The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
2 car garage Mixing Room
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

2 car garage Mixing Room

Hello every one

I finally realized my dream of owning a house with a garage large enough to give me the opportunity to build a mixing room in it.
The final goal was to get a space insulated enough to allow me to make some noise without disturbing the quiet neighborhood I live in.
I wanted to get a space with good acoustics for mixing and the possibility to track a couple of instruments at a time in case of emergency, so I designed it with a large booth (I hate booths but it was necessary to put the artist in a comfortable isolated space and be isolated from my ears so I didn't need in ear monitors while tracking).

I decided to go for the most risky design, you'll see why, but this made more sense for the purpose. I wanted to be as symmetrical as possible.

I'll post a couple of pictures per post for the next days, I will need some help to correct some issues in the most DIY way possible.

Here are some pics of the whole project. I'll make it as long and entertaining as possible

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6325.png
This is the design from above, the left side is the garage door, the iso booth is the box in the top right corner and the entrance to the studio is the bottom right corner.

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6333.jpg
Garage before

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6345.jpg
Garage emptied out from previous dry walls

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6362.jpg
The stuffing begins with Roxul material, I also had some mass loaded vinyl from a friend's previous build.

More pics to come soon!
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6325.png   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6333.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6345.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6362.jpg  

Last edited by baslotto; 11th September 2015 at 11:23 PM..
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Here are more pics of the studio build

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6424.jpg
We went to buy 12 rolls of mass loaded vinyl

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6435.jpg
The isobooth is taking shape

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6441.jpg
And vinyl goes up. Super heavy stuff, impossible to do it by yourself.

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6499.jpg
Also the entrance booth gets its internal framework.

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6500.jpg
The isobooth will get stuffed more than other parts of the structure.
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6424.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6435.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6441.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6499.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6500.jpg  

Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

More pics

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6503.jpg
The booth ceiling gets stuffed and dry walled with sheets of QuietRock for maximum insulation

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6618.jpg
Stuffing the booth frame

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6626.jpg
Vinyl over the booth to make it "the Black Tower"

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6635.jpg
After the vinyl we installed resilient channels to create a little air gap between the vinyl and the drywall

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6675.jpg
The Black Tower got its first layer of drywall

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6728.jpg
Over the drywall we layered strips of vinyl to create another air gap between the 2 sheets of drywall
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6503.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6618.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6626.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6635.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6675.jpg  

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6728.jpg  

Last edited by baslotto; 12th September 2015 at 10:41 PM..
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

More pics…

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6746.jpg
The North Tower is getting stuffed...

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6751.jpg
…then vinyled...

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6765.jpg
…then dry walled...

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6878.jpg
… and doors go up!
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6746.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6751.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6765.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_6878.jpg  
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

More pics….

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7590.jpg
After the long and tedious electric wiring and sub panel it was finally time to stuff and close the third wall

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7595.jpg
same treatment as the rest of the walls

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7648.jpg
This was the day I lost the garage door. Mind that we had to uninstall the electric motor and rails that were supporting and moving the garage door, extremely hard work!!

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7664.jpg
After stuffing the door with light insulation we are finally ready to cover the last side of the garage. No more garage for me!

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7669.jpg
More Roxul

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7670.jpg
more vinyl (thank god the contractor can reach up to 8ft!)

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7682.jpg
more drywall
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7590.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7595.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7648.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7664.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7669.jpg  

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7670.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7682.jpg  
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

More photographs…

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7701.jpg
After mudding and scraping and mudding again we are finally ready for some noise tests: banging on a snare drum made it pretty clear that the roof was letting too much sound out. What could I do?

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7771.jpg
I could… stuff the roof with Owens Corning 703! Its rigid structure allowed me to stuff it firmly between the joists not loosing too much air space in the studio. Another week of work with our arms up

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7844.jpg
Testing the insulation in the ceiling… it looked pretty good! These panels won't come out ever, I could hang on them.

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7902.jpg
There is no way to find 703 anywhere so I had to special order it and it wasn't cheap.

