The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cannabis and music (thread for partokers only)
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac
I've used cannabis on and off for the last 40+ years.

I'd say that mostly it "enhances" my creativity. Whether with music or some other artistic pursuit. In fact, even doing some programming and thinking about algorithms. Although, if I over-indulge, then all those great ideas get wasted. But overall, it's been a positive for me in small doses.

I've also witnessed the bad side of dope/gunja/mj/weed/smoko/green/.....

About 20yrs ago I lived in a share house with two other blokes. We all played music - guitars mainly. We had a nice jamm room/studio set up to play and record. So, one night I was in the studio practicing a song (it was "Under The Milky Way" by the Church). It has a beautiful acoustic guitar piece that I was desperately trying to learn. I was stoned off my head, but I was very focused.

The other guy had gone out with his gf, so there was just me and the "classical" guitarist (I'll call him Mr.X). So, I'm trying to learn this song and Mr.X comes into the studio telling me there is a great documentary on TV about Led Zepplin and he urged me to watch it. Well, I sort of said "hey, cool man, fine, great, sounds good, but I'm trying to work on this song". He went away, but kept coming back into the studio with the same advice. But I declined.

This went on for a few times, to the point that he was so frustrated that I wasn't listening or acknowledging his advice that he decided to physically attack me!!! Not so much that I needed hospitalisation, but I had a black eye, and was bruised in many places. He was a larger person than me. Regardless, if I wasn't so stoned, I would have reacted better. But who knows where that scenario would have ended? I was in shock, and could not react.

That person was a big user of mj. He absolutely had a "psychotic" episode. About 5yrs ago I saw him at a Sunday Market playing his guitar - for his living? dunno, but it made me feel sad.

Even though that indecent happened to me, I still think it's very rare. Usually most "Stoners" just like to relax. Violence to do with alcohol happens much much much more often.

Cheers, Steve.

Last edited by stixstudios; 17th May 2019 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Not telling.
Old 20th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post

I'd say that mostly it "enhances" my creativity. Whether with music or some other artistic pursuit. In fact, even doing some programming and thinking about algorithms. Although, if I over-indulge, then all those great ideas get wasted. But overall, it's been a positive for me in small doses.

About 20yrs ago I lived in a share house with two other blokes. We all played music - guitars mainly. We had a nice jamm room/studio set up to play and record. So, one night I was in the studio practicing a song (it was "Under The Milky Way" by the Church). It has a beautiful acoustic guitar piece that I was desperately trying to learn. I was stoned off my head, but I was very focused.

The other guy had gone out with his gf, so there was just me and the "classical" guitarist (I'll call him Mr.X). So, I'm trying to learn this song and Mr.X comes into the studio telling me there is a great documentary on TV about Led Zepplin and he urged me to watch it. Well, I sort of said "hey, cool man, fine, great, sounds good, but I'm trying to work on this song". He went away, but kept coming back into the studio with the same advice. But I declined.

This went on for a few times, to the point that he was so frustrated that I wasn't listening or acknowledging his advice that he decided to physically attack me!!! Not so much that I needed hospitalisation, but I had a black eye, and was bruised in many places. He was a larger person than me. Regardless, if I wasn't so stoned, I would have reacted better. But who knows where that scenario would have ended? I was in shock, and could not react.

That person was a big user of mj. He absolutely had a "psychotic" episode. About 5yrs ago I saw him at a Sunday Market playing his guitar - for his living? dunno, but it made me feel sad.

Even though that indecent happened to me, I still think it's very rare. Usually most "Stoners" just like to relax. Violence to do with alcohol happens much much much more often.

Cheers, Steve.
Bizarre story, Steve. Do you know whether he was drinking during the times when he was out of the studio and you were still in?
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post

Cheers, Steve.
That is not an uncommon scenario.

Some people who smoke heavily and are more prone to psychotic episodes lose the plot like that.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
Bizarre story, Steve. Do you know whether he was drinking during the times when he was out of the studio and you were still in?
Perhaps he was drinking alcohol (I know I was). I can't really remember. But he definitely was more of a smoker than a drinker. He did have a reputation as a big smoker. Interestingly, not that long before "the indecent", he also started accusing everyone of talking about him behind his back - Paranoid Delusions indeed.

Which in the end, via some sort of negative reality inversion, he was absolutely correct!!!

Also, some of my other friends pointed out to me that on occasion they would see his head wobbling. That is, if he was still, sitting down or standing up, his head would wobble uncontrollably like one of those (70's/80's?) ornamants that people had on the dashboard or parcel shelf in their car. He had a problem.

I can assure you that I don't want to make excuses for his behavior, but a couple of weeks before the indecent, he lost his job. The company he was working for down-sized and he was let go. Perhaps he was let go because of his performance due to partaking and slightly over-indulging in "Grandmas Apricot Jam".?? Maybe I was the recipient of his ill-directed vengeance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
That is not an uncommon scenario.
Some people who smoke heavily and are more prone to psychotic episodes lose the plot like that.
Yep!! I agree to a point, but I'll say that it's NOT very common to witness that sort of violence from a Stoner. Nevertheless, maybe us smokers are more "prone" to mental health issues". Someone should do a proper survey. But my gut tells me (and via experience) alcohol abuse causes much more damage to society than mj.

I've got some other interesting stories regarding alcohol and violence that I could share, but in the end, it is only MY experience.

For me, I'll have 2 to 3 cans of beer, a very small spliff, (and sometime repeat), and that will be enough to "take the edge off" so I can feel positive. I use it in that way. I'm usually a very negative person. A bit of "flower Power" then I'll pick up my acoustic guitar or muck around with my keyboard and come up with a tune. Cannabis makes me feel at peace, and in that way helps me (delusional or otherwise) make music. If I feel that I'm not at peace, then I can't create music.

I'm a bit stoned at the moment. Maybe a bit too much. But I'll be picking up the guitar shortly and hopefully come up with a new tune. Unfortunately, I may never remember it .

Cheers.

Last edited by stixstudios; 20th May 2019 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: further relevant info
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search