The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music producer moving to LA
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

Music producer moving to LA

I make a living writing and producing in Europe, but I'm thinking about moving to LA to (hopefully) take my songwriting/producing to the next level. Any tips on safe, cheap areas relatively close to where the music business happens? As for as studio goes, I will be working from home. When it comes to noise and working nights, will an apartment do? Or is a house "a must"?
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

bump
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Addict
Los Angeles has been a dead scene since the 80’s

If you think moving here will bring your music to the next level, you are ritardando

That being said, Compton has always been a safe and pleasant area that is definitely affordable. Those fake idiots from NWA (used to be Cru In Action) gave the place a bad name.

Its only a step up if you are backed by the shadow government - which is when you agree for the government sponsored crack dealers to hit up your fan base.

I would advise against the taco trucks because you can easily make puerco adobado on your own frying pan for a fraction of the price.

Hit me up if you reach this purgatory.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post

If you think moving here will bring your music to the next level, you are ritardando

That being said, Compton has always been a safe and pleasant area that is definitely affordable. Those fake idiots from NWA (used to be Cru In Action) gave the place a bad name.

Its only a step up if you are backed by the shadow government - which is when you agree for the government sponsored crack dealers to hit up your fan base.

I would advise against the taco trucks because you can easily make puerco adobado on your own frying pan for a fraction of the price.

What music genre are u into?
Old 1st January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post

That’s funny - I know many people who’ve done exactly what the OP wants to do!
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Addict
I’m into instrumental music - not much into any electronic styles, but I can appreciate good writing when applied to any instrument or tone.

Releasing music to Asian countries atm; higher populations and music consumption rate make for better gambles.

LA and other big US cities are great for cooks nowadays - not musicians; if you want to make money here, a different occupation is mandatory.
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
I make a living writing and producing in Europe, but I'm thinking about moving to LA...
How much time have you spent here already?
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
How much time have you spent here already?
I’ve been to LA several times for co-writes, but that has been airbnb, so I’m curious to know a bit more about living here permanently

Last edited by erike123; 2nd January 2020 at 06:13 AM..
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Smile

Anyone?
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search