The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm moving to the States, but where?
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon K View Post
Don't get me started...

I visited NYC in 2006 and then again in 2016 and all the things that have gotten worse about London were the same for Manhattan.
You know the deal. London is one of a kind. Being a Native you know it’s unique in that it’s one of the top Jewels of big cities and it’s both residential and urban. But for many reasons Gentrification, demographic change it has become almost unrecognizable in ways that were both good for calling it a center for the arts and a livable home. NYC would be the closest in terms of relating to its dense diversity and energy level but unfortunately it’s lost everything that London has and gained everything London has as well. The elements you won’t like. So that makes every option a second tier city for you because in one way or another these places have experienced similar loss but also never had what London has to begin with. Personally I would head up North. to Manchester or Liverpool. Maybe to Cardiff or Bristol. When you need a dose of London it’s an hour and change on the train away. The states may be a culture shock and you may find it a bit boring coming from London. And I couldn’t see you not getting homesick.
Old 30th July 2020
Here for the gear

When I got married, we had to move to Nashville. I met my lover at the university, that was the love at first sight, after three months we got married. The idea was that he couln'd move to live in my city, so I had to move. But, I was afraid, the cost of living, if it's more expensive, what I will work and many, many questions. Reading a a lot of information on https://costoflivingreports.com/unit.../nashville-tn/ and talking to my husband I passed over my fear.
Old 30th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJasmineW View Post
When I got married, we had to move to Nashville. I met my lover at the university, that was the love at first sight, after three months we got married.
Where did you move there from? And would you recommend that move, or have you just learned to make the best of the situation?
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Miami is heaven for creative people
Also New York.

These are the only two u.s. cities I would live in right now.
In 2020 and later down the road, these are two cities I would avoid.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
In 2020 and later down the road, these are two cities I would avoid.
Why? I have roots in both places but haven’t been to either since February.
Old 30th July 2020
I’m in NY and have been able to have success with music here.

NY isn’t for everyone. There is a lot of talent, and an enormous amount of competition. Getting your foot in the door here is incredibly tough.

Live music scene was slowly getting better until Corona happened. Probably the most diverse music scene in the country. We really have any style from all over the world represented at any given night. We also have, by far, the best food and restaurants. Especially pizza.

As a Londoner, you may find that much of the mid-west and south fall short on diversity (really depends on where you go). I’d avoid Nashville, only because it’s sort of a depressing and dilapidated kind of city. It’s sort of like a giant strip mall.

Also depends on what you have planned for things like family, children?, other types of work, interests.

Right outside Manhattan, theare is “greater NY” which is absolutely gorgeous the more north you go. Lots of open spaces and trails only an hour away from the city.

Everything is painfully expensive here though. Especially property, taxes, and tolls. Get used to paying up to $30 a day on your daily commute. More if you have to pay for parking.

There are pockets of crime, but most of NY is very safe and even friendly.

Other places to consider for the scene: Philly is awesome right now. Def a boom happening there.

Michigan is wonderful around Ypsilanti and Torch Lake. Cheap to live and great properties in safe areas.

Southern Cali is fantastic. Redlands, Temecula, San Bernardino...Amazing nightlife, gorgeous people everywhere, very diverse, and lots of creativity without the “everyone you meet is a creative” vibe. Van Nuys is cool too, for other reasons.

Miami is wonderful. Florida is a big state, and there are a lot of places I promise you won’t want to live.

Nawlins is hit or miss... it can be a rough place and there’s a ton of poverty and vice. It def still has a rough edge if you want that. I always have a great time when I go.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

I @ DomiBabi used to wish I was from NY for cultural reasons esp. w/how it used to be for Hip Hop and about diversity in the South, you are right about it depends on where you are. Where I'm from it's majority Black, White w/a lot of Latinos in certain places but mostly the 1st two.

