The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio

Hi guys,

Ready for another studio building thread? Jamesguitarshields and I thought all you gear-voyeurs might be interested in our little project. It ain't huge, and it ain't excessive, but it ain't too shabby either! We're super excited about it.

Demolition has begun, and Martin Pilchner is designing the room. These pictures were taken today. There are three rooms; a lounge (where jamesguitar is standing), a medium sized booth (behind the wall studs) and the control room (black walls). James has a big keyboard collection, and the design will incorporate them into the layout, as well as lots of rack space, and a little sound sealed closet for the noisy computer and drives.

Cheers!
Adam and Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-002.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-004.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-005.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-006.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-007.jpg  

Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

more...
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-008.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-009.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-010.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-02-06-2007-011.jpg  
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

sweet! so next time I'll be able to nap in the lounge while you guys do all the work instead of on the floor.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Head

I like to demolish things, too. And sample them at the same time.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus0000 View Post
sweet! so next time I'll be able to nap in the lounge while you guys do all the work instead of on the floor.
Nah you'll be on the street corner busking to pay us the increased hourly studio rate!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Alright Guys! Let's see the progress every step of the way. Not a before and after.

Damn it was cold today( if you were walking outside at all), wasn't it?
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

It's lookin good!!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

You poor basta***.

good luck!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
Alright Guys! Let's see the progress every step of the way. Not a before and after.
Damn it was cold today( if you were walking outside at all), wasn't it?
you bet. we'll bore you with pix about everything. supposedly the ductwork is to be redirected tomorrow. i'll even take pictures of that

yeah it was cold alright. sunday was a real freezer... i'm not sure which day was colder.
-J
Old 21st February 2007
Gear Addict

You want ducting, we've got ducting.

Still awaiting some final build plans from the designer, but there's been a bit of ductwork in the mean time, and we sealed up the old office entrance door, and made an opening on inner booth wall for a door there.

PS - James, it doesn't show up much in these pics, but there is some mega dirt/dust on your camera lense. Might wanna have a look at that, give'r a baby wipe.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010034.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010037.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010041.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010042.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010047.jpg  

Old 4th March 2007
Gear Addict

Got the final plans from the designer on friday!
Here we go!

A
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Addict

More framing. Around the ducts, on the walls, ceilings. Also check out the beetlejuice chalk line on the control room wall. That's where they're blowing out a window. They did it today. Will have pics later.
I don't think it's visible in the pictures but they had a crazy laser leveling device today, to make sure all the elevations were correct.

Cheers
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-07-2007-019.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-07-2007-020.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-07-2007-021.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-07-2007-022.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-07-2007-023.jpg  

Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

I love these construction threads ! GOOD LUCK guys & keep us updated !!!

Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

I love these too. I also hate them and get extremely jealous and pissed off at the same time. None the less, I'll probably check this thread 5 times a day.

Neil
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

thanks. more pics to follow. it's tough to show the layout of the three rooms, but i will try and describe it in a few words:
walk down the stairs into the basement hall, keep walking straight, walk into lounge thru doorway pictured above (the room that had the blue walls, it now has drywall leaning up against the walls in the latest batch of photos). you're standing in the middle of the lounge, if you look left, you see what will be the A-Room, otherwise known as the "only room" heh. in the last batch of photos, this room has drywall on the floor. turning right again to your original position, you will face the entrance to the control room (the room with the black stuff on the walls). there will be a window between control room and A-Room (the control room juts towards 10'oclock, thereby lining it up with the A-Room).
there it is! will post more pics when i get back there later today. the window hole is cut between the two rooms and the framing is moving along. very exciting! behind schedule (shocker, i know) but very exciting. i have to downsize my keyboard/studio rig and fit it in another room in the basement to finish some episodes we have due. THAT will be tough. hope i don't disturb the nanny sleeping next door...
-J
Old 19th March 2007
Gear Addict

I think most of the framing just about done now. These shots were taken over two days. The boys did a nice job on the window frame, as you can see. Some insulation going in now, and the electrics.

I like the little coffee shelf they built in the first pic.

A
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010007.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010010.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010011.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010012.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010013.jpg  

Old 19th March 2007
Gear Addict

This is the booth, followed by a shot through the window, and a shot from the entrance to the control room.
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010017.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010022.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010023.jpg  
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Addict

Studs + Air + Drywall + plywood + drywall + DAP = Soundproof

There's a pic of the door frame, looking into the booth, and then boys working on the booth inner walls.

A
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-20-2007-009.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-03-20-2007-024.jpg  
Old 26th April 2007
Gear Addict

Moving along!
Door frames are ready for doors all the walls are plastered and and primed. We're installing the traps now...
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010023.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010024.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010025.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010026.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010027.jpg  

Old 26th April 2007
Gear Addict

and more...
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010028.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010029.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010030.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010031.jpg  
Old 26th April 2007
Gear Addict

Hot. What's in the fridge?heh
Old 27th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityRobert View Post
Hot. What's in the fridge?heh
a lottttttttttttttt of drywall dust.
-J
Old 14th May 2007
Gear Addict

More pics. The final design is starting to shine through now. The diagonal lines on the walls are where the different colour fabrics will meet. The yellow stuff is rigid fiberglass. There's about 3 inches of it on the walls. The last picture shows the final wall layers at the entrance to the booth. The doors and window should be arriving soon.

Cheers
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010034.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010036.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010039.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010044.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010045.jpg  

Old 14th May 2007
Gear Addict

Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010047.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010048.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010049.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010050.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010051.jpg  

Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

more photos

finally, after an interminable wait, we are installing the fabric. all soundproofing is finished. this will be followed by the installation of the floor, and then the doors... more photos to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010066.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010067.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010068.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010069.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010070.jpg  

Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

a few more...

a few more
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010072.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-p1010074.jpg  
Old 14th November 2007
Gear Addict

Finally, we're making music! Only thing left to install is the door on the iso-closet and find a spot for the mackies (or not).
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0183.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0184.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0185.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0186.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0187.jpg  

Old 14th November 2007
Gear Addict

and the booth:
Attached Thumbnails
Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0190.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0191.jpg   Studiocat and Jamesguitarshields build a studio-img_0192.jpg  
Old 14th November 2007
Gear Addict

Sovtek thumbsup BIG cojones

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search