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7977.jpg
…..then cloth over it to avoid breathing fiberglass

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8014.jpg
Staining the wood to cover the seams and the ugly staples

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8255.jpg
And final result. Now the only things left from the garage are those ugly neon lights.
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7701.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7771.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7844.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7902.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_7977.jpg  

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8014.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8255.jpg  

Last edited by baslotto; 14th September 2015 at 09:08 AM..
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Shall we say… floor?

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8088.jpg
Since I have nobody under me the plan here was not to suspend it completely but to raise the floor a little to avoid water problems so we raised it by 2 inches and vinyled the grid too

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8090.jpg
Stuffing the subfloor

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8106.jpg
Then covering it

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8124.jpg
And finally start laying down the hardwood

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8149.jpg
Another week of work on our knees

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8157.jpg
But the result is nice
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8088.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8090.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8106.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8124.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8149.jpg  

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8157.jpg  
Old 13th September 2015
Very nice build indeed.I like your approach of doing it right the first time with proper materials and method.Brings back memories of when I built my home studio years ago.It's a lot of work but well worth it when completed.Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hammer on bro,...hammer on.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

A few more pictures of the latest progress: we are down to finishes, painting the doors and the beams.

Here is a panoramic of the whole mixing room. The outlets face plates are now crown copper color, the white was standing out too much.
We also finally replaced the new on garage lights with track spotlights. much better!

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8318.jpg

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8342.jpg

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8352.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8318.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8342.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8352.jpg  

Last edited by baslotto; 21st September 2015 at 10:44 PM..
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Here are more pics

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8404.jpg

2 car garage Mixing Room-screen-shot-2015-09-19-4.22.17-pm.jpg

This is a very temporary setup.
The desk will be replaced with a real one (this is a DIY IKEA desk)

I'm putting up the bass traps that I already had from my previous home studio and I'll build more these next days.

I'll have some questions regarding the acoustics and the best way to flatten the frequency response.

The great news is that I'm TOTALLY isolated from what happens outside and I can play my music as loud as I possibly can without bothering my nice neighbors. The vocal booth is a fantastic natural reverb chamber that will surely get used for this purpose too once I'm finished with the acoustic treatment in the main room.

Thanks for watching for now
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8353.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-screen-shot-2015-09-19-4.22.17-pm.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8404.jpg  

Last edited by baslotto; 20th September 2015 at 01:18 AM..
Old 20th September 2015
Gear Addict

Looking good.
Old 20th September 2015
That's a really nice calm looking place to work in. Quite jealous of you, sir!
How long did it take you?
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you!!
We started in March and I'm taking acoustic measurements these days. It was just the 2 of us. The contractor is a friend of mine and I tried to help him as much as possible.
There are frequency issues I'll need to correct but I hope to be ready to move in within the next 2 months. For now it is the quietest place in the area for sure
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

If it were mine, I think I'd crack a smile every time I saw the garage door - knowing that, to the outside world, it looks like just another 2-car garage, when in reality ... !
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Head
This looks awesome!
Thank you for documenting the build! There's so much I can learn from this.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Hello again,
after receiving my new desk, patching my outboard pres and comps and running my snake to the booth I'm finally done with my studio!!!!

BIG thanks to Bryan and Glenn from GIK for helping me setting up a great sounding space. I can literally use every corner of this space for tracking with a good balance between absorption and diffusion.

We have been playing loud last night till 4AM and outside it was whisper quiet.

Thank you all for your support and I hope I can help anybody in the future, this process made me learn tons of stuff .

Cheers!!

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8970.jpg

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8937.jpg

2 car garage Mixing Room-screen-shot-2015-11-21-3.52.35-pm.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8970.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_8937.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-screen-shot-2015-11-21-3.52.35-pm.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2015
looks awesome! Congrats
Old 22nd November 2015
Gear Maniac
looking awesome man!! worth the effort
Old 20th March 2016
This is awesome...reminds me of my studio build in my house...nothing like having it in your house!!
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
This is awesome...reminds me of my studio build in my house...nothing like having it in your house!!
Yep! Thanks guys!
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

I also have a little update. I got myself a pair of these and I couldn't be any happier. What a sound!