Try @ Gideon K B'ham, ask @ drewbeedoobeedoo and @ clearwave and @ jerrydpi and @ nosebleedaudio and @ OZHALL and @ drpeacock and @ Fishmed

Last edited by boombapdame; 30th July 2020 at 06:15 PM..
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear
Pick a state they didn't let people destroy private property unchecked for weeks on end - that's a good starting point.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Pick a state they didn't let people destroy private property unchecked for weeks on end - that's a good starting point.
I'll have to concur. W/o making a political statement, it's painful to see the rioters co-opt the protests in those cities.

Alabama would qualify as not out of control in that regard.

It's also got a good music scene (of course Covid has done a number of live performances, but that won't last forever). Lotza talent here we've got several high profile American Idol winners ( https://yellowhammernews.com/29470/ ) Ruben Studdard is my favorite.

We have a decent Electronic Music scene. It's not as strong as Atlanta, but there is interest here as well as live performances (again Covid). I'm pretty active in the Birmingham Alabama Electronic Music Group on Facebook (search it).

There's also a pretty strong electronic music program here at UAB (Univ. Ala. Bham).
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Addict

I live in Washington DC, which is one of those places you probably think is torn by out of control riots. That is not true.

I can’t really recommend the music scene here, Fugazi was a Long time ago. Baltimore MD has a better music scene.

I played in Alabama a fair bit long ago. Huntsville, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Mobile on the way to New Orleans.

I would not recommend moving to a poor backwater place in the US where political protests are not tolerated.

I’m from the South, and I kinda don’t recommend it unless you know what to expect.
Old 31st July 2020
Well, without getting into a political debate, it would be absurd for me to contemplate moving to a state that is significantly at odds with my own stance on basic issues, or has restrictions or impositions on too many freedoms that I have grown up with in the UK.

I'm fairly liberal and politically middle of the road by UK standards, which makes me centre right/mildly conservative by London standards, which I guess (to my understanding) makes me a radical leftist by the standards of many US states - southern and Midwestern particularly. The Bible belt is therefore not a likely fit for a secular, atheistically-inclined Jew like myself.

For example (and again, this is not to trigger a political debate, but to hopefully clarify my needs to help anyone interested in making suggestions be able do so with greater accuracy), I take certain things for granted as being basic human rights (in any free society worthy of the name) like freedom of sexual orientation, bodily autonomy, freedom from other people's religious beliefs interfering with my individual freedoms, and so on. I find gay marriage rights are usually a good measure of how free and tolerant a place is, and whilst I am aware there are federal laws that make the ban unconstitutional, it might not be a great fit for me and my wife to live in a place where state legislature has not overturned the ban of its own accord. So Florida currently has a question mark around it, although it is not ruled out.

I have no real desire to move to any state that has abortion trigger laws (so Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, Missouri, Tennessee, South Dakota and Utah are all highly unlikely for now), although it's not necessarily just about laws. I am aware that attitudes of people differ anywhere you go, but am more inclined towards attitudes of tolerance and acceptance. I hope to start at family at some point, although not immediately, and I would not want to raise kids in any place that veers dramatically from my outlined criteria.

These are my personal principles and predilections. I respect the fact that others do not agree on some or all of these issues, but in case it needs saying, let's not break forum etiquette by discussing or debating them here. I mention all of the above in order to narrow the search and hopefully get back to the much more interesting topic of the character and flavours of various music/creative scenes in different areas.

I would like to reiterate my thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply and make suggestions so far.
Old 31st July 2020
I also realise that some of my last post might well seem quite at odds with some of what I wrote in my original post. However, that was written 8 months ago and a lot seems to have changed in that time to say the least, as well as the fact that I have managed to make slightly more of an inroads into research on states and cities in the USA for factors other than music.
Old 31st July 2020
Although.... I am more than happy to be relieved of any misconceptions I might have about various places or whether the facts on the ground are greatly different from those on paper so-to-speak.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

What @ standup city/state are/were you from in the South?

If @ Pale Pyramid I used to wish I lived/grew up in Indy and if you're unfamiliar, dig the sounds of the IU Soul Revue

Last edited by boombapdame; 31st July 2020 at 05:01 PM..
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

I actually lived the last half of my life in NYC. I’m originally from Indy.
I’m not living here long term. Mostly an artist finishing an album who needed mentally not to be in NYC.
I also had seen reports out of China back in November about COVID. I knew this pandemic was likely. Being in NYC during it, no thank you. 9-11 memories are enough for me.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

I would say that like all things right now the stories you read are greatly exaggerated and politicized.
The south and Midwest are not wildly backwards and racist, sexist, homophobic, monocultures.

They have never been less so. Even in states that may have anti abortion stances let’s say, the cities in those states tend to have many residents who are liberal.
conservatives on average are easy going people just trying to live peacefully as anyone else. I see them portrayed often as racists and fascist and it’s simply not the case.
The internet, media and politicians have greatly been distorting the reality of day to day life for some time. It’s an election year here, making it worse.
There has been massive racial demographic change in the United States in the last 20 years that I openly see. Indianapolis was once white and black. That was it. Very few other ethnicities represented to the naked eye.
Now it looks like a lesser New Jersey to me. There are Russians, Vietnamese, Sikhs, Pakistanis, Filipinos, Muslim, Nigerians. Quite a few Hispanics now.I see signs in Spanish and English. This happened throughout the states in the last two decades and will continue to grow.
There are also Jews in the South and Midwest going back to pioneer days..
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

If @ Pale Pyramid I used to wish I lived/grew up in Indy and if you're unfamiliar, dig the sounds of the IU Soul Revue[/QUOTE]

I’m not familiar. I will definitely look it up. I don’t know if that was a link but it didn’t open.
I left Indy in the 90s. I had not been here in twenty years until I returned. So I don’t know what has transpired musically.
I have not been going out in my short return unfortunately. It’s been COVID for most my time here.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
What @ standup city/state are/were you from in the South?
Mostly Athens, GA, where my mom still lives. But also Baton Rouge, LA when I was a young kid.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Try @ Pale Pyramid the link as it should open now
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

@ Gideon K

Looking at your links I’m guessing your tastes are Indie. Domino/4AD/XL/Creation/Hut/Warp/Wichita/Sonic Cathedral/Bella Union/Ninja Tune adjacent bands/musicians..

In the Midwest South-

Chicago, Nashville, Austin, Atlanta, Detroit

Nashville in the last decade has been the city where I would guess the highest majority of working professional indie bands/musicians have relocated as a residence. Decent weather year around, Affordability and infrastructure in the music business do to country music. Possibly the largest community outside LA. And it will be highly concentrated geographically so meeting people will be easiest. Atlanta and Austin trail behind it to a degree.

Detroit used to have amazing music pouring out of it- Techno/Motown/hip hop/birthplace of punk with the stooges and MC5. And then the 90s early 2000s many bands like the white stripes poured forth. Very affordable. Cold winters. Nice summers. Beautiful woodlands and the Great Lakes look like the ocean. But with no sharks and clear water which is a pretty good deal.
But the harsh winters I think have seen many of its indie musicians relocate to Nashville.
Chicago always has a multifaceted music scene in all genres but it’s expensive and the winters are brutal. Like Detroit in the winter but somehow even worse because you walk in that city more. It’s the most walkable city in terms of London in NYC where vast amounts of people will choose to train/walk rather then drive everywhere. You know endless overcast days and rain in the UK. But brutal North American winters in a city are far worse. Makes the landscape even more depressing. Breaks the heart to see all the homeless out in it 24-7 permanently as well. Homelessness has risen quite a bit in the last ten years. Quite visible in big cities here.
Philadelphia has a scene that bands like war on drugs and Kurt vile have come out of. But Philly might be a bit on the rough side. And more expensive then all the other cities other then Chicago. It’s on the east coast and about an hour from NYC or Washington DC by train which may sweeten the deal.
LA has a lot of working Indie musicians but it’s very expensive by comparison and quite spread out.

One thing to consider. We are about to go through a massive world recession. You may want to stay put. London may soon be more affordable then it’s been in quite some time. Rising crime also leads to great art historically. Relaxed rents in cities lead to clusters of artists/creatives/musicians returning to cities and building their own thriving communities.
I myself will be keeping an eye on NYC and London as the a possible place to return soon.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear