot and sweaty job; massive thanks to my friend Bird for helping.

Then all visible Rockwool/glasswool was covered with three layers of garden frost fleece - thanks to my friends Frankie and Stu, and then one layer of black fabric - thanks to my lovely wife Beth and sister-in-law Jane.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 1st July 2016
Air conditioning and heat ventilation are installed. I don't have any photos of the indoor unit, but here are a couple of rather boring pics of he outdoor unit and the holes for the ventilation grilles (before the grilles were added).
Attached Thumbnails
Old 1st July 2016
The exciting bit - diffusers! All the side wall diffusers are assembled/mounted, and all the back wall diffusers are assembled, ready to be mounted today. That leaves the ceiling and front wall to do.

Massive thanks to Ross, Puddy, Bird, Ruth, Louis, John, Beth, Frankie, and everyone else who has helped with the diffusers!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

Looking excellent, Tom! This seems to be a very economic build. Can you already estimate the costs for the construction? Seems reasonable.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

Great build, thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search