The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hyperreal Overkill – Studio Construction
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Head

Pilchner-Schoustal

I'm delighted to see Hyperreal Overkill featured amongst some great work on the Pilchner-Schoustal web site.

Hyperreal Overkill

All their stuff is pretty inspiring to see.
Cheers,
h
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Head

The Sequel

New post in the studio blog:
These things are never done! An update on the a few loose ends on the studio construction.

For the story see: The Sequel | HYPERREAL OVERKILL
To see how I got here, see: Blog | HYPERREAL OVERKILL for the whole blog.

Cheers,
h
Attached Thumbnails
Hyperreal Overkill – Studio Construction-sl_from_lr.jpg  
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head

What are the dimensions of the control room?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
New post in the studio blog:
These things are never done! An update on the a few loose ends on the studio construction.

For the story see: The Sequel | HYPERREAL OVERKILL
To see how I got here, see: Blog | HYPERREAL OVERKILL for the whole blog.

Cheers,
h
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Head

Technically, the control room is 12'-10.875"(w) X 12'-10.75"(l) X 9'-0.25"(h). The bass traps and absorption front and back eat up a little space so it's more like 12'-3.25" deep. Once the equipment is in, there's basically enough room for 1 engineer and 1 client. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
h
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Head

Equipment Update

Construction on this project is pretty much done but I just updated the blog with an equipment report. Not really relevant to the thread, but we're all here on GS for the gear , so if you're interested:

http://hyperrealoverkill.com/equipment-update/

Cheers!
h
Old 15th September 2017
Wow, this looks amazing !

How did you put the fabric on ? I cant see any staples. Did you put it on frames first and the put the whole frame up ?

Ive seen this in a few studios and always asked myself how it was done..

It looks so much better than hiding the staples under stripes of wood.
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Head

Mario Super,

Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been out of the country but to answer your question, yes, the fabric and frame go up at once. As you can see in the post about Scrims, the panel frames are constructed from plywood. What you can’t see is that the fabric is stretched around the frame and stapled to the back (sorry – I didn’t get pictures of that). This is much more difficult and fussy, especially with the complex shapes and angles of some of the panels – but it looks cleaner and more finished. Hope is helps.

Cheers!
h
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry i’m like few years late but did you measure your room acoustics? Looks really nice but how does it sounds?
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

I saw on the comments section of one of your posts that someone asked for the cost of this build and you said you couldn't give an exact number because you didn't keep track. Can you give a rough estimate of what you spent?
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Head

Greg,
The room sounds great! I love working in there. Did I measure the room acoustics? Yes… and no. When I finished the room (control room), I did some quick measurements and got a basic understanding of it’s response. In short, it is pretty even throughout the audible range though there are ripples as you get below about 150 Hz., but in a room this small it is virtually impossible to get a an acoustic laboratory response in that range.

Also, when I started getting into the details, things were less conclusive. I realized that to get good data, a lot of exhaustive measurements would need to be taken and I plan to do that “some day” – for nerd purposes only. What is more important is how my mixes translated when I took them to my mastering guy’s room. I found that I could get a very accurate sense of what was happening in the bass if I move my listening position back about 12 – 18” from the normal listening position. Also, my mixes tend to be slightly bright, which makes sense considering the room is quite dead. It doesn’t take much experience to know how much to compensate for these anomalies.

Hope this helps. Thanks for reading through the thread.
Cheers!
h
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Head

Again, any guess would be ballpark. Very ballpark. I can tell you that the glass and the doors cost about 10K. You should have a budget of at least 40-50K to do a room like this if you're doing all the labour yourself. Way more if somebody is building it for you. There are so many variable that I can only call this a wild guess. Sorry I can't do better than that. Thanks for reading through the thread though.

Cheers!
h
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Greg,
The room sounds great! I love working in there. Did I measure the room acoustics? Yes… and no. When I finished the room (control room), I did some quick measurements and got a basic understanding of it’s response. In short, it is pretty even throughout the audible range though there are ripples as you get below about 150 Hz., but in a room this small it is virtually impossible to get a an acoustic laboratory response in that range.

Also, when I started getting into the details, things were less conclusive. I realized that to get good data, a lot of exhaustive measurements would need to be taken and I plan to do that “some day” – for nerd purposes only. What is more important is how my mixes translated when I took them to my mastering guy’s room. I found that I could get a very accurate sense of what was happening in the bass if I move my listening position back about 12 – 18” from the normal listening position. Also, my mixes tend to be slightly bright, which makes sense considering the room is quite dead. It doesn’t take much experience to know how much to compensate for these anomalies.

Hope this helps. Thanks for reading through the thread.
Cheers!
h
Understood. Thanks for feedback. Great room, man. Also, are you gonna add some reflections to get rid of deadness?
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head

I have no plans to add reflective treatment at this point. I can bundle up the curtains to expose more wall and window surface if I wish. That can help a little bit but that can make the response uneven. I could add reflective treatment to the rear wall – but that would likely impair the bass traps at the back. Best that I learn the room and understand what I'm going to get from it despite any limitations it might have. I'm as obsessive as the next guy but tweaking these things can have diminishing returns and it's always good to remember not to let "perfect become the enemy of the good."
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have no plans to add reflective treatment at this point. I can bundle up the curtains to expose more wall and window surface if I wish. That can help a little bit but that can make the response uneven. I could add reflective treatment to the rear wall – but that would likely impair the bass traps at the back. Best that I learn the room and understand what I'm going to get from it despite any limitations it might have. I'm as obsessive as the next guy but tweaking these things can have diminishing returns and it's always good to remember not to let "perfect become the enemy of the good."
Well how come reflective panels will interact with low end if low end can penetrate through the surface? You can place it in front of the wall on the separated frame. It’s not an advice but information for consideration. Check Wes Lachot design.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search