And before that I took this pic with the new TV stands that function as storage/Mic lockers/seats

2 car garage Mixing Room-img_0409.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-img_0697.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-img_0409.jpg  
Old 11th July 2016
Gear Addict

Looks Great..

Is there any ventilation in the room? I thought I saw an AC unit in post #9
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadua View Post
Looks Great..

Is there any ventilation in the room? I thought I saw an AC unit in post #9
Yes it's still there, in one of the latest pictures it blends in with he white bass traps over the couch.

This AC is keeping everything at a constant temperature and the insulation is helping it to not over work. It's a Mitsubishi Split System, it works like a charm and doesn't make any noise. Totally quiet.
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Addict

Thanks for the quick response.

I was just wondering why you found it necessary to insulate the garage door when the is a layer of Roxul on top?

Is the Roxul more for acoustic purposes rather than insulation from the heat/cold..

Forgive me I am relatively new to contsruction/studio builds..
Old 12th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadua View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

I was just wondering why you found it necessary to insulate the garage door when the is a layer of Roxul on top?

Is the Roxul more for acoustic purposes rather than insulation from the heat/cold..

Forgive me I am relatively new to contsruction/studio builds..
We put a light layer of insulation inside the garage door just to add more insulation and we walled the whole door with the usual treatment.

The Roxul does both insulate acoustically and thermally. The walls are full of fluffy stuff covered with mass loaded vinyl then double drywalled.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm bumping this up for anybody who's just starting or need any help with their build.
This is definitely doable for most of us and after a couple of years this studio is running super solid, beyond any expectations.

Please hit me up if you have any questions, I'm here to help!

Remember that one of the most important items in any garage studio is a split system for AC and heat. There are cheap solutions online (AC Wholesalers Goodman Air Conditioner Home Heating & Air Conditioning) that will cost you a third of what stores charge you for and they are very easy to assemble, all I did was to have it tested and started from a licensed contractor for about $200.

I'm uploading a jam session that had 7 people playing loud instruments in the studio at the same time. Everybody miced properly in the small space we had. Listen to the soloed instruments and notice how separate they all sound, no separate booths, no gobos.

Obviously this is not a real mix and there is a lot of compression to verify how far I could go with leakage (basically it's over compressed on purpose).
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-color-desk.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-pano.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-lounge.jpg   2 car garage Mixing Room-booth.jpg  
Attached Files

Jam Session separation test.mp3 (2.76 MB, 2323 views)

Last edited by baslotto; 6th April 2018 at 06:51 PM..
Old 6th April 2018
Deleted User
What a FANTASTIC build! The audio sounds great!!!!!!!! Have you thought about renting it out? I am sure some producers would love to check it out. I am sure when someone goes in for the first time thinking, yet another studio in a garage, their jaw must just drop straight to the ground.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Haha! Thank you Dana! The best thing is that I covered the entrance door window with old newspaper so it looks more like an old garage from the outside. It's like a speakeasy for home studios.
Old 6th April 2018
Deleted User
That is just way to funny! Did you ever do anything like the REW test or check your freq range? I am in the process of doing my own home studio. I am 10.8 miles off the main road. No neighbors to bug and the last thing I have to build is the hidden door bookcase. This is just to give it a little more pop when people walk past it, then realize it was the door to begin with.
Attached Thumbnails
2 car garage Mixing Room-d1.jpg  
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, plenty of frequency tests and calculations. After choosing Amphions as my monitoring system I know there's a (common) build up around 62Hz but everything is pretty flat and true. I'm using Sonarworks to compare and it seems to be working pretty well. Once you know your room you are good. I do use commercial tracks for reference as usual.

In any case in your situation the sky is the limit, just make sure you treat the room inside properly and save some money on isolation. The bookcase secret door would be a dream for most of us!

Last edited by baslotto; 6th April 2018 at 08:58 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search