The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I left Facebook and Instagram to focus on myself
Old 9th September 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 
Synth geek's Avatar
 

I left Facebook and Instagram to focus on myself

It was 2016, November to be exact. That I decided to get off Facebook for good! Facebook has not only gotten too big, but it has gotten out of hand. I even got tired of friends posting stuff, that I was already reading about in the news. I was also becoming tired of being solicited by young women want me too look at their nude bodies. Which is still goin on in the me too movement. The real main reason for leaving Facebook was the constant scrolling, and wanting to see what new stuff people had posted, and I realized it was starting to take over my life, when I even had it on my iPhone. I would even look at it at work. If you don’t think Social media is not addictive and not like a drug, you are sooo wrong. Recently, I deleted my Instagram account as well, Because I was using Instagram, the same way I used Facebook! I often wonder is it really necessary to post 100’s of pictures of your self, not that i was doing that, but do I really need to share everything with the rest of the world? Probably not! There are better thing I can be doing with my time, then spending it on Social media. Reading, playing music, listening to music, going for a walk. Talking to live people, not just a screen.

Working on myself, and doing what I enjoy is better mentally for me, than constantly being online. For thousands of years, humans survived before the internet.

Old 9th September 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

You are better off. Social media is evil.
Old 9th September 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

The only reason I was on social media a couple years ago was to try a new business. That particular business didn't fly so I shut it all down.
I like to see the eyes of the person I'm talking to or at least hear their voice on the phone.
Old 12th September 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
Social media makes people behave antisocial. Why? Because is not natural to communicate via electronic devices. We are not made of electronic components, but of natural components. For business "social media" shouldn't be neglected, however.
Old 13th September 2019
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
I thought people joined those things to focus on themselves. And post pictures of their food.
Old 13th September 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I thought people joined those things to focus on themselves. And post pictures of their food.
Old 18th September 2019
  #7
As an expat, I find social media invaluable for avoiding feelings of “homesickness” (even though I’m home now).

I get it’s not all smiles, I get there’s bullying, abuse, a lot of trolls and fakeness and all that.

Still the good outweighs the bad for me.
Old 20th September 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
becks bolero's Avatar
F*** Facebook

-->a one way ticket to narcissistic wannabe celebretism: "hey look at me!!"

I get more out of interactive forums like this one
Old 10th October 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 
JWarren92's Avatar
 

Yeah Social media is definitely addictive, I often find myself just endlessly scrolling on Instagram / Facebook for no reason - such a waste of time. Facebook will be the first to go as in my opinion its getting pretty outdated and not many of my friends actively use it (apart from the messenger app which you don't need a facebook account for anymore)
Old 10th October 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
Before the internet and smartphones you could see many people on trains, subways, park benches and anywhere else they had to wait with a magazine or the newspaper up to there faces. No different today really except the fact that it's smaller and way more engaging if you want it to be.
I see little difference except that it's not as static or black and white.

Gearslutz and other forums are social networking too. Just a different formats.
I have two friend requests for example here that I just let sit there. I don't see the point.
Old 16th October 2019
  #11
Here for the gear
 

For personal life, it can be a drag. For some of us still out there playing music, it's pretty darn valuable.
Old 16th October 2019
  #12
Gear Head
 
Synth geek's Avatar
 

For business yes, it can be a powerful tool! I just had to delete my personal account. Not that I have a business one, but I understand where you are coming from with music.
Old 16th October 2019
  #13
Gear Nut
I'm such a unsocial dude that without social media I would be completely left outside of everything. Wouldn't know what my friends are up to, wouldn't know about good parties, wouldn't know what's going on around the town.

I think many got this wrong here, social media does not mean that you must post stuff about yourself. I've been to Facebook close to 10 years now. I've made less than 5 posts.
Old 2nd November 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I joined FB sometime in the early 2000's to try to track down the drummer I used to play with in high school. I found him immediately and did the FB schmooze for maybe 6 months. I realized early on how dysfunctinoal it was for me and since I do not own a business had no need to remain active so I got out and have not regretted it one iota. To my mind, FB is were people either complain, talk about themsellves or say stupid and unintersting things. I'm sure I miss a great post here and there but I am clear of that added negativity and silliness. The social media thing horrifies me. Oh, and I never have and never will take a selfie. :-)
Old 25th November 2019
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Good, because all these smartphone alerts makes you lose focus and stops the inspiration for sure. Another addictive thing I myself completely cut out are news portals/apps.
I don't understand the need for FB/Instagram to listen to music like some are writing above.
Old 25th November 2019
  #16
Deleted 38a4a95
Guest
Never been on Facebook.
Had been on Diaspora for a couple of days but didnt see the point so I quit.

But I do have a tumblr page now.
Old 11th January 2020
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Hi,
it's a good idea to get out of social media when you feel that it's taking too much of your time than it should be. Enjoy the real life!


jiofi.local.htmltplinkloginis it down
Old 1st February 2020
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Social media has done more harm than good for our society.
Old 3rd February 2020
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecloud134 View Post
Social media has done more harm than good for our society.
I disagree. There's lots of good things. However like anything, and especially with tech, there's down sides too.
Old 14th February 2020
  #20
Deleted 38a4a95
Guest
Study: Facebook quitters report more life satisfaction, less depression and anxiety

https://boingboing.net/2020/02/10/st...ers-repor.html
Old 14th February 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Isn't this a form of social media?
Old 14th February 2020
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Isn't this a form of social media?
Yes. And I love GS for what it is.

I did Facebook for something like three hours and thought- why the heck do I want to be here? To hear from people from high school? Nope. So I deleted it.

However, there's some decent arts communities on Facebook that you need to be a member to enter. The only reason I'd join is to get access to those. Or to check out the availability of Audioscape stuff. I'd never "friend" anyone as I don't care what they post. Instagram? I'm on it but don't use it.

If I ran a business, I'd definitely be on social media.

Then again, there's Reddit. There's so much cool and informative stuff on there about all kinds of subjects. I don't spend much time on it, but it's a fantastic resource. Especially for steampunk vegan B-cup gifs (just kidding, but I'm sure it's on there).
Old 14th February 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Yes. And I love GS for what it is.

I did Facebook for something like three hours and thought- why the heck do I want to be here? To hear from people from high school? Nope. So I deleted it.
Yes, it's funny because I culled my FB friends list to only include close people who I know and still want to communicate with. Funny thing is, none of them post much at all as they are tired of the whole thing too.

I've joined quite a few groups on FB, trying to communicate with like minded individuals, Synth, Guitar, Engineering, Composing, etc. groups. Still, there's so much noise there. About 1 out of 10 posts on each group is interesting and the rest are "What is the best..." and "I've got $300, what should I buy..." posts with 100 answers, people just shouting brand names at each other.

There are a couple of forums I'm on where you're not allowed to use handles, real names only, and have to be verified as active in an industry to participate.
Those forums really are different from the rest of the avenues for conversation and information. Taking away the distance and anonymity really creates a space for valuable knowledge sharing.
Old 14th February 2020
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
About 1 out of 10 posts on each group is interesting and the rest are "What is the best..." and "I've got $300, what should I buy..." posts with 100 answers, people just shouting brand names at each other.
It sounds eerily familiar (just kidding )


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Yes, it's funny because I culled my FB friends list to only include close people who I know and still want to communicate with. Funny thing is, none of them post much at all as they are tired of the whole thing too.
I'm thinking of using an alias to keep people away. "Lorne Ipsum" comes to mind.
Old 14th February 2020
  #25
Deleted 38a4a95
Guest
Inside Mark Zuckerberg's Lost Notebook
https://www.wired.com/story/facebook...lost-notebook/

TL;DR on Cory Doctorows Twitter: https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1227760300822159362

In this long excerpt on Wired, Levy describes how Zuckerberg sequestered himself after getting professional managers to run the company and filled a notebook with grandiose plans for world domination.

He then spent years trickling these notes out to engineers and product managers, who'd come into work to find xeroxed pages from it on their keyboards, which they were expected to treat as holy writ.

Zuck destroyed the notebook (to protect his privacy!) (!!) (!!!!!!).

But Levy got 17 pages, and he reports them out in this section. They reveal Zuck planning to do a bunch of seriously creepy stuff while fretting that people will find it creepy.

Most notably, Zuck wants to create "shadow profiles" for people NOT on Facebook, that anyone can create by giving an email address and name to the system and then populate with any data they want about the person who is NOT using the service.

//

Haven't read the full story yet but I think it's a must read
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump